Questions about working with a disability

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm sure my coworkers will recognize me with this information if they read the forums. Oh well.

A few months ago I was diagnosed with a nerve disorder that affects my face. (Trigeminal Neuralgia) I work preload and am loved by my drivers and most of those who work close to me. My concerns are as follows.

1. Inability to speak on some days due to pain renders me unable to call out eregs.
2. Pain at times can make it difficult for me to focus, though my misload rate is less than everyone else on my metro. 2 for the month compared to as high as 30ish. Average load is around 1400 pieces with a pph of 200-220.
3. Recently need help far more often to finish loading on time.

Been with the company since July 2014. My full time supervisor assures me I am doing fine and to just keep them informed. I've called in once since my diagnosis, and I informed my supervisor well in advance that after a medical procedure I may not make it in the next day. Called him directly as well as the tower the day before I was going to be out.

I am a stubborn person so I don't care if I am puking my guts up between the grates, sobbing from pain or whatever. I will continue to do my job to the best of my ability until a supervisor sends me home. I tend to lose it more from frustration than anything; I detest that this pain has such a hold on me. I'm not talking pulled a muscle, or sore from busting my ass here. I'm talking pain that is off the charts. My own doc rated my pain at diagnosis at a 20 on a 10 scale.

I do know things I can do to help reduce pain. Narcotics won't touch nerve pain, so while I am on medication, it's not an opioid. I keep my fan off unless I am about to pass out as the airflow triggers my pain.

Other than documenting everything possible, would you have any other advice for me? I have to head out the door in 30 minutes for shift start, but will check back after work.

My mom had trigeminal neuralgia. Eventually her headaches got so bad she had to have brain surgery to cut a nerve to stop the pain. My wife also had it but not as severe. She kept it mostly under control with medication.

My mom had trigeminal neuralgia. Eventually her headaches got so bad she had to have brain surgery to cut a nerve to stop the pain. My wife also had it but not as severe. She kept it mostly under control with medication.

My doc wants to try injections to the face if oral meds don't work. So far only tried 2 meds. Nortriptyline and Lyrica, Lyrica did not like me; the Nortrip the dose is up to 150mg at the moment. Being in constant pain if very physically draining. I get the 24/7 burning of ATN, then the 'zaps' on the lower left 2/3rds of my face and the entire right side of my face is affected including my scalp. The burning is like my face is being tattooed by a heavy handed artist who drags the needle too fast, I get the ice pick stabs in my ear and neck, and when my scalp flares it feels like being hit in the head with a damn crow bar.

It's enough to make you stop in your tracks for a minute when the zaps hit, and after a night of that is normally when I am non verbal the following day. I feel like a neanderthal, communicating via pointing, grunting and writing notes in that damn crayon.

I feel for you to see two women you care about go through it. It's rough on the family and friends as well.

oldngray

nowhere special
My doc wants to try injections to the face if oral meds don't work. So far only tried 2 meds. Nortriptyline and Lyrica, Lyrica did not like me; the Nortrip the dose is up to 150mg at the moment. Being in constant pain if very physically draining. I get the 24/7 burning of ATN, then the 'zaps' on the lower left 2/3rds of my face and the entire right side of my face is affected including my scalp. The burning is like my face is being tattooed by a heavy handed artist who drags the needle too fast, I get the ice pick stabs in my ear and neck, and when my scalp flares it feels like being hit in the head with a damn crow bar.

It's enough to make you stop in your tracks for a minute when the zaps hit, and after a night of that is normally when I am non verbal the following day. I feel like a neanderthal, communicating via pointing, grunting and writing notes in that damn crayon.

I feel for you to see two women you care about go through it. It's rough on the family and friends as well.

My wife took Neurontin. An older medicine thats pretty strong but does have side effects.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
my spouse has tremendous nerve pain from multiple strokes. he doesn't get more than 45 minutes sleep , maybe twice a night. he drinks wine and takes ambien and other sleep aids just to get to sleep. a couple hrs sleep is a luxury.

we have tired almost everything. the only thing that seems to work is self medication with alcohol and pills which is very dangerous but he is willing to do anything to dull the pain.

someone posted getting some education to start a new career or maybe the small sort. maybe a change is necessary. sometimes a door closes and another one opens. a good one.

i wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy. hope you find some relief and if you do we all would appreciate if you come back here to the brown cafe and let us know how things are going.

my spouse has tremendous nerve pain from multiple strokes. he doesn't get more than 45 minutes sleep , maybe twice a night. he drinks wine and takes ambien and other sleep aids just to get to sleep. a couple hrs sleep is a luxury.

we have tired almost everything. the only thing that seems to work is self medication with alcohol and pills which is very dangerous but he is willing to do anything to dull the pain.

someone posted getting some education to start a new career or maybe the small sort. maybe a change is necessary. sometimes a door closes and another one opens. a good one.

i wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy. hope you find some relief and if you do we all would appreciate if you come back here to the brown cafe and let us know how things are going.

I'm so sorry he has to endure that. :( I hope he finds relief soon. My husband was surprised to find out that doctors can't fix everything and that narcotics don't always help with pain. Alot of people seem to be under that delusion. I actually do have a degree to work in a medical office, but lack the experience to do so. Typical of most graduates. I don't know too many people who work in their chosen field. Atleast I am out of computer repair. I hated that crap even if I was good at it.

