Question?

barnyard

KTM rider
The only time I have driven with the bulkhead door open is pulling from a dock so that I do not forget to close the back doors. Even if it was not a safety issue, I would prefer it closed, why too much dust.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only time I have driven with the bulkhead door open is pulling from a dock so that I do not forget to close the back doors. Even if it was not a safety issue, I would prefer it closed, why too much dust.

When I had my country run and I wanted to get rid of the peanuts and other crap in the pkg car, I would find a desolate back road, open both the bulkhead and rear doors, get it up to about 55 mph or so, which would blow the majority of the crap out and then slow down really fast, which would blow the rest of the crap out through the front doors.

How many of you have ever left the DIAD resting on the rear bumper (pre-Telematics) only to realize it when you got to your next stop?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
A properly set camera does not show the door or handle. The camera is there for backing up not to make are your bulkhead door is closed.

Well, considering that the bulkhead door is the door from the cab to the package area, a camera wouldn't see that, would it?

At least not until they put them in the cabs

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
five blocks from large multinational co with p1000 full of new laptops for sales force before seeing them in the mirror, turned around to retrieve, believe i found all of them but the ones ran over by same employees from this co leaving work might not have worked when sales people recieved them. Only person i told was bid driver from this route as i was his reg cover driver. of course many years before the fine electronics of ups today, never heard a word about it, asumed they figured damaged in transit but damn about 30 of them and no questions, we did ship out about 20,000 in a 3 week period. chain on door since then

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
When I had my country run and I wanted to get rid of the peanuts and other crap in the pkg car, I would find a desolate back road, open both the bulkhead and rear doors, get it up to about 55 mph or so, which would blow the majority of the crap out and then slow down really fast, which would blow the rest of the crap out through the front doors.

How many of you have ever left the DIAD resting on the rear bumper (pre-Telematics) only to realize it when you got to your next stop?

DIADs are tough. The very first version--the real big ones--I had it on the dash instead of the slot, hit a bump in the road and that DIAD bounced off the dash, onto the steps, and it was like slow motion. The door was open and I was going about 35 MPH, and that DIAD just danced around the steps before it hopped out into traffic.

When I first went driving, I was a wreck. This was when we did shipper numbers and package id's on duplicate paper. I got in such a hurry one time, I had one of those old, steel breakdown four-wheelers. I don't know how, but I left it in front of the package car while I was loading my truck. Well, so rushed was I, that I didn't see it when I took off. I thought hit something, like a car bumper, so I stopped and got out to check. Horrified, I saw that my steel four-wheeler was under my axle. I backed up and got out and checked the damage. My four wheeler was completely bent in half, V-Shaped. I tossed it in a garbage bin and called in and said someone stole it.

If I thought about it much, I could probably think of a million stories where I effed up. Point is, you newbies will not do anything that hasn't been done many, many times before. But, it's a different company now, so you won't get away with too many mistakes like us grey beards did.

Big Babooba

It kind of reminds me of the old joke about men masturbating: there are two kinds of men who masturbate, those who do, and those who admit it.

Any driver who has driven for any amount of time has forgot about the back door at least once. Now many won't admit it, but we all have. Back in the 90's, one of my last pickups was an AT&T data center. This was so long ago that what I picked up was old data tapes. They looked like reel-to-reel tapes. If you have to ask, Google. Anyway, this was a full P-1000 of those tapes. Last pickup. Closed the door, drove a few miles to the interstate, and drove about 10 miles back to the building. I pulled up to the air trailer to unload my air. I opened up my bulkhead door, and I about crapped my pants when I saw the building lights through my back door. That door was open! Oh :censored2:!! When I finished loading the truck, it was full to the ceiling. Now, I could see through the back door.

A few drivers that came back after me, on one of the busiest interstates in Kansas City, said it looked like the road was littered with album sized boxes all the way back to UPS.

Yeah, I freaked, thought I was fired for sure, so I found my steward at the bar he always hung out in. Mind you, this was before the DIAD era, so none of this was traceable. He told me to calm down and act like it never happened. And nothing ever did, because these were tapes addressed to the entire country, and UPS was a different company back then, but never again did I forget to chain that back door.

Talk about outing yourself!:surprised:

I can go better than that but the story won't appear here until after I retire!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I can go better than that but the story won't appear here until after I retire!

Yeah, but some of the best stories come from the management side. We had a sup doing a pickup on a busy city street in a bulk van. He backed off the street towards the dock. Somehow, he neglected to see two cars parked by the dock, and managed to back up, and ON the front of those cars. He couldn't figure out how he couldn't get backed up squarely to the dock. True story.

Johney

A properly set camera does not show the door or handle. The camera is there for backing up not to make are your bulkhead door is closed.
Every truck I've drove in my center you can see the bumper in the camera. Also if your truck had swinging rear doors you would see them open. Different centers different flavor maybe?

edit: also you can use the camera for hooking up TP60's.(at least in our building)

oldupsman

I was usually pretty good at learning my lessons. Left my rear door open one time. From then on I always chained my rear door.
Left a Diad 1 on my rear bumper one time. Went half mile down the road to my next stop when I realized I had done it. Went running to the rear of the car and it was still sitting there.
Just plain lucky. Never did it again. Had a runaway in my first year. And this confession comes from a 30 year safe driver. As the lady of the house was signing for the
package she calmly says, "Your truck is rolling down the street." I turn around and see the car slowly rolling backwards down the street. Luckily it was only a slight incline.
I take off in a full sprint and catch the car. Never happened again. I got some really cheap lessons.

satellitedriver

Happened to me just yesterday.
I had two 150lb pkg's the size of a small coffin an slid them out the backdoor scanned them and set the DIAD on the bumper.
After humping them, I threw the dolly in the car and headed to the next stop.
When I stopped and reached for my DIAD I saw the empty hole.
I searched the shelves then opened the backdoor and that sweetheart was still sitting on the bumper.
Sigh of relief and on to the next delivery.

Johney

I have never left it on the bumper, but I have left it in the back of the truck only to have it fall behind packages and take forever to find it. It is a sick feeling to get to your next stop only to see an empty DIAD holder.:anxious:

S

serenity now

I have never left it on the bumper, but I have left it in the back of the truck only to have it fall behind packages and take forever to find it. It is a sick feeling to get to your next stop only to see an empty DIAD holder.:anxious:

empty diad holder = throw up

W

want to retire

Here we go......paper days(aluminum holder good ole clipboard)......turn a good corner and out the door she goes....landed in a foot deep, water filled curb...

Very first version of diad, big one......put it on the bumper and had to reposition the pkg car to let a forklift out the big overhead door(at del stop).....the receiving guy says"hey man here's your clipboard.....you ran over it...." yes, yes I did. I called into the center and they said"what? say again....you ran over it?" The sup came out and gave me another.....never heard a word about it......but the center manager did stare at me for an uncomfortable time at rtb. The screen smeared and cracked and the whole diad was kinda like a parallelogram. Good times.

W

want to retire

Have you ever driven your package car and forgot to close the backdoor? I accidentally did that today.

Yep, made it all the way back to the building(30 miles), full of pkgs and all the nda right where I loaded them.....in the back! I always packed everything tight so if an unexpected large amount was picked up....I'd only have to touch it once. NDA one side 2da other and so on.....