Quitting Cigarettes

moreluck

golden ticket member
Sounds crazy, but I got hypnotized. Done by a psychiatrist on my route in three separate sessions, haven't smoked since. Insurance even payed for it since it was billed through a psychiatrist. As for those knocking smokers about quitting, how much it costs, etc....You have no idea how hard it is to quit unless you've been a smoker. Nicotine is the most addictive thing out there.
They say it's more addictive than the hard stuff like heroine and meth. Hypnotism didn't work for me.....I guess I didn't like being told what to do!

im pretty sure that a 3 am cig is so much more unhealthy than a 3 pm cig even though smoking at any time of the day is bad for you. thats all im saying.... jibbs

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Both of my parents very seldom didn't have a cig in their hands as I grew up. My mother died of lung cancer at a relatively young age. I was 18 at the time and I drove her to her chemo treatments. My father died of emphysema related to smoking. It made a believer of me. Never touched a cigarette when I was growing up. We owned a bar the whole time I was a kid. I probably got enough second hand smoke from that place. I pleaded with my son, begged him when he was in high school not to smoke. He looked me in the eye and told me he would never smoke. He lied to me. He was smoking at the time, and when he went to the navy, he smoked even more. He is 29 now and his little girl asked him to quit smoking. He told me the day before yesterday that he was trying to quit, and it had been about a day and a half since he smoked and it was getting bad for him. I asked him last night if he had snuck one, and he admitted he dug around in his pickup and found 2 in an old pack and yeah he smoked 1 of them. Never having been a smoker, I can't relate. But it must be damn difficult. Hang in there, OP. You can do it. Do it for the people who love you and want to keep you around. Please.

J

jibbs

im pretty sure that a 3 am cig is so much more unhealthy than a 3 pm cig even though smoking at any time of the day is bad for you. thats all im saying.... jibbs

But why, though?

I'm pretty sure I'll be rich and infamous one day but there's nothing solid behind that. Just a hunch, ya know?

If a person's up everyday and active at 3am, having a cigarette is no different from the guy that doesn't crawl out of bed until noon and lights one around 1pm.

The problem is cigarettes-- not when they're used.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
A cigarette isn't more unhealthy based on what time you smoke it. Does a can of Coke become healthier or contain less calories at 3pm vs 3am?

rod

Retired 22 years
I was a 2-3 pack a day smoker for many years. Back then you could smoke on planes and most every place else. We even smoked in the movie theater (weren't suppose to but we did and I don't remember anyone being asked to leave because they did). My wife was even allowed to smoke in the maternity ward (along with 3 other gals). When I quit I knew it was time (coughing and everything else that goes along with being a heavy smoker). I got a prescription for that nicotine gum and chewed that. Once I stopped I stopped for good. Yes it was hard. When I quit my wife still smoked (for 4 more years) and so did most of my friends so it was tough. Now days I find myself moving to a different place if I even sit down next to a smoker. My wife and I still make the comment --Do you realize we used to smell like that.

oldngray

nowhere special
I was a 2-3 pack a day smoker for many years. Back then you could smoke on planes and most every place else. We even smoked in the movie theater (weren't suppose to but we did and I don't remember anyone being asked to leave because they did). My wife was even allowed to smoke in the maternity ward (along with 3 other gals). When I quit I knew it was time (coughing and everything else that goes along with being a heavy smoker). I got a prescription for that nicotine gum and chewed that. Once I stopped I stopped for good. Yes it was hard. When I quit my wife still smoked (for 4 more years) and so did most of my friends so it was tough. Now days I find myself moving to a different place if I even sit down next to a smoker. My wife and I still make the comment --Do you realize we used to smell like that.

Watch an old movie where a doctor is smoking as he examines a patient.

trickpony1

That assumes everyone works and sleeps the same time of day. An invalid premiss invalidates the conclusions.

Extrapolate..........
My premise remains valid.

After sleeping X number of hours, your body is depleted and is more absorbent regardless of when, through the day, you sleep.

oldngray

nowhere special
Extrapolate..........

After sleeping X number of hours, your body is depleted and is more absorbent regardless of when, through the day, you sleep.

That is a different situation. Smoking when your body is depleted is not the same as smoking in the AM.

J

jibbs

Extrapolate..........

He's talking about Number 24's premise that everybody's body is performing the same function at 3am. Some people might've been up for 18 hours at 3am, whilst others are still asleep. The time of day doesn't matter, only the schedule a person adheres to and how it relates to their tobacco-consumption.

I agree with you, though, for what it's worth. I mean, I had to put my own figures in for X but yeah, wake-up cigarettes are likely bad news.