Questions about driving

Re-Raise

No insult meant on the "easy job" comment. I know for myself, I believe the unloading job should start at $20 / hour, and driver at $8.50. Unloading is pure hell hard labor. Driving is like taking a nap compared to unloading.

The 'Chosen One' has returned. I love how you know eveything about a job some of us have been doing for years after three months. If you are driving at all it is air on Saturdays which isn't even the same job as a full-time driver. How many routes have you run blind ? How did you handle the last ice storm you delivered in ? I don't care whose ass you attach your lips to, it doesn 't override seniority. A UPS career is a marathon not a sprint. I don't care how great you think you did today , new pkgs are still going to come in tomorrow and you get to do it all over again.

blackcircle

Definition - Bank - Noun - The place I am laughing all the way to.

To the original poster - The cliche "good things come to those who wait" appears to be the motto to most here. And if you want to wait, feel free to do so.

If you want something, at UPS, in life, you go after it. Hard. Let every person who is wearing a suit know you want to be a driver. Tell them you want to drive saturday air. Tell them you want to go to integrad. Tell them every day. Twice a day. Make the HR Manager's office your second home.

Now, if you are a schlub, a slacker, a below-average performer at what you are doing, then I don't know. Excell at everything you do, for yourself to be noticed in a positive way, and you will drive sooner.

I'm at UPS just over 3 months, thank GOD I didn't take to heart the "set in stone" attitude that prevails here. I'm driving, and I love it. Can't believe I'm getting paid what I am to do such an easy, enjoyable job.

Ass kissing doesn't make up for seniority and you must live out in the boonies to have gotten a driving position so soon. How many trailers does your center run a day? Here the wait time for full time driving is 3-4 years and Saturday is about a year regardless of whether your nose is brown too.

verpiss dich, bitte :happy2:

sx2700

Banned
CementUPS stated the facts, 1989 repeated it and I endorse it. It's all about seniority. You are young. Take your licks, climb the ladder and enjoy an early union retirement if you so choose.

From what I've read in other threads, unless you're putting 15% into an IRA, I wouldn't get too excited about that "union" retirement.

Re-Raise

Ass kissing doesn't make up for seniority and you must live out in the boonies to have gotten a driving position so soon. How many trailers does your center run a day? Here the wait time for full time driving is 3-4 years and Saturday is about a year regardless of whether your nose is brown too.

verpiss dich, bitte :happy2:

I 'm glad I am not the only one who sees it this way. This BBAG is God's gift to UPS. Apparently if he hadn't walked in our doors we would have a truck full of boxes sitting at his center with no one to deliver them. He would have us believe there are no part-timers in his center who want to go from $40 a day to $300 a day. He posts how quickly he will drive and even when he will have his own route. He needs to learn 'humility' I would love to have a rookie with his cocky attitude come to our center and see how long he lasts. Wanting something and working toward it is admirable talking about how great you will be at it is just arrogant. Pay your dues rookie.

browniehound

From what I've read in other threads, unless you're putting 15% into an IRA, I wouldn't get too excited about that "union" retirement.

Agreed. My opinion is you want a full-time job ASAP at UPS, but not necessarily a package car driving job.

I say this because the earlier you start the earlier you will be damaging your body. Here in New England we need 30 years and 57 years of age to collect a decent pension and age 64 to collect a full pension.

If you start driving at 21, you will have to do so for 36-43 years! This is physically impossible in my opinion!

So, my suggestion is if you're 17 (is this right?) and living at home grab a 22.3 job or full-time air driving job ASAP. These jobs don't pay as much as a full-time package car driver but will not do as much damage on your body.

Then save your money and stay at home as long as possible, lol! When mom kicks you out around 30 lol :funny:, you should have at least 50K in the bank and another 100K in your 401K (with 29 years of contributions and growth ahead!) and senoirity to grab a decent full-time package route!

So now you have a nice down-payment for a house, a secure full-time job that will pay you 70-80K/year, your health, youth, a growing retirement account, and the possibility of collecting a pension (I left this last because I believe its the least secure income source when you are 57-64).