I will definitely keep everyone posted as to how I am doing. After 4 hours of sleep all at once I feel a bit better. Preload will mess with your sleep schedule as well. It will only get worse towards peak season.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm sure my coworkers will recognize me with this information if they read the forums. Oh well.

All the more reason....

Not to provide too much personal information here.

I understand the need to vent, and share the frustrations of your affliction.

This is not the time and place. It could come back to haunt you.

Trust me.

-Bug-

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

A few months ago I was diagnosed with a nerve disorder that affects my face. (Trigeminal Neuralgia) I work preload and am loved by my drivers and most of those who work close to me. My concerns are as follows.

1. Inability to speak on some days due to pain renders me unable to call out eregs.
2. Pain at times can make it difficult for me to focus, though my misload rate is less than everyone else on my metro. 2 for the month compared to as high as 30ish. Average load is around 1400 pieces with a pph of 200-220.
3. Recently need help far more often to finish loading on time.

Been with the company since July 2014. My full time supervisor assures me I am doing fine and to just keep them informed. I've called in once since my diagnosis, and I informed my supervisor well in advance that after a medical procedure I may not make it in the next day. Called him directly as well as the tower the day before I was going to be out.

I am a stubborn person so I don't care if I am puking my guts up between the grates, sobbing from pain or whatever. I will continue to do my job to the best of my ability until a supervisor sends me home. I tend to lose it more from frustration than anything; I detest that this pain has such a hold on me. I'm not talking pulled a muscle, or sore from busting my ass here. I'm talking pain that is off the charts. My own doc rated my pain at diagnosis at a 20 on a 10 scale.

I do know things I can do to help reduce pain. Narcotics won't touch nerve pain, so while I am on medication, it's not an opioid. I keep my fan off unless I am about to pass out as the airflow triggers my pain.

Other than documenting everything possible, would you have any other advice for me? I have to head out the door in 30 minutes for shift start, but will check back after work.
You know you have option days you can take. It doesn't matter what you tell management, or what it is for, you can take them whenever you want to and management can piss up a rope. Also if I were you I would sign up for FMLA and just take off whenever you need to. Also stop working so hard. Working hard at UPS doesn't impress anyone, management sees you as a number. Work at your own pace and stop killing yourself.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i learned the hardway about giving management too much info about your personal life. they will use that info against you at every opportunity.
that has been my experience. and i have heard many drivers lamenting the same thing. ( Upstate ) managers have told me that they have NO personal life. they are on duty 24/7. too bad for them they signed up for that.

when i was on FMLA they were all over me about it. violating the law and looking at the paperwork and harassing me about it. I had to get an attorney to back them off. we ended up taking action over this. and we were not alone about our managers getting into drivers' personal lives. it's more common than people think.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
that has been my experience. and i have heard many drivers lamenting the same thing. ( Upstate ) managers have told me that they have NO personal life. they are on duty 24/7. too bad for them they signed up for that.

when i was on FMLA they were all over me about it. violating the law and looking at the paperwork and harassing me about it. I had to get an attorney to back them off. we ended up taking action over this. and we were not alone about our managers getting into drivers' personal lives. it's more common than people think.
We really don't care that much. I can promise you that.

I have nothing to hide. And I guess my center is the exception. No issues with HR or management going on, every one works as a team on the line, the drivers and loaders work together to resolve issues, etc.... I did find out we have something called intermittent disability. What the details of that are, I have no idea. I was told by HR today that it will cover me if I need to call out sick for pain. I'll call HRSC later today and find out what I can. I've only called in sick once since I started, and that was recently.

As I said, I am stubborn and refuse to let pain stop me from living my life. I have been asked to be a supervisor and I have been asked if I want to drive. I'm just fine right where I am at. I like the shift as I have pretty much the whole day to do whatever I need, I can do driver helper during peak if I need extra money, and I like the benefits of being an hourly employee. The only person I am responsible for is myself. I've held supervisor positions at other jobs and I just don't have the personality for it. I'm too blunt and I don't do office politics. As any sup will tell you, there is ALOT of that they have to deal with on top everyone's drama.

You know you have option days you can take. It doesn't matter what you tell management, or what it is for, you can take them whenever you want to and management can piss up a rope. Also if I were you I would sign up for FMLA and just take off whenever you need to. Also stop working so hard. Working hard at UPS doesn't impress anyone, management sees you as a number. Work at your own pace and stop killing yourself.

I don't work hard to impress anyone, that's just the way I am. I certainly don't do anything I am incapable of, but I do give my all when I am at work. Some days that's less than 100%, but we can't all be perfect all the time. The way I see it, I have a job to do. I'm paid to do it, so why complain about doing it? If it's too much then it's not the job for me. For the most part, I keep my head down and just work. I won't hesitate to ask for help if I need it, cause I know there are days where I help others too.

The whole world see you as a number. The real question is what are you worth to yourself and you are happy with your life. Despite my pain, I am happy with where I am and what I am doing. (yeah I know, I am slightly mental. Isn't everyone in some way though?)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I wish you the best. I saw nothing here they could use against you. There are laws against that. ADA

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles

We really don't care that much. I can promise you that.
Dont worry, her stories are all made up. It's amazing how much she lies on here. This is probably all fake too.