Quitting after almost 6 years

PT fellow

Hello Brown Cafe,

I have been lurking and have found this site really helpful over the couple months. But I wanted to ask for advice for my particular situation.

I have been offered a research assistance position at my school for my field of study and am planning to quit UPS. I have been working at UPS and will hit my 6 Year anniversary on Feb 12, 2014. I wanted to know what is going to happen to all my vacation pay and how I would go about quitting. I have 2 weeks vacation time, 1 week sick time, and 1 week personal time accumulated (it says I have it on my weekly pay stub). I asked for advice from my shop steward and he did not know what to do. He told me to talk to the full time supervisor. My full time supervisor told me that I would get a separate check for time that I had 'earned'. Will all my 4 weeks be paid then after I quit? He also did not have much information other than that and told me to talk to HR about procedure for quitting and maybe any other option I may have.

Also, according to word at my hub (not sure how it is everywhere), but we are supposed to be getting back pay because of a new contract. How would I go about getting that?

I like working for UPS and 6 years is a long time to give up but I feel like this is a better plan in the long run since it is research in my line of work (Computer Science major) and would be better for seeking internships and probably even grad school applications (plus it is research with the Dean of the computer science department).

Do you guys have any information about me quitting as far as how to quit and vacation pay, or any other advice?

sincerely,
PT fellow

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your retro check will be sent to the address UPS has on file.

The right thing to do would be to give two weeks notice. If it were me I would schedule my two weeks of vacation and on the Friday before you start vacation I would give them my notice. As your sup said, you will receive a separate check for any personal time that you have accrued. You should also notify the union and ask for a withdrawal card.

Do the right thing----you don't want to burn any bridges.

My son is going for his MBA as we speak so I totally support what you are planning on doing and wish you the best of luck in your future.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Hello Brown Cafe,

I have been lurking and have found this site really helpful over the couple months. But I wanted to ask for advice for my particular situation.

I have been offered a research assistance position at my school for my field of study and am planning to quit UPS. I have been working at UPS and will hit my 6 Year anniversary on Feb 12, 2014. I wanted to know what is going to happen to all my vacation pay and how I would go about quitting. I have 2 weeks vacation time, 1 week sick time, and 1 week personal time accumulated (it says I have it on my weekly pay stub). I asked for advice from my shop steward and he did not know what to do. He told me to talk to the full time supervisor. My full time supervisor told me that I would get a separate check for time that I had 'earned'. Will all my 4 weeks be paid then after I quit? He also did not have much information other than that and told me to talk to HR about procedure for quitting and maybe any other option I may have.

Also, according to word at my hub (not sure how it is everywhere), but we are supposed to be getting back pay because of a new contract. How would I go about getting that?

I like working for UPS and 6 years is a long time to give up but I feel like this is a better plan in the long run since it is research in my line of work (Computer Science major) and would be better for seeking internships and probably even grad school applications (plus it is research with the Dean of the computer science department).

Do you guys have any information about me quitting as far as how to quit and vacation pay, or any other advice?

sincerely,
PT fellow

You're also owed a piece of your pension, as you became vested in the UPS PT Pension plan when you hit 5 years. It might not add up to much (maybe $120/month when you hit retirement age) but you earned it. I would make sure you get a print-out of your accrued pension benefits and stash it somewhere safe.

It sometimes takes a while to get your pay for left over personal/sick/vacation days as the check isn't cut until you're "deleted" from the system and cleared. You might have to stay on HR about it.

Also, as an aside, I would recommend considering staying on at UPS if you can make it work with your chosen career. University gigs sans tenure are incredibly shaky these days and your prospects might be year-to-year. If not, at least you're going to graduate school in what is essentially a technical trade rather than liberal arts.

Inthegame

Your retro check will be sent to the address UPS has on file.

The right thing to do would be to give two weeks notice. If it were me I would schedule my two weeks of vacation and on the Friday before you start vacation I would give them my notice. As your sup said, you will receive a separate check for any personal time that you have accrued. You should also notify the union and ask for a withdrawal card.

Do the right thing----you don't want to burn any bridges.

