R.I.P. DRA

Ricochet1a

somehow two largish stations are going to be consolidated into one station in my area within a year or so, they're just going to 'retrofit' the building but unless they buy some of the houses behind the sta, knock them down, and increase the station's capacity by at least half either they're totally insane, or, a lot of volume and employees are going to be leaving express. so its a tossup

A couple of years ago, I discussed how Express was getting ready to consolidate some smaller stations into larger 'mega' stations. You can pull up the postings, its all here for all to read. I actually saw blueprints for a number of these planned stations, which were state of the art facilities.

Then something happened - they didn't get built with the exception of those that were REALLY needed (smaller stations in leased property which were forced out, leaving Express with no choice but to go forward).

This was yet again another business plan of Express which they dithered on, and in many cases put off indefinitely. The reason was cash flow. They had other things in mind back in late 2011 (I wonder what....) for their cash in 2012 and 2013. The money went to aircraft, and the current employee buyouts...

Express WILL consolidate many of their smaller stations into larger mega-stations. They've got Office to provide the 'customer service' for Express product (written extensively about this), so Express doesn't need to have WSCs spread out like they needed 10+ years ago. In addition, with the increasing span of control being forced on operations, having mega-stations ensures that at least one operations manager is present at all times. In some of the smaller stations right now (that have undergone a reduction in the number of ops managers), there are times when there isn't ANY manager on-site when operations are happening. This is usually in the PM during the reload, but Express doesn't like to have an operation running without at least one manager present.

Express knows that it can't continue to retrofit old buildings and have that be cost effective. So the 'plans' are to build mega-stations out in some empty field (low land acquisition cost), then build a facility which they believe they can get 30 years of use out of. The layout of the facility is optimized for traffic and package flow through the building, with optimized loading docks for CTVs. The buildings AREN'T placed to facilitate easy customer access (many of them are planned to be MILES outside normal commercial districts), they are placed to minimize land acquisition cost and more or less to encourage customers to utilize FedEx Office as their pickup and drop off points for shipments.

I'd look for Express to push ahead with this starting with the beginning of FY 15 (June 2014). They'll have the expense of the buyouts pretty much behind them at that point, and will be looking at the next phase of the reorganization to put cash into. They'll also have a better idea of just how big they need to have these stations, with all the part-time routes being run out of them (more vehicles needed), along with a better computation of the additional stem times involved (station consolidation by definition will result in an INCREASE in total stem time incurred in getting volume into and out of the larger consolidated station). An increase in stem time will mean an increase in routes - all to insure time commitment is met...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A couple of years ago, I discussed how Express was getting ready to consolidate some smaller stations into larger 'mega' stations. You can pull up the postings, its all here for all to read. I actually saw blueprints for a number of these planned stations, which were state of the art facilities.

Then something happened - they didn't get built with the exception of those that were REALLY needed (smaller stations in leased property which were forced out, leaving Express with no choice but to go forward).

This was yet again another business plan of Express which they dithered on, and in many cases put off indefinitely. The reason was cash flow. They had other things in mind back in late 2011 (I wonder what....) for their cash in 2012 and 2013. The money went to aircraft, and the current employee buyouts...

Express WILL consolidate many of their smaller stations into larger mega-stations. They've got Office to provide the 'customer service' for Express product (written extensively about this), so Express doesn't need to have WSCs spread out like they needed 10+ years ago. In addition, with the increasing span of control being forced on operations, having mega-stations ensures that at least one operations manager is present at all times. In some of the smaller stations right now (that have undergone a reduction in the number of ops managers), there are times when there isn't ANY manager on-site when operations are happening. This is usually in the PM during the reload, but Express doesn't like to have an operation running without at least one manager present.

Express knows that it can't continue to retrofit old buildings and have that be cost effective. So the 'plans' are to build mega-stations out in some empty field (low land acquisition cost), then build a facility which they believe they can get 30 years of use out of. The layout of the facility is optimized for traffic and package flow through the building, with optimized loading docks for CTVs. The buildings AREN'T placed to facilitate easy customer access (many of them are planned to be MILES outside normal commercial districts), they are placed to minimize land acquisition cost and more or less to encourage customers to utilize FedEx Office as their pickup and drop off points for shipments.

I'd look for Express to push ahead with this starting with the beginning of FY 15 (June 2014). They'll have the expense of the buyouts pretty much behind them at that point, and will be looking at the next phase of the reorganization to put cash into. They'll also have a better idea of just how big they need to have these stations, with all the part-time routes being run out of them (more vehicles needed), along with a better computation of the additional stem times involved (station consolidation by definition will result in an INCREASE in total stem time incurred in getting volume into and out of the larger consolidated station). An increase in stem time will mean an increase in routes - all to insure time commitment is met...

This sounds like a potential operational disaster (for obvious reasons). I hope they do it.