You are golden kid! Just follow this plan and you will be a millionare by age 50. I wish I could start again at 17 and follow this advice!

Good luck, but luck should have nothing to with it, your youth and plan will get you there!

:peaceful:,
Brownie

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
The 'Chosen One' has returned. I love how you know eveything about a job some of us have been doing for years after three months. If you are driving at all it is air on Saturdays which isn't even the same job as a full-time driver. How many routes have you run blind ? How did you handle the last ice storm you delivered in ? I don't care whose ass you attach your lips to, it doesn 't override seniority. A UPS career is a marathon not a sprint. I don't care how great you think you did today , new pkgs are still going to come in tomorrow and you get to do it all over again.

I 'm glad I am not the only one who sees it this way. This BBAG is God's gift to UPS. Apparently if he hadn't walked in our doors we would have a truck full of boxes sitting at his center with no one to deliver them. He would have us believe there are no part-timers in his center who want to go from $40 a day to $300 a day. He posts how quickly he will drive and even when he will have his own route. He needs to learn 'humility' I would love to have a rookie with his cocky attitude come to our center and see how long he lasts. Wanting something and working toward it is admirable talking about how great you will be at it is just arrogant. Pay your dues rookie.

:happy2:

I say this seriously, not as a rebuttal, not as a way to win an argument (as you really have just expressed your opinion)

There is not a day that goes by in my employment at UPS where I don't THANK GOD for my co-workers with attitudes / feelings such as yours.

I don't know who you are specifically, but I see you every day at work. You have been thru the school of hard knocks, you have been thru the steps, and you'll be DAMNED before you see someone do it quicker that you. You used to have to walk to school every day, 7 days a week, uphill, both ways. You ate dirt for breakfast, but you were THANKFUL for that dirt, yadda yadda yadda....

You see me daily, and you feel compelled to come up to me and say I won't hack unloading. Then when I do, I won't drive Saturdays, then I won't get to go to school, then I won't be able to drive. Now it is I won't be able to handle, what, a catagory 5 hurricane at 10:30 PM with two flat tires in the dark. Whatever. You'd figure that one, I really don't care about what you are saying and two, that you would learn after being wrong so often.

Everything to you is a negative. You have to work to hard, you have too many stops, your feet hurt. I see it as a sunny day, I get a free workout, and I have a chance for overtime.

I'm positive that, if you were to look closely at your co-workers, that there are others like me passing you by in your shop also, just not so vocal here. Someone that is happy to be employed, thinks the pay is fantastic for the actual work involved, and is simply happy for the opportunity.

A few important points I want you to think about prior to letting your fingers type before your brain engages -

1. I have never, not once, anywhere on this board said I was good at anything. I defy you to find somewhere where I was. Although, as Will Rogers used to say, "It Ain't Braggin If Ya Done It"

2. Don't you dare even pretend to understand who I am, what I am about, whether I need humility or not. If you knew me, my life, what I have been thru, you would never think about suggesting I learn humility.

3. Look inside yourself for a second. Don't worry, it won't take too long. Ask yourself why you have to post the type of response you have. Is your life really that empty that you gain worth by stomping on others?

Finally, and maybe this will help with why I post what I do;

This is a job. That is all this is, something to take some time out of my day so I can get some green to live along with my family. It is a tool. I am not what I do during the day. Since I don't revolve my life around this, I tend to play it as a game (one that I happen to enjoy and that pays me well) How quickly can I get how far? That adds enjoyment for me. Your posting as you do only fuels that.

So, anyway, keep up the good work - and thanks for the motivation.

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone this part - Nobody's listening, right? ok...

I was hired by a person, a human being. A little book saying "UPS Master Agreement" did not interview me, does not pay me. I laugh out loud every time someone mentions "Seniority" and how that makes what I do impossible. I've tried talking to the little book, but it doesn't answer.

