quick question about those sequence tags

HomeDelivery

you the sorters place smaller white tags on the packages with the same info (address & tracking#)

what does the other stuff mean?
------------------------------------
P: purple S: right I: 22

324-####

(then a whole bunch of small print )
------------------------------------

because I had 2 packages coming from the same driver

& i'm guessing that 324 is the route number

and the 4 digit numbers after it is the sequence #? (so it's just like Home Delivery's operation)

it was 324-1062 (express envelope) & then he came back with 324-5510 (baby formula box)

-----------------------------------

I'm guessing that the driver was kinda pissed that he didn't catch the same address from the AM to the PM shift

or

he was bricked out & couldn't get to the later parcel until his package car was slightly empty

(I know how it sucks to come back to the same address 2x in the same day for a residential stop)

He probably didn't mind it because his area was "tight" (city-suburban mix) I see them taking their lunch break at the local McDs

plus, you guys don't have separate sub-branches to handle air/ground like Fed-EXpress & Fed-Ground/Home Delivery (so it does sorta make sense for a ups driver to get rid of his Air stuff first...)

PS: that new DIAD slim design looks closely familiar to my scanner I've been using in the past 6 years (we're also going to get newer black ones from the outdated gray colored scanners)

HomeDelivery

including a pic: (sorry this is the only thing i can find at short notice)

ups.jpg

ok, it's the smaller sticker on the right side of that boxk,

with the same information that the bigger sticker has, without a bar-code
ups.jpg

UPSGUY72

The first three number are the number given to the car for loading purposes. The last 4 number are the location the package show be place in the car.

The first package you got was a next day air package it needed to be delivered by 10:30 am the other package had no commit time so it was set up in the order the route is delivered.

We get paid by the hour any after 8 hrs is OT the driver had other stops on your street or area besides your so going back wasn't a big deal.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Pretty much right on. I see the load labels on Fedex pkgs. Look the same. I wonder if their system creates as many misloads and wasted miles as ours.

Cementups

Box Monkey
the bunch of small print at the bottom is the same tracking number as your package was assigned with the last 4 numbers being in bold.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It's pretty simple. In my center, we have 1 belt that loads 14 cars, 7 on each side. My car location (the first of the bold numbers) is 207. Our car locations are 200 odd (IE: 201, 203) on one side and 100 even on the other side. The second set of numbers (always 4) designates the shelf or floor. If its floor it'll say floor 1/2/3 or 4. The number sequences are 1000, 2000 and so on through 8000. I think that PAL tag is a 5000 number so it would be in the back half of the truck on the passenger side, top shelf. With 2 shelves on each side of the truck and each shelf split in half, that gives us 8 areas to load in. 1000-top shelf, R side(passenger), 2000- second shelf, R side. 3000-top shelf, L side (driver), 4000- second shelf, L side. The exact same thing for 5,6,7 and 8000 but in the back half of the truck.

The hubs are a little more complicated because of the numerous belts to each set of cars. The belts are usually color coded.

If I had to guess (from the looks of that box), I would say the truck was brick loaded and the driver couldn't get to the second pkg to deliver with the first. Or.............. it was buried and the driver couldn't find it.

iruhnman630

There are also 3 rear door (rd_) locations: left, right, and center (rdl, rdr, rdc).

Theoretically, anybody can load any car on any day simply by loading the package in the designated dock location and load location. They dumbed-down the job.

HomeDelivery

upsguy & others, thanks for the quick replies; yea i made that guess because you don't have 3 different UPS vehicles going to the same area like Fedex does... plus you guys get tighter areas, just like ground. ( i cover up to 5-6 different zip codes, depending on the route)

Pretty much right on. I see the load labels on Fedex pkgs. Look the same. I wonder if their system creates as many misloads and wasted miles as ours.
Ground maybe, because they have a team of loaders just like UPS...

but Home Delivery is more accurate because we have to sort/load our own vehicles! When we come to a possible misload, we alert the one of the warehouse managers & they'll re-direct it to the correct route on the spot (unless that driver left the building already)

I miss stepvans (still running with cargo vans or box trucks since i'm only FT during peak and summer months)
-------------------------------------
does your scanner alert you if there's another package at the same address & have the option of delivering that ground box along with the air?

that's one of the reasons why i opted for HD over Ground; because you'll circle around the same areas 2,3,4 times in a day to have different delivery and pickup timelines within the same zipcode in a given day.