Nolimitz

My wrk grp had a meeting yesterday (one of two allowed this month). Mgr stated that eng. is trying to "fix" DRA loops so that they will work and that if issues continue, the program will be seriously "looked at", possibly returning to SRA. It is so FUBAR here that I have never followed trace. I refuse to be a monkey chasing Fred's fruit running figure 8's and loop the loop all day long. Mrg's comments were "run your route as you see fit" Also we now have the gap reports and focus rtes back in place. What a freaking joy!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My wrk grp had a meeting yesterday (one of two allowed this month). Mgr stated that eng. is trying to "fix" DRA loops so that they will work and that if issues continue, the program will be seriously "looked at", possibly returning to SRA. It is so FUBAR here that I have never followed trace. I refuse to be a monkey chasing Fred's fruit running figure 8's and loop the loop all day long. Mrg's comments were "run your route as you see fit" Also we now have the gap reports and focus rtes back in place. What a freaking joy!

For maximum destructive effort, you need to follow DRA exactly, with no variations. WAD, my friend, because WAD is your friend.

Nolimitz

For maximum destructive effort, you need to follow DRA exactly, with no variations. WAD, my friend, because WAD is your friend.

Max destructive effort on my part would result in a life sentence or death penalty in this state. Im not wired to be a slave to a computer gererated day. Aint happening no way no how. I would go postal.... following DRA. in all other areas i agree w/ WAD.

ProfitServiceProfit

THIS! Wad with DRA has gotten me 4 hours of ot in the last 2 days. That's quite a bit since I've been flirting with minimums some weeks recently. It's also caused me to have 4 late p1 and a couple late so (something that never happened before) and burned up about 50% more fuel each day due to it's "efficient" routing of my stops. Thanks Fred!

thedownhillEXPRESS

THIS! Wad with DRA has gotten me 4 hours of ot in the last 2 days. That's quite a bit since I've been flirting with minimums some weeks recently. It's also caused me to have 4 late p1 and a couple late so (something that never happened before) and burned up about 50% more fuel each day due to it's "efficient" routing of my stops. Thanks Fred!

DRA is really just an old Atari wired into Fedex's super engineering office where they use the joysticks to plot our stops.

newgirl

The horror, the horror. I am sure there is a way to plot out a zip code and see the delivery stops by route number. That would be the biggest eye opener that DRA is not efficient. Not only did I criss cross myself today, I criss crossed the route next to me. I drove by stops he had to do my stops. It's truly maddening.

And, DRA actually changes the addresses on the packages. My DRA list said I had a stop for 1234 Unicorn Circle. I drove to 1234 Unicorn Circle and looked at the box and it said 1234 Unicorn Court. Unicorn Court is no where near Unicorn Circle. Thanks DRA. I don't look when I load, I just go by stop number. I look when I deliver--most of the time. I wonder if non-delivery claims are up?

Guapo

Dra put me at 1011 Louisiana and the guy next to me at 1001 Louisiana on our p1 cycle 1st - stop for both of us. We said what the heck lets saunter over to starbucks and discuss over a cappuccino.:wink2: What's not to like about DRA?

DontThrowPackages

Always nice to see the earnings go up.:clap:

Five Star

Your theories make sense with the rumor that SO service is going to go to 7PM commit for resi SO. Keep moving deferred product away from the target product. More P/Ters to deliver SO service and make PUPs.

newgirl

Your theories make sense with the rumor that SO service is going to go to 7PM commit for resi SO. Keep moving deferred product away from the target product. More P/Ters to deliver SO service and make PUPs.

See, I thought they would make more midday routes. Use part timers for the am sort and p1, then the full timers to do p2, sos and pickups and the reload. According to our mgrs p1 is really down-they send people home daily, and almost all of our part timers have been made tues-sat.

Nolimitz

Well today DRA crashed on a Sat! Normally station runs 16 rtes on Sat, today was 18 with me and another guy sucking up OT. there are 6 new pt'ers on Sat that dont even know know what SRA is... it was fun to watch at the sort... haha
station was ordered to meet service and all production buckets... none of which happened. I like the Sat mgr (he's my boss too) a new guy to the station, likes to drink the kool-aid and pretend he doesn't. He was way stressed this am. Oh well welcome to the real world.

W700

Well here in our district there was a meeting a few months back with MT3 and the O.S.S. from our station as well as the district director and a few other suck ups. In that meeting the O.S.S. began giving detailed account to all of the negative aspects of DRA. When he was done it has been said that MT3 went to cussing a blue streak about how all the other meetings he was told how good it was working and not one single O.S.S. or director had given him that much feedback. DRA has been suspended here in our district indefinitely.

newgirl

Well here in our district there was a meeting a few months back with MT3 and the O.S.S. from our station as well as the district director and a few other suck ups. In that meeting the O.S.S. began giving detailed account to all of the negative aspects of DRA. When he was done it has been said that MT3 went to cussing a blue streak about how all the other meetings he was told how good it was working and not one single O.S.S. or director had given him that much feedback. DRA has been suspended here in our district indefinitely.

I guess MT3 isn't on Browncafe then.