Questions about package handler position

hopefulupser

Hi all,

I am interested in a package handler position to supplement my income from my full time job and possibly at some point in the future continue on to a full time career at UPS. Anyway, I have a few quick questions about starting out as a package handler.

1. What time of the year does the hiring pick up again? I had looked on the website before xmas and there were a lot of positions, but not any in my area right now. Is there a certain point that it usually picks up again?

2. I travel at least several weeks a year, usually not all at the same time, but a week here and there. Is this going to be a problem? I am not so much concerned about PTO time or vacation days or anything like that because I figure they take a long time to accrue, I am more wondering if I can say that I will be out a week and how does that work? Do you look for someone to cover your shift? Are you even allowed to be out like this?

3. Which shift for package handler is best? (I know this is open for opinions!)
Thanks so much!

nystripe96

Just don't mention your travel concerns at the interview. Once you make book, the fact you have to take off won't matter too much. If its a large hub you're applying to they'll keep you around even if you miss many days. You just simply won't get paid for those days missed

UPSGUY72

Taking to many days off is going to get you fired. They just can't make an exception for certain drivers. UPS is union shop.

over9five

Staff member
Taking to many days off is going to get you fired. They just can't make an exception for certain drivers. UPS is union shop.
And yet in another thread you said drivers in your center could trade vacations without regard to seniority. Is your center a union shop?

air_dr

I have known of situations in the hub out of which I work where a loader who was college student and had an evening class was out a particular day of the week for a semester.

I have also known of air drivers who went on extended trips overseas to visit relatives.

I believe the answer to this person's question is it depends on the willingness of your sup to be flexible. I agree it is wise to NOT bring this up in the interview. The final thing is I believe sups are much more willing to be flexible with a person who is an otherwise good reliable worker and who clearly explains the situation and his needs. That's in contrast to the person who is just lazy when they come in and misses whenever they feel like it, giving no advance notice and opportunity for sups to make plans.

UPSGUY72

And yet in another thread you said drivers in your center could trade vacations without regard to seniority. Is your center a union shop?[/QUOTE]

Once you pick your vacation week that is your week if you want to trade it to someone else so be it.

Know where in the contract does it say you can't trade your vacation week and know where does it say that you have to give the next person on the seniority list first dibs. If it did it would basically be saying you can't trade vacation weeks what ever you pick is what you get no matter what.

The contract is open to interpretation I see thing oneway you see thing another way and someone else see things I'm sure another way.

Got to go have a letter box to pickup.