Questions Regarding Part Time Courier DOT positions:

BMWSauber1991

I just want to get this out in the beginning, I only want factual answers please, no opinions. No praising or bashing FedEx please.

Position: FedEx Express Part Time Courier DOT Courier
Schedule: M - TH (2:00 pm - 6:00 pm) and Sat (7:30 am - 5:00 pm)

What I know:

17.5 hours rule unless you don't work a scheduled day
6 or less per day
Tuition Assistance (intranet)
Flight Benefits (intranet) (interline)
Semi Decent Health Plans
Semi Decent 401 k matching

Questions:

What is the exact 401 k match, 6%? Or half of 6%?

What is the tuition assistance amount?

How steep are the discounts for interline travel? 50%? 75%?

Pertaining to the schedule posted above, how would the 6 hour rule apply to Sat.?

If I am offered this schedule and sign on with the schedule offered, do they have to honor it or can they change it whenever they want?

Can I just up and leave after 6 hours each day?

I'll probably have more questions later, and I will post them as I can.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I just want to get this out in the beginning, I only want factual answers please, no opinions. No praising or bashing FedEx please.

Position: FedEx Express Part Time Courier DOT Courier
Schedule: M - TH (2:00 pm - 6:00 pm) and Sat (7:30 am - 5:00 pm)

What I know:

17.5 hours rule unless you don't work a scheduled day
6 or less per day
Tuition Assistance (intranet)
Flight Benefits (intranet) (interline)
Semi Decent Health Plans
Semi Decent 401 k matching

Questions:

What is the exact 401 k match, 6%? Or half of 6%?

What is the tuition assistance amount?

How steep are the discounts for interline travel? 50%? 75%?

Pertaining to the schedule posted above, how would the 6 hour rule apply to Sat.?

If I am offered this schedule and sign on with the schedule offered, do they have to honor it or can they change it whenever they want?

Can I just up and leave after 6 hours each day?

I'll probably have more question later, and I will post them as I can.

Ask your manager.

outtatime

There is no "6 hour rule". Part time is considered 30 hours or less a month, or 6 hours a day for 5 days. Anything after 6 hours and you need a 30 min break, over 8 and you need an hour break. The 1 hour break also varies by station. Each station is allotted a certain amount of non-break compliance. Most of that leeway goes to the FT pick-up drivers though as they have to have a positive pull every night from the stations to make the ramp sort.

BMWSauber1991

There is no "6 hour rule". Part time is considered 30 hours or less a month, or 6 hours a day for 5 days. Anything after 6 hours and you need a 30 min break, over 8 and you need an hour break. The 1 hour break also varies by station. Each station is allotted a certain amount of non-break compliance. Most of that leeway goes to the FT pick-up drivers though as they have to have a positive pull every night from the stations to make the ramp sort.

Thanks for the reply!

overflowed

thought you are ups, what are you looking at express for? It really depends on the area. busy growing city areas metro and such. You can basically work more than full timers. The trade off I see are these guys basically will do any bullcrap management wants you to do. They treat these guys like swing drivers. In smaller stations I have no idea if its the same. They are depended on to be fill ins. Once you say no, and they come to expect these guys to always say yes. I've seen the hours dwindle. Also, they cannot make you work past your scheduled time. Doesn't mean they won't try.

MondayLates

Tuition reimbursement is around $3000 per year (not semester).

Flight benefits are not even worth mentioning (I have had success once and been bumped every other time I tried to fly standby). You can get other discounts with rental cars and hotels, but they are not significant discounts.

I wasn't aware 401k was 6%. I know you have to contribute 6% to get the full company match. My understanding is the "net" match is only 3%.

6 hours is just a target. They don't want you to expect more than that. It may be more. May be less.

Schedule may change to your benefit, but it may not. You could be held to that schedule until you bid on a new position.

BMWSauber1991

thought you are ups, what are you looking at express for? It really depends on the area. busy growing city areas metro and such. You can basically work more than full timers. The trade off I see are these guys basically will do any bullcrap management wants you to do. They treat these guys like swing drivers. In smaller stations I have no idea if its the same. They are depended on to be fill ins. Once you say no, and they come to expect these guys to always say yes. I've seen the hours dwindle. Also, they cannot make you work past your scheduled time. Doesn't mean they won't try.

Hey overflowed,

Yeah I was at UPS, made the dumb mistake of going pt sup. In all honesty, I was never cut out for management, I can't bring myself to tell hard working people to work even harder because UPS needs to save a few bucks. I get that's its a business, but management knowingly understaffs everyday hoping for some miracle to happen. I'm looking at express because it pays more than what I make, and its still pt. Ive been in college since starting at UPS and I'm just going to finish while at FedEx then leave the warehousing career field all together. Just need a good paying job while in school that can help me pay tuition so I'm not drowning in debt when I'm done. Thanks for your insight and I hope all is well.

mcutrono

Ask your manager.
I always loved that remark. Whenever you ask another manager in the station a question, they say "ask your manager". But theyre always quick to tell you what to do. Next time im going to say, "Sorry, but you're not my manager "

vantexan

It's free money regardless of the amount of the match.
Just giving the OP what he asked for. But for argument's sake, when they terminated our traditional pension they bumped up the match plus gave us the portable pension plan. We still come out way short of the traditional plan, lucky us that it's "free."