I preferred going to an area, then moving on... "straight lining" (as discussed in the FedEx section), just so I'll reduce my mileage and time since I'm not getting paid by the hour.

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f50/fed-ex-working-hours-337616/index3.html

Kis124

Our Pals have our user names. (SPA people) Color of belt, what side of the belt when it reaches car belt car route and shelve/position. ie brown Right GLD 5500 tells the sorter to put it on the brown belt. tells the splitter to put it on the right side and tells the loder what car and where to put it.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We used to have the first three numbers of our last names as our PAL numbers but we had a jerk in charge of preload that thought numbers were more appropriate. Our misloads skyrocketed the next few weeks cause it was so much easier to mistake 121, 122 and 123 compared to our previous, MAH, HEC and JUL. But of course he never made that connection. Funny thing is that at the time we were the only loop changed as he let other ones that were coded by football teams (???) alone. EGL, STL and BAL got to stay but names had to go.

iruhnman630

you don't have 3 different UPS vehicles going to the same area like Fedex does...plus you guys get tighter areas, just like ground. ( i cover up to 5-6 different zip codes, depending on the route)
:lol: HD made a funny! When an area is broken up into splits it's not uncommon to have more than one driver delivering the same neighborhood, or even have one driver delivering a stop the same time another is doing the pickup.

And tighter area? I did 4 cities in 3 counties yesterday, 130+ miles.

does your scanner alert you if there's another package at the same address & have the option of delivering that ground box along with the air?
The number of packages are indicated (ex: 1 nda and 12 grnd would say '1 + 12'), although some routes do have their air stops dispatched as a separate stop.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
:lol: HD made a funny! When an area is broken up into splits it's not uncommon to have more than one driver delivering the same neighborhood, or even have one driver delivering a stop the same time another is doing the pickup.

The number of packages are indicated (ex: 1 nda and 12 grnd would say '1 + 12'), although some routes do have their air stops dispatched as a separate stop.
2 towns, 1 county, 150 miles. HA!!! Beat ya!

reaper301

this might help a little bit, may not either, take it as you will. I created this for the loaders in my hub as a reference/training tool and to show our new manager how we are used to doing thngs(he dont like our ideas) but to each loader/hub their own I guess, but this is a good example for a 1 belt/conveyour hub. As you can see the PAL(preload assist label) and what everything means is outlined. hope this help in some way
UPS117 copy.jpg. -Reaper
UPS117 copy.jpg

oldngray

nowhere special
That is a good sample label but it would help to train the preloaders what everything means. I never had a newer preloader who was told x meant load high to low ( not a big issue since I never saw stop for stop loads anyway, and EDD would also frequently sequence numbers on same street with numbers all mixed up ).

Big Babooba

2 towns, 1 county, 150 miles. HA!!! Beat ya!
6 towns, 2 counties, 135 -145 miles a day. If you get stuck behind a manure spreader where it's too dangerous to pass, it seems like you've driven 100 more miles!

J

jibbs

I never had a newer preloader who was told x meant load high to low.

I don't even know what loading high to low means, let alone what my signal on the PAL label is to ensure I load that way.... Well, now I know what the X means. Anyone care to shed some light on high to low loading?

oldngray

nowhere special
Higher address numbers before lower address numbers. Meaningless holdover from the days when people actually read addresses. Preload is supposed to confirm the package address matches the PAL but nobody ever does.

J

jibbs

Higher address numbers before lower address numbers. Meaningless holdover from the days when people actually read addresses. Preload is supposed to confirm the package address matches the PAL but nobody ever does.

Ahhhhh, yeah, we rarely check both labels. Maybe if the PAL would end up next to the shipping label instead of on the underside of the package, which I really don't understand how it even happens. I mean, in order to scan you have to be able to view the shipping label, but somehow the PALs end up on what had to have been the bottom of the package when it was first placed on a conveyor belt. Sometimes I feel like they do it on purpose. :angry: