quick question about boots...

Nietzsche

I wanna get some red wing boots from DSW before I start work as a preloader... didn't know if UPS had any restrictions on what type of boots can be worn...

thanks!

drewed

Shankman
Do you have a 150 bucks to blow on boots? i say get some 60 timberland work boots mines have lasted me about 18months theyre comfortable light and have a steel toe, a steel toe isnt required but things do fall and roll off belts so it maybe a good idea...

as far as other restrictions leather uppers, slip resistant soles..

Nietzsche

I didn't ask wether or not spending that kind of money on boots was a good idea. I asked if there were any restrictions set by ups.

These don't say if they have non slip soles but they seem like hey would work just fine...

Big Babooba

Do you have a 150 bucks to blow on boots? i say get some 60 timberland work boots mines have lasted me about 18months theyre comfortable light and have a steel toe, a steel toe isnt required but things do fall and roll off belts so it maybe a good idea...

as far as other restrictions leather uppers, slip resistant soles..
I'd go for the steel toes. They work great when you need to kick somebody in the butt. I used to wear them in the sort aisle and I believe they saved me from doing the "I Broke My Toe Dance" and the recitation of previously unheard of swear words on more than one occasion.:taz:

As a driver I would go with the black ones, they are shineable and look to be a bit more sturdy. If the shine isn't a factor, the brown pair would afford better ankle support.
one thing neither of these mention in the description is if the soles are "oil resistant", important because UPS won't give the mechanics enough time to fix all the oil leaks.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
UPS wants you to wear something that is slip resistant and sturdy. This is both for inside and outside work. Outside work requires brown or black shineable surface. If you like this shoe and it meets these requirements and price is not a problem, buy em. As is always the case, if the shoe fits, wear it, because your feet are your livelyhood.

And looking at these post times, I'd say we have a bunch of insomniacs at the BC.:yawn2:

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
If you are going to be a pre-loader, I don't think that there are any restrictions on color or whether or not they can be polished. Check with your center. I would make sure they go over your ankle just for the support. Walking in and out of the backs of these trucks when most if them are just lower than the dock can pose a threat of twisting your ankle. As Stevetheupsguy said comfort must be a priority. Good luck to you!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Nietzsche if you were just hired for Peak help, I wouldn't spend 150 on boots,buy a cheap pair because you will be laid off on 12/23

I have two pair off RedWings that I have had for over fifteen years. While I only wear them in snow and heavy rain they have held up with only having new soles bonded on. They were not cheap but it`s been made up by not having to replace them every couple of years. Plus you can write them of on your taxes as a business expense.

If your working inside on grating I would go for a less aggressive sole to prevent twisted knees when the sole digs in to the metal.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm hoping to stay on after the holidays but we'll see about that...[/quote]

..I share your optimism with you but you should definitely keep your options open.

drewed

Shankman
The black ones dont look that bad, the ankle does look like it ends in a weird place/angle.....

Every person Ive seen wear a 6" boot or higher ends up tripping over their feet.

rod

Retired 22 years
Are boots even required for working preload? I don't recall any of our preloaders wearing them. Get yourself a GOOD pair of lightweight tennis shoes.

Are boots even required for working preload? I don't recall any of our preloaders wearing them. Get yourself a GOOD pair of lightweight tennis shoes.
Not around here, they do require sturdy, slip resistant footwear. Doesn't have to be boots though. However I'm not too sure they check the seasonal people that closely.

The black ones dont look that bad, the ankle does look like it ends in a weird place/angle.....

Every person Ive seen wear a 6" boot or higher ends up tripping over their feet.
That doesn't even make sense. I've worn 6' or taller boots all my life, don't have any trouble at all.