Questions about UPS Pilots

raceanoncr

Forget all this nonsense about gaining flying hours! It's all bunk! Here's the way you get into that plane:

As in feeders, your building will put up an "Airplane Drivers" school list. All that have the seniority will be able to sign the list. If not enough FTrs sign the list, it will go down to PTrs. If awarded the school bid list, you will be sent to a 40 hour non-paid school. If you pass this, you, then, will have to pass a 40 hour follow-up ride. After that, you're on your own.

Good luck, and, remember, "We're all counting on you".

F

FrigidAdCorrector

! it was nice. It was like an oasis in the desert. Leather recliners, flat screen tvs, places to lie down and sleep if you wanted, and air conditioned, in a building that only had AC in managements office.
One thing with cargo is you can sit for a while. Like our feeder guy gets in at 0800 and doesn't leave until 1930. They have to provide something so you can rest up or else you aren't legal to fly. Makes DOT rules look like a joke.
He applied here but couldn't get an interview and he has over 3500 hours turbine pic.
I believe it. I attended a presentation by Delta's hiring guy. He said he could pretty much pick and choose how ever he felt that day. He joked if a guy with blonde hair and blue eyes cut him off on his way to work he could filter them out of the computer and drop them and still have 2500 more applications to look at. Obviously an exaggeration. But it shows how competitive it is.
I've always wanted to learn how to fly, maybe one day I'll actually sign up for a flight school. I think it'd be fun know how.
It's a blast. It's an incredible feeling flying at dusk and watching the sunset. You feel like the man.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
I've always wanted to learn how to fly, maybe one day I'll actually sign up for a flight school. I think it'd be fun know how.

I have looked in to doing this as well---it is a minimum of $3K to start and will probably end up between $10-20K to get your license.

I finished mine in 43 hours around 4500. There are some schools that do a 2 week course from 0 hours to your cert. it's not cheap but for guys with schedules like ours it's doable. The more often you fly the more money your save, if that makes sense. I'm partnered on a plane. I know people who spend more each year playing golf than I for flying.

It changed my life. There is nothing like it. I've seen the Grand Canyon from the sky. Camped under the wing at fly-ins. It's all I think about, talk about etc. I'm the epitome of that old saying, how do you know if there is a pilot in the room? Don't worry he will tell you.

Take a discovery flight. See if you like it. If so get your medical exam out of the way early. Worst thing is to Fal in love with flying only to find out you can't pass the physical. It's not strenuous but some people have been denied/ given more paper work over minor things. Kidney stones. Find the old guys at the airport and tell them yr interested. I've met some really awesome people through aviation.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Take a discovery flight. See if you like it. If so get your medical exam out of the way early. Worst thing is to Fal in love with flying only to find out you can't pass the physical. It's not strenuous but some people have been denied/ given more paper work over minor things. Kidney stones. Find the old guys at the airport and tell them yr interested. I've met some really awesome people through aviation.

They charge $159 for a one hour discovery flight in which they let you take over, if the pilot feels comfortable, for 20 minutes or so.

Wouldn't our DOT physical suffice?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I finished mine in 43 hours around 4500.
I just have to ask, when did you do it? That comes out to about 104 an hour, which is pretty cheap. The cheapest I've heard anybody do it in the last 5 years is about 8000. Though obviously it depends on types. We fly 172s with G1000s, which run us about 200 an hour with an instructor.

UPS4Life

Forget all this nonsense about gaining flying hours! It's all bunk! Here's the way you get into that plane:

As in feeders, your building will put up an "Airplane Drivers" school list. All that have the seniority will be able to sign the list. If not enough FTrs sign the list, it will go down to PTrs. If awarded the school bid list, you will be sent to a 40 hour non-paid school. If you pass this, you, then, will have to pass a 40 hour follow-up ride. After that, you're on your own.

This is what I was hoping for! UPS taught me to drive a semi I'm sure they could teach me to fly a plane.... How hard could it be?

Sent using BrownCafe App

brett636

You forgot to mention they are only allowed 3 accidents a year or they will be on the street looking for another piloting gig.

brett636

I finished mine in 43 hours around 4500. There are some schools that do a 2 week course from 0 hours to your cert. it's not cheap but for guys with schedules like ours it's doable. The more often you fly the more money your save, if that makes sense. I'm partnered on a plane. I know people who spend more each year playing golf than I for flying.

