R.I.P. Leslie Nielsen

wkmac

I know Leslie is most known today for the Naked Gun/Airplane spoofs but I also remember him as Mike Nelson and the main character in the underwater show Sea Hunt. Another thing I remember from that show is at the end of each episode, the show closed out with the Mike Nelson character urging people to protect and preserve our planet's oceans. This was way ahead of the environmental curve we know of today but I just remember Leslie and the late great Jacque Cousteau talking about this issue and I still remember it to this day. Thanks Leslie for everything.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Yes...

"Nielsen, the dramatic lead in "Forbidden Planet" and "The Poseidon Adventure" and the bumbling detective Frank Drebin in "The Naked Gun" comedies, died on Sunday in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He was 84."

wkmac

I too watched Sea Hunt.......good old black & white TV.

Yeah that and SkyKing. I'd forgot all about the Poseidon Adventure. So many are starting to leave us. Although not known by name but the director of Star Wars Empire Strikes Back I just read also passed away today. I still remember sitting in the audience when Darth Vader uttered those immortal words, "Luke, I am your father!" and the whole audience went "WHOA" in unison. Ah, the Saturday matinee of our childhood.

moreluck

golden ticket member
That's the same collective 'gasp' I heard in the Luxor lobby when the bank of TVs there showed the verdict from the OJ trial. All the people (hundreds) gasped audibly!!

Remember Skyking's niece.......Penny

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
R.I.P. Leslie Nielsen

I absolutely loved that guy. Funny, humble, and never afraid to play the fool. I love the scene in one of the "Naked Gun" movies where the bad guy rides the missle into the Chinese fireworks factory, which promptly explodes all over the place. The ever-moronic Lt. Drebin stands there like the stereotyped cop saying "Nothing to see here". The parody of the "Dirty Harry" bit with the mayor is also wonderful. Priceless. He will be missed.