Questions Regarding Freight Combo Driver

JustAvisitor

So I'm 26 and driving for a large otr company and I'm very interested in driving for UPS as a freight driver. I have my cdl and a spotless record in every way (which I intend to keep) and I was just seeking some feedback from you all. Let's say I put in 1 year of otr (not my cup of tea) and applied to UPS as a cdl holding dockworker. Would you think I could expect good things from UPS? I'm not afraid to work my butt off and even take that p/t wage cut (which is absolutely insane, I know). In essence, I'm asking you all what you would do, or what you could expect from UPS in my position, seeing as how you know what it's like inside. Any help or career path suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks =)

joseywales

I don't know if you realize this but that cdl/dockworker position is going to be a part time position, and even if you do get on, it could take YEARS to get to full time status if you ever do, i would think very carefully before i jumped in on something, i'm telling you this because i know this for a fact; i been with the company for 3 years, STILL working part time, and i had my cdl's the entire time i been here

Dieselhed

It depends on your location. My barn had 3 full time jobs up for bid and we don't have anyone with a cdl to bid on them. They went unfilled except for a laid off road driver who took one.