Questions for Mike.

ihadit

Whats my incentive to invest in a company who's stock price has been stagnant since going public, has an employee base with low morale, a management team who has seemingly no idea how to correct problems and corporate "executives" who have no clue whats going on?????????

Sammie

Poor management is the greatest single cause of business failure.

A good leader guides, motivates, and creates a climate that encourages productivity. A good leader also trusts and believes his employees.

This was once the case but we're sliding away from it, Mikey. Need to clean it back up.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Poor management is the greatest single cause of business failure.

A good leader guides, motivates, and creates a climate that encourages productivity. A good leader also trusts and believes his employees.

This was once the case but we're sliding away from it, Mikey. Need to clean it back up.
Amen to the good leader. Maybe trthere should be a poll to see how many of us have good leaders?

hoser

Industrial Slob
Whats my incentive to invest in a company who's stock price has been stagnant since going public, has an employee base with low morale, a management team who has seemingly no idea how to correct problems and corporate "executives" who have no clue whats going on?????????
coz morningstar says it's a good stock, ups has a good business model, and just because employees are dissatisfied with their work doesn't mean ups is a horribly run company, although job satisfaction is definitely an area they can work on.

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
Mike---since the value of UPS Stock will not be at $100 by our 100 year Anniversary would it be possible to pay a special one time dividend of $1.00 as a special thank you for those who continue to hold the stock and are loyal to UPS?

buckleups

Why does mikee get a 210% bonus along with every district manager and above? Why have your destpryed the partnership that use to exist at UPS?

clockrider

brown did nothing 4 me
why does he wear the same outfit to every Centennial Celebration he attends? Did he enjoy the cold hot dog and coffee he was served?

mis_load

Why don't we treat our people right? Why is mirco mgnt taken over? We in operations knows how to run the business, but know we have to listen to everyone else who has never been in operations why?

Channahon

Another question, Mike. Why don't you let the center teams (mgmnt) run the centers? Why the micro-management? They generally know what it takes to get the job done. Let em do it.

Totally agree having been an operator myself.
Unfortunately, Mikey's background is in IE and IE it is nowadays.
Now Jim Kelly was an operator and let operators run their operations.
It is a sad state of affairs, the mirco managing going on nowadays. My guess is mega egos up top.

ncrtscisme

Since stockholders meeing is next month and Mike will be answering questions. What wold you ask Mike if you were there. No restrictions, no fear of retaliation, but serious questions.

Why does management (such as TSG) instruct their employees to lie about their numbers? Take a good look at PMT if you're curious.

browned out

Why did you take off that little package logo on my shirt, hat and truck? That made me feel good, that is what I do, deliver packages. Now that it is gone I am very sad. We still deliver packages, right?:crying:

A

an anonymous guest

There are several critical elements MIke and the Board need to accomplish for success THIS YEAR.

1. Successful negotiations with the Teamsters.
2. Turnaround at SCS.
3. Stop UPS Stores from going Belly Up. (another one bit the dust here in NJ this week)
4. Do something with that $2.4B in cash in the coffers and all that stock 'currency' we bought back.
5. Keep choppin' the dead wood. That includes unprofitable customers.

Saw some small signs of progress in the earnings report, made profit numbers on lower than expected revenue, although you can't shrink to greatness.

Go UPS!
P71

Fredless

APWA Hater
Mr Eskew, why is that a part time supervisor or inside/inside combination 22.3 employee less likely to steal cell phones than myself, a part time employee? Or for that matter, a FULL TIME EMPLOYEE? Why the clean in/clean out in my hub where I have to check my dignity at the gate and its like I'm going on a flight rather than going to work? Can you show me your statistics on the whiteboard? Prove to me with 95% confidence that as a part time employee I'm a scum bag and I can't have my cell phone in the building for emergencies or break time use.

rushfan

WWJCD....What Would Jim Casey do. Is there going to be any 100 year celebration at the center level that doesn't include Doughnuts, Bagles, Chocolate or White Milk, or the cheap punch in the gallon jugs.

Iconoclast

I would ask him if we are ever going to allow some light in from the outside. Promotion from within was great for our early growth, but we have raised generations of UPSers who know absolutely nothing else. Nobody, especially from a mangement standpoint, has ever had a fresh perspective on this leviathan. We need to bring in some senior management who have proven track records to help right the ship. I don't know who said it earlier, but I agree - we also need much greater autonomy at the operator levels. We need to have the freedom to make much greater decisions about how the job should be done everyday.

The other thing I would ask him is why we don't have a third party vendor conduct our ERI. There are really good companies out there that will handle that entire process. They make sure everyone participates and the feedback information they produce is incredible. It would give a true picture of what our employees actually think of their management team, their work environment, their day to day duties etc. Let's put all the cards on the table and stop insulting the employees by talking about how great UPS is - and that the ERI shows a 90% approval rating.

We need to change, face the truth and get to work on uncovering why we are in the position we are in and not continue to ignore what is happening in our marketplace.

tieguy

Banned
I would ask him if we really need to hire so many people from the outside with their "free agent I'm here to save the company" attitudes.

I would ask him if perhaps we shouldn't go back to making the partnership something special again instead of hiring all these outside inbreds who supposedly have a friend"resh perspective" to offer us but never learn to capture the essence of what makes us great.

Ultimately I would ask him what he thinks Jim Casey would think of todays UPS. How would jim sell PAS and micro management to our people.

trickpony1

The other thing I would ask him is why we don't have a third party vendor conduct our ERI.

From reading your posts I can tell you are a very intelligent individual, however I'm not sure what you were thinking here.
The reason "our" company doesn't use a third party vendor to administer the ERI is because our company doesn't want to hear the truth, our company wouldn't be able to manipulate the results.
You notice our company uses third parties for everything else?
Ever heard of "veneering"?
Our company uses third party doctors to give physicals so when a feeder driver gets DQ'ed for some silly reason (usually at the instruction of the company nurse) our company can stand back and say "....we didn't do that....the doctors did that".
"Random" selection for "random" drug screening is the same way, "we didn't do that.....the screening company did that".
Drug tests are the same way, "we didn't do that.........the drug lab did that"
It's my understanding our company now has a third party that audits EVERYBODYS physical medical records so our company can say, "we didn't do that.......the auditors did that.".
The same "third party", "veneering" is alive and well with the "corporate ethics hotline". "We didn't fire you.......the corporate hotline received a complaint and we had to fire you.....it's out of our hands.
By now I'm sure you understand the concept of "veneering", sometimes known as "passing the buck".
How many instances can you think of?
OK.....I'm ready for the barrage of comments about how I am spewing venom and how, if I wait long enough, the "Good Ship Lollipop" will pull into port.
The clock is ticking.....tick...tock....tick...tock.

Sammie

The reason "our" company doesn't use a third party vendor to administer the ERI is because our company doesn't want to hear the truth, our company wouldn't be able to manipulate the results.

What rather tickled me about the ERI's that the individuals in the offices have to take-

We have meetings every year before the survey and are instructed as to how the questions should be answered...

:crying: :sad: :mad: :confused:1 :ohmy:

clockrider

brown did nothing 4 me
One of my friends who works in the office told me that their group gets called in one by one and asked if there are any concerns, to please voice them to the manager face to face instead of putting it on the ERI. Isn't that kind of fudging the numbers?

After the ERI, they have a big meeting and go over the results with them, and then ask (in front of the whole group) "Anyone answered negatively to this question?" Upon which the whole group sits there and no one says a word. Must be very uncomfortable.

I agree with the ERI being administered by a third party, but I doubt it will ever happen because like someone else said, we do not want to know the truth.