quick question

adhawk

I'm a swing driver at express this past Saturday I was scheduled to punch in at 8:45 I showed up to work at 8 to get a sprinter and map out my stops while I was eating my breakfast the sat manager came to me and told me I had to go out on FO which is when I proceeded to tell him I wasn't scheduled until 845 with his response saying he didn't care I told him I did not want to punch in he told me I don't have a choice operational needs so I went out on fo. My question is as a swing can he force me to punch in whenever he wants or should I contact hr?

dezguy

You're full time. They can force you to work 1 hour of OT per day. As Hypo said, operational needs.

Next time, don't show up early for work. If you're scheduled for 8:45, show up for 8:40.

adhawk

I have tried to leave my station but currently still have one year left on my contract I put in for a another station and got the job but my manager blocked me and brought me into his office cussed me out and told me I have my head up my ass and threatened to fire me is there any way to get out of a contract early my station is among the worst In the region and I can't take it anymore

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I have tried to leave my station but currently still have one year left on my contract I put in for a another station and got the job but my manager blocked me and brought me into his office cussed me out and told me I have my head up my ass and threatened to fire me is there any way to get out of a contract early my station is among the worst In the region and I can't take it anymore

You really need to call HR about the Saturday thing and ask about rules for jobs posted with waivers. They can't fire you for putting in for another position. If you keep taking crap you will get crap. When management realizes you won't take any, they will back off. In my 20 plus years at Express I have NEVER had a mgr curse at me, and I've had some a-hole managers. Take a stand. It's not so easy for them to fire you.

adhawk

Do you think hr can help me get out I don't feel comfortable with the whole fact that he is threatening my job I have been trying to fight back I was forced in on mothers day and my manager shows me a paper that says he can force me in but on that paper it says I can't be put on more than 2 splits a week and am required 1 days training on each route I have fought back with the splits but when I fight back with the training argument they don't seem to care even tho it days "required" every time I bring it up he seems to get more and more mad but that's there rules and they follow them when it's convenient for them

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Do you think hr can help me get out I don't feel comfortable with the whole fact that he is threatening my job I have been trying to fight back I was forced in on mothers day and my manager shows me a paper that says he can force me in but on that paper it says I can't be put on more than 2 splits a week and am required 1 days training on each route I have fought back with the splits but when I fight back with the training argument they don't seem to care even tho it days "required" every time I bring it up he seems to get more and more mad but that's there rules and they follow them when it's convenient for them

As Cactus said, mention the hostile work environment to HR. Those are words they don't like to hear. You can forget the one day's training. That almost never happens. You are correct, they do follow the rules when convenient. Stick to to your guns on the split thing. Yes, it's going to piss them off but you do what you have to do.

dezguy

I would call HR. If I'm at work early for my own reasons, no way will I let them force me to start early. They can ASK me.

It's in the policy book. If you're full time they can force you to work an hour before or after your shift. You could call HR but in the end, nothing would be done about it.

As I said, best way to avoid being forced into OT, don't show up to work an hour early.

adhawk

Also I tried to take a personal day for yesterday and my manager told me it was not available and that if I call out he will give me a letter I thought personal days could not be denied also I appreciate the feedback just need to know what I can and shouldn't bring up to hr when I call I was told by coworkers to go straight thru my hrs boss or should I use the chain of command like I said I appreciate all the feedback and any advice is much appreciated

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It's in the policy book. If you're full time they can force you to work an hour before or after your shift. You could call HR but in the end, nothing would be done about it.

As I said, best way to avoid being forced into OT, don't show up to work an hour early.

You're in Canada. Policy might be different.

MAKAVELI

I think your policy in Canada is different than here in the US. Policy here is they can "ASK" but cannot "FORCE" you to start before or after your posted scheduled time. My advice to the OP would to talk to hr about transferring but understand that it most likely won't help that situation. If it really is that bad I would consider looking for another job. Unless you are topped out and have a pension under the old plan, it really isn't worth sticking it out. In the meantime I would document everything that manager does including any harassment or threats. Try to get any witnesses to back you up, and then lawyer up if he tries to fire you.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You guys who advise people to "lawyer up" crack me up. What good do you think a lawyer could do in a situation such as this, other than to make it worse for everyone involved?
I'll call a lawyer if I feel like it. My decision, my money, my job.

FedEx doesn't have a union to protect us or have you just conveniently forgot this?

vantexan

I'll call a lawyer if I feel like it. My decision, my money, my job.

FedEx doesn't have a union to protect us or have you just conveniently forgot this?
Problem is that in most situations lawyers will tell you there's nothing they can do. I had mgr tell me on phone my schedule would be 0730 to approx 1700 M-friend, helping on reload once in awhile. I spent $1300 on the move, most expensive transfer I ever made. First day there am told will start at 1000 and work reload every day. Did same thing to another guy who came in on same day I did(boy was he pissed). I went to lawyer about it, was told they could say about anything, nothing I could do. GFTed it after mgr was going to force me to set up reload area before going on road every day. I flat out called him a liar in GFT meeting. I had to keep shift until FT route with normal hours came open, but director took the reload set up off of me. That mgr ultimately got fired, about 6 months after I left that station, but I had to put up with 4 years of dealing with him. He and senior mgr tried to tell me there was a hiring freeze on for lateral moves, I couldn't transfer. Had a signed offer letter in hand, filed a GFT, hiring freeze amazingly went away immediately and sr.mgr practically begged me to rescind GFT. That sr.mgr got fired too. Managers try all kinds of things that could get them fired, but rarely it's extreme enough to get lawyers involved. That's why in my experience the company will sweep things under the rug if there's no chance of litigation.

dezguy

Also I tried to take a personal day for yesterday and my manager told me it was not available and that if I call out he will give me a letter I thought personal days could not be denied also I appreciate the feedback just need to know what I can and shouldn't bring up to hr when I call I was told by coworkers to go straight thru my hrs boss or should I use the chain of command like I said I appreciate all the feedback and any advice is much appreciated

It's summer so there is a good chance the maximum amount of people are off for the week. Pretty much impossible to use a floater or PB during the summer at my station.

adhawk

It's summer so there is a good chance the maximum amount of people are off for the week. Pretty much impossible to use a floater or PB during the summer at my station.

I Was Told personal days were trump cards and never to bid them didn't know they could deny them instead of giving them notice to fill my route I'll just call out and let them scramble to figure it out