Questions About Home Delivery and Ground.

vantexan

It's occurred to me that it might be worthwhile to spend a few years working for Ground after my pension starts if I can get hired in an area with low rent, possibly out on the plains, maybe Kansas. So realistically, how much on average a year does a Ground driver or Home Delivery driver make? Is Home Delivery strictly residential delivery(my preference)? If FedEx isn't going to pay Express much better, and I can supplement my pay with a $20k annual pension, seems I'd come out way ahead. What's the point of staying with Express if all we do is get by with them? And I know how tempting it is for some to jump in here and slam Ground but it may be a question you'd like to know too if you're near retirement and have a pension coming to you.

STFXG

Home Delivery pays significantly less than Ground to the contractor so many contractors pay less. Depends on the contractor. Most here do piece rate for HD and salary for Ground. Usually around $1 per stop and average 80-150 stops depending on the route. I've seen HD routes knock out well over 200 stops on a busy day.

They do some businesses because the shipper designates the package as HD. But the good majority is drop and knock resi's. So you can knock out a lot of stops quickly.

Also, you would rarely have a pickup. Most rural areas don't have the evening delivery option so you'd be done when you drop your last stop. Most in my building are done by 3.

HD is VERY easy. If you can find a route with some windshield time it wouldn't be a bad retirement gig.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's occurred to me that it might be worthwhile to spend a few years working for Ground after my pension starts if I can get hired in an area with low rent, possibly out on the plains, maybe Kansas. So realistically, how much on average a year does a Ground driver or Home Delivery driver make? Is Home Delivery strictly residential delivery(my preference)? If FedEx isn't going to pay Express much better, and I can supplement my pay with a $20k annual pension, seems I'd come out way ahead. What's the point of staying with Express if all we do is get by with them? And I know how tempting it is for some to jump in here and slam Ground but it may be a question you'd like to know too if you're near retirement and have a pension coming to you.

Why would you abuse yourself and continue to serve Fred S as a Ground driver? Isn't there something else you'd rather do? Or, at the very least, do it for someone else?

Did you break into a box of Limbaugh's Oxycontin?

HomeDelivery

if your management team at the local HD terminal are good, then you can do it very easily...

I cover so many routes because they know how to use the VRP system that we don't have ANY "zeroes" in one terminal... they even properly place those stops in new streets that isn't even on my GPS yet
if they can do that properly, having "area knowledge" is a bonus, but i can quickly learn a route in 3 days.

i'll run into a few misplots that the system incorrectly placed, like 123 East Main St instead of 123 West Main St

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
w/ Ground, they don't want to use the VRP for some reason, but i know they have it since i did cover some routes for a short time there a few years ago... they just can't sync it w/ the timed dropoffs / pickup deadlines yet. having area knowledge for this division is a requirement or else you'll be out there all day

in my neck of the woods, $750-$900 during the non-peak periods & some can break over $1k per week if they hustle and do above 150-200 stops per day

vantexan

Why would you abuse yourself and continue to serve Fred S as a Ground driver? Isn't there something else you'd rather do? Or, at the very least, do it for someone else?

Did you break into a box of Limbaugh's Oxycontin?

Pay has pretty much stalled in the last 5 years. I need to get some savings together and I seriously doubt I'll be much better off in 4 years when I turn 55 than I am now. Don't want to, may have to.

Thanks for the info guys. If I only grossed $30k a year at Ground I'd still make, with my pension, a couple thousand more than my best year at Express. And it's looking like 2007 will always be the best year I've had at Express.

bbsam

Staff member
It's possible to do a bit better. I have a driver grossing $52k, a couple at $43k and a few between $30k and $37k.

vantexan

Without details such as hours worked, both on and off road, benefits, those numbers don't mean squat.

If my dogs have passed away so that I don't need to get home to them I'd have no problem staying out until the work's done. I can understand needing benefits if you have a family but it's not my first priority.

MAKAVELI

Without details such as hours worked, both on and off road, benefits, those numbers don't mean squat.

If my dogs have passed away so that I don't need to get home to them I'd have no problem staying out until the work's done. I can understand needing benefits if you have a family but it's not my first priority.
Ok, so you are willing to work 12 hours a day with no benefits for that 52k. If so you would fit right in there at Ground.

vantexan

This is a public forum. So you are talking to everybody bro. That's why they have " private messages", if you didn't know. Now why don't you provide some details?

Actually I asked Ground and Home Delivery folks some questions that they were nice enough to answer. If you have specific questions ask them on your own thread. It's called "hijacking" a thread bro.

vantexan

Ok, so you are willing to work 12 hours a day with no benefits for that 52k. If so you would fit right in there at Ground.

I've never made $52k at Express even though I've had years where I worked 6 days a week more than 40 weeks out of the year. I've heard rumors of topped out employees doing even better than $52k but as a lowly midrange peon I wouldn't know.

MAKAVELI

This is a public forum. So you are talking to everybody bro. That's why they have " private messages", if you didn't know. Now why don't you provide some details?

Actually I asked Ground and Home Delivery folks some questions that they were nice enough to answer. If you have specific questions ask them on your own thread. It's called "hijacking" a thread bro.

6:24 and vantexan is angry someone is " hijacking"his thread. How ironic.

MAKAVELI

I've never made $52k at Express even though I've had years where I worked 6 days a week more than 40 weeks out of the year. I've heard rumors of topped out employees doing even better than $52k but as a lowly midrange peon I wouldn't know.
If I worked 12 hours a day I would be making much more than 52k and I'm midrange as well. Think about it, that's 4 hours ot a day. Something ground does not see.