Quitting UPS for school

• Thread starter Anonymous George
  • Start date

Deuce

Dump the girl friend !!! Take 15+ hours a semester! Go to summer school. Get a degree in something worth while at a creditable university!!! Think about joinining the AIR Nat'l guard for tuition assistance--here it's paid for at our state colleges through the guard.
NO EXCUSES - GET THE JOB DONE-DON'T LOOK BACK
&
GOOD LUCK

I'll agree with this statement 110%

I joined the Air national guard between my soph. and jr. years of college.

it was hands down the BEST DECISION i have ever made. i would recommend it to anyone.

i LOVE my job there (i fix jet airplanes) it's fun and i work with awesome people, i am treated 110% better there than at UPS. and they have ridiclious school benefits, loan re-imbursment, tuition assistance, GI bill etc.. etc.. etc... and i have been to some really cool places that i never would have seen otherwise....

and i just got my degree last august so all is well

satellitedriver

Stay in school and protect your tool.

God Bless your little cotton socks diadlover, I know we crossed swords before, but I like your sense of humor. Had some good times in Pheonix back in 1972, hope the woman are better looking than they were back then. I wonder who that comment will tic off. Waiting to see what costume you will come up with for Christmas. If I am not kicked off this sight for my sense of humor.

25yrvet

Deuce---
My son got 2 years on the job training in ATC through the AIR guard. As a 21 year old 'kid' he made 60k & trained others in the tower. He'll be a GS 13 next year = 70k

His dad says, "Rock On"

70k--very little OT, outta the weather & not that much stress!!

What kind of planes do you work on?

diadlover

God Bless your little cotton socks diadlover, I know we crossed swords before, but I like your sense of humor. Had some good times in Pheonix back in 1972, hope the woman are better looking than they were back then. I wonder who that comment will tic off. Waiting to see what costume you will come up with for Christmas. If I am not kicked off this sight for my sense of humor.
Yes, I was mistaken and took you for another "dammor". My apologies. Phoenix is still hit or miss with the women. Most of the beautiful ones have been snatched up by the doctors and lawyers and they now live over in Scottsdale. You need a net worth of at least $1 million just to drive through that place so I've never been, but I hear it's pretty nice.
There are members here that IMO take the browncafe way too seriously. I'm not implying that there is anything wrong with that, the browncafe needs them. So it is wise to watch what you say or you just may piss off the Queen (I love you, Cheryl!). Unless of course you don't care what they think, like me. My Christmas pic is already done. Stay tuned.......

Overpaid Union Thug

My best friend is an air traffic controller. He put in 4 years in the Air Force so he could. Yes they make allot of $$$ but ATC was ranked the most stressfull job in the world. Saw it on the Discovery Channel (where else?). That isn't saying that every single tower in the world is full of stressed out men/women with fat bank accounts. There are plenty of towers where controllers are doing whatever they can to stay awake from bordem. My friend works in one of those. Air Traffic controllers have been known to flip out and go rob banks. It's just a strange job. It pays good but I couldn't do it. I have to move around or I go crazy. Actually air traffic control pay is in the process of being cut dramatically. A few controllers I knew at Lackland Air Force Base (actually Kelly Field) passed up on civilian jobs when it was time to seperate fromt the Air Force because of that. They took the $45,000 reenlistment bonus and stayed in.

25yrvet

My kid is busy only 20% of the time; and kind of appreciates the challenge when it comes. I know some towers are 'contract' instead of gov't and that could be the difference. Your friends at Lackland probably couldn't get a gov't job right away--not enough diversified situations at many military fields. So they woulda had to settle for a contract tower for a little more experience for a while.
I wished I would have persued ATC as a kid; but back then if you told the military you wanted ATC chances are they would give you an M16 & tell you to guard the tower perimeter. That is till Reagan fired all the gov't controllers

jules23

Logic? Who needs logic?
Right decision...I did it myself 15 years ago...quit my job and went back to school. best decision i ever made. good luck...and if i may...i agree with 25yrvet...try out the Air National Guard...I have two brothers in...one got his college degree paid for by the ANG...the other one is going back and getting his. Just something to think about.

Brownnblue

If I were a prospective employer, the following attributes would get my attention:

-40 something applicant, (strong work ethic, responsible, can count on him being at work everyday)
-18 years at a well known, highly visible package delivery company (see above attribute as well as the ablility to do large amounts of work unsupervised and within time constraints)
-recent business degree (is this guy superhuman? How did he do this while killing himself at the well known package delivery company? Can you say "intestinal fortitude"?
-capable of a sustained drive and high speed assimilation of information relevant to time confines, all while prioritizing. (see above attributes)
-the ability to think outside the box, (this applicant seems to know that there is more to life than money. Happiness and inner peace seem to be a variable in his life's equation.)

Yeah.......I would give him a chance. There would be a probation period just like the one he had at the highly visible package delivery company.

Game, set, match. One trick pony rides away.

Foamer Pyle

I was not expecting someone to through out a negative towards anyone trying to further their education. My 18 years of loyalty to this company does account for something, and everyone knows what a tough job this is. I have two outside friends in the pharmaceutical sales business, and one is an ex-ups driver; now making 150k a year. Lots of companies wont hire snot nosed kids right out of college, with no track record, or any kind of work experience. Believe me I could get a job earning a comparative income without too much trouble. And even if I do not leave, at least I have a back up plan in place; I am sure you will be painting homes or roofing if something happens and you can no longer work for ups. Once you have a degree no one can take it away from you.