My son is going for his MBA as we speak so I totally support what you are planning on doing and wish you the best of luck in your future.
How can he/she schedule vacation now? Are you suggesting this party stay at UPS until the next vacation selection process takes place in November/December 2014?
Just give them two weeks notice, you'll get paid your earned vacation as well as back pay. Unfortunately, in some cases UPS will not "need" you after you give them notice.

wage EARNER

Also, once you give your 2 weeks, make sure you cancel your direct deposit if you have it. I believe the direct deposit we sign to allow UPS to put money into our bank account, also allows them to take money out of our account if they make an overpayment error. Once you're out of the system, it will be harder to get an error like that corrected.

PT fellow

So I talked to HR and he was beating around the bush with answering questions. He did tell me that I would get a vacation pay check. But he kind if also said that I would not get any sick days and not sure about personal days. Does anyone know about this? Should I take my sick/personal days before leaving?

saintrick

In the southern region you must be on the active payroll to receive option/sick days.

You can ask if they will pay out your option days now. In my building they have done this before for people who needed the money for some reason.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How can he/she schedule vacation now? Are you suggesting this party stay at UPS until the next vacation selection process takes place in November/December 2014?
Just give them two weeks notice, you'll get paid your earned vacation as well as back pay. Unfortunately, in some cases UPS will not "need" you after you give them notice.

Our vacation selection for 2014 started in January.

bumped

Call your union hall. There should be a secretary that will help you with your questions. 5 years of part time should have vested your pension. In cases I was familiar with, UPS will try to buyout that pension. You need to decide to take their lump sum payment or get a pension at retirement age. Its an important decision, so make it wisely.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Call your union hall. There should be a secretary that will help you with your questions. 5 years of part time should have vested your pension. In cases I was familiar with, UPS will try to buyout that pension. You need to decide to take their lump sum payment or get a pension at retirement age. Its an important decision, so make it wisely.

With a projected pension at age 65 of about $100/month for his 6 years of service he should jump at the first buyout offer.

UPSGUY72

You're also owed a piece of your pension, as you became vested in the UPS PT Pension plan when you hit 5 years. It might not add up to much (maybe $120/month when you hit retirement age) but you earned it. I would make sure you get a print-out of your accrued pension benefits and stash it somewhere safe.

It sometimes takes a while to get your pay for left over personal/sick/vacation days as the check isn't cut until you're "deleted" from the system and cleared. You might have to stay on HR about it.

Also, as an aside, I would recommend considering staying on at UPS if you can make it work with your chosen career. University gigs sans tenure are incredibly shaky these days and your prospects might be year-to-year. If not, at least you're going to graduate school in what is essentially a technical trade rather than liberal arts.

It is possible for the OP not be vested yet even with 6 years with UPS depending on the amount of hours he has worked and the number pension credits needed to be vested where the OP is located...

bumped

With a projected pension at age 65 of about $100/month for his 6 years of service he should jump at the first buyout offer.

I don't know what the pension is(OP should get a yearly letter with the info), or what the payout would be. I'm just saying, don't think, Hey a couple thousand bucks for beer money.

wayfair

swollen member
don't you have to have a number of reports to get all of your vacation? and as far as accumulated personal time?? Here, they pay us in December for any unused option days..

upschuck

Doesn't sound bad now for 6 years PT, but in future dollars wouldn't all that much. Weigh both sides, make a decision, and don't second guess whatever decision OP makes. Good luck. If I could make it work, I would keep working UPS.

Pkgcar1988

I've been there 25 yrs. and would never encourage anyone to stay there instead of finishing their college degree and getting a job in the field in which they studied. Jmo. Best of luck to the OP!!!

upschuck

Doesn't sound bad now for 6 years PT, but in future dollars wouldn't all that much. Weigh both sides, make a decision, and don't second guess whatever decision OP makes. Good luck. If I could make it work, I would keep working UPS.
I've been there 25 yrs. and would never encourage anyone to stay there instead of finishing their college degree and getting a job in the field in which they studied. Jmo. Best of luck to the OP!!!
I meant in addition to the assistant position with the dean, not instead of.