The GOOD thing about this is, when I work my ass off to advance, it is the person that makes the decision to move me forward, not the little book. The good thing about dealing with the person is, they can make decisions, they get my paperwork to the right place. Who am I to judge should they put themselves in a position where there is a potential for a grievance?

If a manager wants to put an unloader directly into a route, tomorrow, they can. They may openm themselves up to a future grievance, but they can. Do you understand what I am saying? I didn't think so.

Anyway, what also amuses me is that I am doing what every other person out there can do, but chooses not to.

I'll let you know how I make out during peak, in the snow, with three flat tires, like you say I must do before I'm a "real" driver, like you.

TCO - The Chosen One (Sorry, it makes me laugh)

upsgrunt

BBAG-
Again, I will offer my congratulations on your fast track to driving, but let me also offer a few suggestions of my own.

1. Take your own advice and don't try to evaluate who WE are just by the experiences you have had with a few. You don't appreciate the criticism, and neither do we.

2. This job is exciting and fun when you first start out,(as most any new job is); let's get a reading on your attitude in about 10 or 12 years. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful and mostly enjoy my driving job, but it is far from "easy". When you "down play" a job that some of us have put our hearts and lives into, it kind of grates on OUR nerves

3. You may have set the world record for becoming a driver the soonest, but remember it can go south just as easy. When you become not so much of an asset, you will get that "kicked to the curb" treatment just like so many of us have.

4. Be careful of the people you step on during your trip up the ladder----- you just might meet them on the way down.

Again, concrats and good luck with whatever comes your way!

Steve

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
BBAG-
Again, I will offer my congratulations on your fast track to driving, but let me also offer a few suggestions of my own.

1. Take your own advice and don't try to evaluate who WE are just by the experiences you have had with a few. You don't appreciate the criticism, and neither do we.

2. This job is exciting and fun when you first start out,(as most any new job is); let's get a reading on your attitude in about 10 or 12 years. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful and mostly enjoy my driving job, but it is far from "easy". When you "down play" a job that some of us have put our hearts and lives into, it kind of grates on OUR nerves

3. You may have set the world record for becoming a driver the soonest, but remember it can go south just as easy. When you become not so much of an asset, you will get that "kicked to the curb" treatment just like so many of us have.

4. Be careful of the people you step on during your trip up the ladder----- you just might meet them on the way down.

Again, concrats and good luck with whatever comes your way!

Steve

Steve - Excellent - Thank you.

I apologize - Sorry if I insulted in any way - all are damn fine points I will take to heart.

Re-Raise

Where did you get the idea i hate my job ? I love my job. I have a bid route on an area where my wife and I built a house on my family"s farm.
I am a college grad who paid my dues part-time until I gained enough seniority to get a full-time position. I have been at UPS 22 years and I think you and I are about the same age. Other than our age I am judging from your posts that we couldn't be more different. I respect all the part-timers in my center who show up every day and do their jobs, I don't respect ass-kissing. My center manager is one of my best friends but I would never even suggest that he break the contract for me. You say you will have your own route in 4 months , do you consider yourself the only capable part-timer in your center?

Re-Raise

Definition - Bank - Noun - The place I am laughing all the way to.

To the original poster - The cliche "good things come to those who wait" appears to be the motto to most here. And if you want to wait, feel free to do so.

If you want something, at UPS, in life, you go after it. Hard. Let every person who is wearing a suit know you want to be a driver. Tell them you want to drive saturday air. Tell them you want to go to integrad. Tell them every day. Twice a day. Make the HR Manager's office your second home.

Now, if you are a schlub, a slacker, a below-average performer at what you are doing, then I don't know. Excell at everything you do, for yourself to be noticed in a positive way, and you will drive sooner.

I'm at UPS just over 3 months, thank GOD I didn't take to heart the "set in stone" attitude that prevails here. I'm driving, and I love it. Can't believe I'm getting paid what I am to do such an easy, enjoyable job.

