Questions about driving school

John38

I'm currently getting ready to go to driving school. I'm not going to intergrad I'm going to Harrisburg, which I hear is a good thing. I have my 5 seeing habits memorized to the t. But I'm having trouble with my ten point commentary and I'm stressing over it and I leave Sunday night for classes Monday. What should I be expecting? And if I should fail what happens? Thank you

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
First off, change your avatar. Don't let them see you.

Second stop thinking about failure. You've lost if you've already thought about what will happen if you fail. You have 5 days to study. Just keep focusing on it. When you have free time just keep looking at it. If you know that going in your experience will be much easier. Ultimately, don't stress. You don't need a PHD to pass driving school.

John38

Thank you! Just nervous. I have to meet my HR lady tomorrow to present them in front of her so kinda nervous to hear what she has to say lol

Brownpride

When I went to driving school they gave us three chances to pass the written DOK's test. If by the third time you didn't pass the test you were disqualify and sent home .

We took the test first thing in the mornings on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

By The Book

I'm currently getting ready to go to driving school. I'm not going to intergrad I'm going to Harrisburg, which I hear is a good thing. I have my 5 seeing habits memorized to the t. But I'm having trouble with my ten point commentary and I'm stressing over it and I leave Sunday night for classes Monday. What should I be expecting? And if I should fail what happens? Thank you
Give your ten point commentary card to someone who can test you on it. The five seeing eye habits are harder for me than the 10 point commentary. Think of them as if you are sitting in the package car at a stoplight. Then think of them as if you are to drive a ways down the road and make a delivery. Most of them are in order for the drive. You should expect to be tested on all the safety questions, a drive with the trainer, backing up the package car against a building, all the diad training on a computer, and you won't fail!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Talk to a few drivers and make sure this is something you want to do for the next 30 years. Make sure you talk to that female in your avatar as well if she's a keeper. You'll both need to understand if you make something of this as a driver, you'll have to schedule your life around UPS. Becoming a driver isn't accepting a job, it's accepting a lifestyle.

John38

I passed my road test the first time but I've heard if you fail it you have to wait a year. Is school similar to that? But thanks! I'm comfortable enough with my other safety info. Just not the ten point.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Like frigid said, Don't let it eat you up. Study it every chance you get, tho. You will be expected to recite the 5 seeing habits, 10 point commentary, etc. You will have to nail them. You will be required to recite them verbatim. Most everyone here has had to do it. Don't be that guy who threw away a chance at a 90k job because he didn't want to spend the time to memorize a few pages of rules. Be ready. Good luck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I passed my road test the first time but I've heard if you fail it you have to wait a year. Is school similar to that? But thanks! I'm comfortable enough with my other safety info. Just not the ten point.

I would think if my future depended upon memorizing ten simple sentences I would spend every spare moment doing just that.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
ROTE. Read it a loud again and again. Start from the bottom and work your way up, then reverse. Once you make book, forget it.

Good luck.

Another repetitive topic about driving school. Search before posting please. Just memorize your 5 seeing habits and 10 point.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
there is a trick to learn the 10 point commentary. the number can correspond with the point.

example. 1. one car length. 2. look left right left. ( 2 L's) 3. count 1-2-(3) 4. 4 to 6 seconds 5. check mirrors 5-8 seconds

6. scan steering wheels ( 2 S's scan and stale ) 7. stale green lights 8. 8-12 seconds eye lead time. 9. pulling from curb ( really no clue here)

10. make eye contact ( 10 letters in eye contact )

once you use the number to give you the clue its fairly easy to remember the rest. I think its called word association.

relax and good luck.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Give your ten point commentary card to someone who can test you on it. The five seeing eye habits are harder for me than the 10 point commentary. Think of them as if you are sitting in the package car at a stoplight. Then think of them as if you are to drive a ways down the road and make a delivery. Most of them are in order for the drive. You should expect to be tested on all the safety questions, a drive with the trainer, backing up the package car against a building, all the diad training on a computer, and you won't fail!
this is excellent advice as well. even in your personal car you can practice the 10 point commentary at every intersection, stop sign , and while driving. I did this quite a bit before ride alongs and to stay sharp. I even taught them to my grown children because I noticed they were sloppy with their driving, tailgating and not using eye lead time, etc.

I think every driver in America should be required to learn the 5 and 10.

Box Ox

I'm comfortable enough with my other safety info. Just not the ten point.

Had to get it all word for word in my class. Every single one on the sheets I was given to memorize the week before class. Be careful about using a 10 Point Commentary card to memorize it because they typically give only the basic idea of what each Point is. Not the full sentences with all the words you might have to know verbatim.

jbg77

Record you reading them on your phone. Play it over and over while driving in the bathroom etc. Use note cards as well. Use word association such as 1. One car length in front of you when stopped in traffic. 2. Look left right left...note that it says left twice. 3 count 123 ...most of these you can pick out key words to help.

Cgs1226

Sorry, but this isn't exactly in order. Passed my road test a couple days ago and was given the sheet for ten point commentary and number 1 is starting up at intersection - left right left. number 2 is when stopped in traffic one car length. So careful.