Questions

WillyPenn

I was wondering if UPS had any policy against a package handler wearing head phones while they worked?

also, I had heard that it would be hard to transfer to a different facility , and know anything about this?

drewed

Shankman
I was wondering if UPS had any policy against a package handler wearing head phones while they worked?

also, I had heard that it would be hard to transfer to a different facility , and know anything about this?

The official policy is youre not supposed to wear headphones because it prevents you from being aware of youre surroundings.....some sups in isolated areas do allow them on a sort aisle...

There are only 2 reasons you can get transfered and those are with the stipulation there is an opening where you are going. 1st is education, you have to be with UPS for 1 yr and have to be enrolled in university where you are going. the 2nd is medical, you have to get a drs note saying that the area you are in is detrimental to a existing health conditon and the climate where ever would improve your quality of life. Both of these have to be approved at a corp level so its still a big ??

Mike Hawk

Wearing headphones while working is like driving while talking on your cell phone.
I would have to disagree, I am perfectly capable of doing my job with headphones on, and I have done so since I started. I agree about the driving part though.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I would have to disagree, I am perfectly capable of doing my job with headphones on, and I have done so since I started. I agree about the driving part though.

so you are capable.....right up until somebdy is yelling at you to tell you of some danger, but sorry, you're to busy rocking out to AC/DC to know of your eminent danger. Yeah, good call :rolleyes:

Mike Hawk

so you are capable.....right up until somebdy is yelling at you to tell you of some danger, but sorry, you're to busy rocking out to AC/DC to know of your eminent danger. Yeah, good call :rolleyes:
Headphone is on one ear, and not loud enough to interfere with conversation.

That's not really any different than the boom boxes blaring at an 8 level(on a 10 scale).

dillweed

Don't know about a specific policy but it could certainly be outlawed due to safety reasons.

I did see an employee wearing one on the sort aisle. A pkg knocked it off his ear and he dived onto a lower belt to retrieve it. Could have been sucked into the bowels of the operation and come out looking like some of our pkgs!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't know about a specific policy but it could certainly be outlawed due to safety reasons.

I did see an employee wearing one on the sort aisle. A pkg knocked it off his ear and he dived onto a lower belt to retrieve it. Could have been sucked into the bowels of the operation and come out looking like some of our pkgs!

Meaning he would have also had a big footprint clearly showing on his chest.

filthpig

They really cracked down on headphones and bluetooth thingies this year. Drivers can't wear them at all and I'm sure the hub will be next.

drewed

Shankman
Our wet blanket of a center manager won't even allow radios. Boring :dissapointed:

Sometimes its an OSHA thing....I can bring a radio in, it just cant require a plug in, its a great recognition thing in my mind; if we hit our numbers on Sat Ill bring in a radio....the next hardest thing is to figure out what to play......then we play the supervisor wins game ;) lol

bellesotico

BOXstar

This must vary from center to center, because where I am we are not allowed to wear headphones, but we are allowed to have battery operated radios on the belt (OSHA). No one fights over what to listen to. If you don't buy the batteries..you don't control the tuner. If you don't like the station...bring your own radio.
Interestingly enough, there is a hub less than an hour away that only allows headphones (in one ear) and no radios on the belt.