"Our future leaders will be our people who today, are forging ahead, MODESTLY and QUIETLY. They are plain, simple people who are doing their best on their present jobs...whatever those jobs may happen to be. Such people will not fail when called for bigger things."....Jim Casey

I think I 'll take Jim's philosophy over yours. As far as laughing all the way to the bank I would guess they are laughing too when a 43 year old cashes a $100 pay check every week.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Where did you get the idea i hate my job ? I love my job. I have a bid route on an area where my wife and I built a house on my family"s farm.
I am a college grad who paid my dues part-time until I gained enough seniority to get a full-time position. I have been at UPS 22 years and I think you and I are about the same age. Other than our age I am judging from your posts that we couldn't be more different. I respect all the part-timers in my center who show up every day and do their jobs, I don't respect ass-kissing. My center manager is one of my best friends but I would never even suggest that he break the contract for me. You say you will have your own route in 4 months , do you consider yourself the only capable part-timer in your center?

I'd love to respond, duke it out with you verbally - I love a good discussion. But I ask myself - what good can come from it?

You've given me nothing to work with - your next line would be some comment about my mother, etc....

omgitsnick

When i was being employed, we had this old guy in his 40's that really wanted to drive. The HR manager told him that UPS is seniority based and you have to work your way up. he even said he was hazmat certified and such and had his license. The HR siad it is senority based and said it doesnt matter.

im not knocking this guy but i doubt he waltzed in and got a drivers job.

All online communities have trolls.:smart:

Re-Raise

I'd love to respond, duke it out with you verbally - I love a good discussion. But I ask myself - what good can come from it?

You've given me nothing to work with - your next line would be some comment about my mother, etc....

I say you should respect the other workers in your building and the ideals that this company were founded on, and you compare that to insulting your mother. Go buy your boss some doughnuts, I have to go deliver now, or take a nap as you call it.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
When i was being employed, we had this old guy in his 40's that really wanted to drive. The HR manager told him that UPS is seniority based and you have to work your way up. he even said he was hazmat certified and such and had his license. The HR siad it is senority based and said it doesnt matter.

im not knocking this guy but i doubt he waltzed in and got a drivers job.

All online communities have trolls.:smart:

You are correct. I don't waltz

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I say you should respect the other workers in your building and the ideals that this company were founded on, and you compare that to insulting your mother. Go buy your boss some doughnuts, I have to go deliver now, or take a nap as you call it.

I DO respect the other employees I work with, of that there is no doubt. If I ever said anything differently, it certainly was not intentional.

If you took insult to my opinion that drivers should be started at $8.50 / hour and unloaders should start at $28.50 / hour, well, it wasn't meant as an insult at all; If I had to choose between working 10 hours driving at $8.50/hr, or 10 hours unloading at $28.50/hr, I would pick the driving.

johnhammer

Hi I just started working at ups a few months ago and I really want a driving job when I turn 21 I was wondering if someone could tell me how I go about getting a driving job what they are looking for and also how long the process could take and how exactly they choose drivers? Thanks

Contact HR, ask them about driving job you a looking for. Keep a clean driving record. keep you body drug free. (you will be taking a drug test) and in you building there should a posting board of job openings (Bids) make it a point to look at it often.
Get your ducks in a row now, so it will be easy to jump into the position when available.:thumbup1:

Fnix

Do you have to be 21 to bid for classification and/or take the test? Or can you take it under 21 to get it out of the way?

Re-Raise

No insult meant on the "easy job" comment. I know for myself, I believe the unloading job should start at $20 / hour, and driver at $8.50. Unloading is pure hell hard labor. Driving is like taking a nap compared to unloading.

Wow that certainly was a refreshing nap I took today. So how many hours and packages does an experienced air driver like yourself get a week. You don't think maybe you should try delivering an actual route before you feel competent to make a statement like this. And since you will have your own route in 4 months I would like to learn more about the world you live in. Do you have free-hire periods, coverage drivers or a rule that the bottom 10% of the full-time drivers can't bid routes? Also is the sky blue there and do you have gravity or can you fly around like a little bird?