It changed my life. There is nothing like it. I've seen the Grand Canyon from the sky. Camped under the wing at fly-ins. It's all I think about, talk about etc. I'm the epitome of that old saying, how do you know if there is a pilot in the room? Don't worry he will tell you.

When did you get your license? I've had mine for about 2 years now, but it cost me around $9k with me passing my checkride right at 51 hours. I've looked into airplane ownership, and while I want one really badly I just can't justify it right now. Looking into a local flying club as an alternative for a few years. Can I ask what kind of plane do you own and do you mind saying what you spend in maintenance annually for it?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Just for the Discovery Flight?
You don't need it for a discovery flight. But if you are going into it with the intention of getting your license I would have the medical. You can't log it otherwise. Hours end up being like gold until you finally get the license.

upsman68

It might be per their contract, but UPS seems to really take care of their pilots. I used to go pickup 2 air trailers every day at the airport Ups used to use here. (they have moved to IAH and built a nice building since.) This place was a dump. It was built in 1917 to train pilots for the military, and was abandoned except for NASA. UPS got a cheap lease on it. I accidently walked through an unmarked door and stumbled into the pilot's lounge. Whoa! it was nice. It was like an oasis in the desert. Leather recliners, flat screen tvs, places to lie down and sleep if you wanted, and air conditioned, in a building that only had AC in managements office. I have lived next door to a commercial pilot for about 15 years, and he has lots of toys, lol. Don't know the exact amount of hours he works, but he is home a LOT. Nice gig if you can swing it.

Did you run to EFD? I started there as a air ramp handler in 1989. When it rained there it turned into a lake. I then bid into the FWD Center as a ft time driver two years later. We moved to LC center when the air department moved to IAH.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Yes, I went to EFD. I kept a pair of rubber boots in a locker there. The rain had no where to go. It was all concrete. It was truly a dump. I went to LC every night the last couple of years of my career. If I had time to kill, sometimes I'd wander over by the NASA hangar. Their security took their jobs real serious. You'd thought it was area 51. lol

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
I just have to ask, when did you do it? That comes out to about 104 an hour, which is pretty cheap. The cheapest I've heard anybody do it in the last 5 years is about 8000. Though obviously it depends on types. We fly 172s with G1000s, which run us about 200 an hour with an instructor.

2009-2010. My school rented c-172s with a standard six pack for $70/hour wet. Instructors were $23 an hour. I never learned how to use a 430 till after getting my ppl. My instructor was awesome and she gave me a ton of ground for free. If you bought 10 hour blocks of time they gave a discount as well. I'm over 5500 if you count headset, study course for the written and checkride fees.

When did you get your license? I've had mine for about 2 years now, but it cost me around $9k with me passing my checkride right at 51 hours. I've looked into airplane ownership, and while I want one really badly I just can't justify it right now. Looking into a local flying club as an alternative for a few years. Can I ask what kind of plane do you own and do you mind saying what you spend in maintenance annually for it?

I'm in with 4 other partners on a 172. We just came out of annual squawk free for about $1700.00.which, in my 4 years with them is about average. Our worst year was last when we had to replace the air box and a tire. That was a $3800 annual, but I did assist the shop to save a couple hours of labor. One of the guys is an A+P so we do most of the small MX items ourselves. We have fixed mothly cost of $90 and rent wet for $75/hr. I have to fly about 3 hours a month to come out ahead from the field I trained at. Which is motivation enough.

I'm the same that I could never justify owning outright at this time, but I found these guys and it has worked out great. I flew 53 hours last year, the second highest guy only had 28 hours. They are all retired and fly during the week so it's almost like owning it myself as it's available anytime. But without the cost!

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
They charge $159 for a one hour discovery flight in which they let you take over, if the pilot feels comfortable, for 20 minutes or so.

Wouldn't our DOT physical suffice?
Dang!!! That's crazy high price. Ours is only $79 for the same thing.

The airmen physical wasn't much more than the dot. More questions etc. my ame flies out of my field so most of the exam was chit chat.