R.I.P. Neil Armstrong

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I remember watching that grainy black and white television image of him stepping out onto the lunar surface, I was eleven years old at the time. A week before that flight, my family was on vacation and we went to Cape Kennedy and saw that Saturn 5 rocket being readied for the mission. Every boy back then wanted to grow up and become an astronaut. He was an Eagle Scout too, back when I was a Troop leader we told the boys that eleven out of the twelve men who walked on the moon went through the scouting program.

texan

'Blue moon' Friday -- same day as Neil Armstrong service

WASHINGTON – There's a rare `blue moon' on Friday, a fitting wink to Neil Armstrong by the
cosmic calendar.

That's the day of a private service for Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, who
died last Saturday in Ohio at age 82.

A blue moon occurs when there's a second full moon in one calendar month. It won't happen
again until July 2015.

The full moon cycle is 29.5 days so a blue moon is uncommon and has come to mean
something rare.

The moon actually won't be colored blue.

Read more: 'Blue moon' Friday -- same day as Neil Armstrong service | Fox News

texan

2 days ago:
U.S. Navy Lt. Cmdr. Paul Nagy and Carol Armstrong, wife of Neil Armstrong, commit the cremated
remains of the Apollo 11 astronaut to sea during a service held onboard the
USS Philippine Sea in the Atlantic Ocean.
120914-coslog-ashes-1240p_photoblog900.jpg

texan

My eyes watered seeing this.
I had to do this as a Senior NCO in the Army. The presenting of the folded flag to the widow.

U.S. Navy Capt. Steve Shinego, commanding officer of the USS Philippine Sea, presents the U.S. flag to
Carol Armstrong following the burial-at-sea service on Friday.
imagesizer.jpg