R1a Was Right!!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Here's a little history lesson for both of you. The organization effort failed in 1996-97 because Fred S successfully had the Express Carrier Exemption language snuck into the FAA Reauthorization Act literally at the last minute by his political buddies. This let the RLA live-on, at which point the Teamsters just vanished. It was not the extra money tossed at topped-out couriers that made the difference, it was the legislation.

I had approached our Teamsters local back in 1995 along with 2 of my fellow disenchanted couriers. We met with 2 of their reps several times over lunch, and I met with their entire organizing team because my route had the IBT office on it and it was easily accessible to me on break. I'd park around the corner, and walk a block so management wouldn't see a FedEx van parked in the IBT lot.

We were assured legal support if we were fired, and placement in a Teamster job if necessary, so we began "informational meetings" at local halls and sometimes at neutral locations like restaurants close to stations. Attendance averaged 15-20 people, with an occasional manager or unknown person we would ask to leave, and then physically eject, as needed. All of the managers we caught were busily scribbling down the names of people they recognized. The biggest fear was that managment would retaliate against those in attendance, a very real possibility.

Soon after, I began to be followed, both on my route, and in my personal vehicle. Once, I was able to get behind the following vehicle, and was led to the home of a manager from another station, whom I knew. Let's just say they were surprised when I rang the doorbell and told them they needed to stop tailing me. Eventually, I found out this manager had been assigned to monitor me, and had to give weekly reports to the MD and Memphis. My two other friends were similarly harassed.

At work, I began to get extra stops, and my performance was monitored very closely. I had to be very careful to do everything on the up and up. The same held true for the other two "leaders".

We kept holding meetings, and despite Teamster assurance that a rep would be there, they never showed. They had promised that reps would be outside stations handing out cards and information...never happened. Even though the national had decreed that there was an organization drive, the Teamster effort was weak, at least in my location.

One day, the MD walked up to me on the belt and mentioned the raise topped-out people received, and he asked me if that would be enough to stall the drive to organize. I said "no". and walked away.

Shortly thereafter, Fred successfully got his special language inserted into the FAA Bill, and the Teamsters disappeared. I was really starting to get harassed, and I wanted to take them up on the offer of a Teamster job. "No longer on the table", was the answer. Me and my two friends were hung out to dry. One of them got canned after being targeted for a long time, and the other barely kept his job. No legal support...nothing.

Here's the point, which is the IBT plays dirty too. I hate that they are the only game in town and that they have been so weak and wavering on the whole issue of organizing Express. They don't understand the Express culture, which is like WalMart in that it means bad things if you are identified as an organizer. The IBT simply doesn't understand this, and I don't think they ever will.

Until we overcome the intimidation game that Fred plays, we won't get a union. The status quo R1a mentions seems firmly in-place for the time being. If the IBT really is the only game in town, we have to play by their rules, even if it means holding our noses as we do.It's possible, but unlikely that another union will be interested because the IBT has a corner on "drivers". Signing cards and sharing information are both key, and we cannot stop the effort.

Anything we do to thwart Fred is a good thing.

Right there, that leaves another bad taste in my mouth towards the Teamsters.

Although I have signed their cards in the past and would still do so, they always have a real crappy attitude towards us. That's why a different union (if possible) would be better for us. The signal seems to be loud and clear, they don't want us.

I talked to a Roadway Express driver recently and he wasn't real happy with the Teamsters either. He pretty much said in a nutshell that they display a couldn't care less attitude towards employee grievances. But at least they don't lose their pensions on a whim or at the stroke of a pen.

vantexan

Originally Posted by DorkHead
Threatening a national slow down with the Media covering it would only work to FS`s advantage.
How so?

Who do you think is going to look like the bad guy? A bunch of couriers who won`t be recorded on video crying that they will create a "slow down....." or Fred S who has all the money at his disposal to rebut anything and everything the couriers say??

If we don't get our reasons for discontent across to the public, with explanations for keeping our identities secret, then the public will never be aware there's a problem at Express. Haven't you ever seen an interview with the speaker's face obscured? But whatever, it's all academic at this point. I do know this, if it's their intent to root out malcontents, or to lay off people in the near future, they better throw them a monetary bone for silence, or there will be plenty of talk about how FedEx systematically dismantled our financial lives. Yeah, I know, not as important as signing cards.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Most of you just keep taking what Fred is dishing out.
But not you! You did something about it! You QUIT! Wait, no you didn't. You STARTED A BIG UNION DRIVE!! Wait, not that either. You emailed Fred and MT3 and gave them what for!!! Hang on, nope.

Heck, let us know when you do something about it.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yes I proved that nothing's going to happen except alot of talk. Prove me wrong! But you're off point anyways. SPH says I'm all talk but I'm betting I've stuck my neck out more than he has. Everyone is a warrior on the computer.

It's a cathartic thing, like when the members of the United Patriot Militia of Southern Derp County get together for maneuvers. They dress in camo, shoot at targets, run the tire obstacle course thing, get patches for their jackets, and have a ranking system. These guys ain't going to do anything, they know they won't do anything, and they know that their "brothers" won't do anything. They all realize that none of them will do anything.

So why do they do it?

When they're all together going through the motions, they blow smoke up each others' butts. "I'll pretend like you're for real if you'll pretend I'm for real." It makes them feel good. It is a complicated hug-fest.

thedownhillEXPRESS

It's a cathartic thing, like when the members of the United Patriot Militia of Southern Derp County get together for maneuvers. They dress in camo, shoot at targets, run the tire obstacle course thing, get patches for their jackets, and have a ranking system. These guys ain't going to do anything, they know they won't do anything, and they know that their "brothers" won't do anything. They all realize that none of them will do anything.

So why do they do it?

When they're all together going through the motions, they blow smoke up each others' butts. "I'll pretend like you're for real if you'll pretend I'm for real." It makes them feel good. It is a complicated hug-fest.

Sounds like you had a lot of imaginary friends as a child .

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

So why do they do it?

You seem to know a lot about the Militia/Sovereign citizen lifestyle, don't you? Who knows, perhaps you are the Grand Imperial Wizard of Cornpone County, TN, or whatever hick burg it is you hail from.

I have been an organizer before and have been actively promoting unions on this site and in my station for a long time. So, I'm not blowing smoke like you are.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But not you! You did something about it! You QUIT! Wait, no you didn't. You STARTED A BIG UNION DRIVE!! Wait, not that either. You emailed Fred and MT3 and gave them what for!!! Hang on, nope.

1. I started the FedEx Forums in cooperation with Cheryl, who runs this site.

2. I have been an active Teamsters organizer. I co-ran our local organization drive back in 1996.

3. I have contacted numerous media outlets, including 60 Minutes, MSNBC, and many local affiliates. You'd be surprised where some of them get their stories. Too bad I haven't got one of the big ones...yet.

4. I actively particpate and share releveant information here on BC.

5. I am leading a card-signing drive at our local stations...under the radar as much as possible.

6. I counter the FedEx shills and flaks that are placed here on the BC...like you.

In short, I do what I can do. Actually, I'm glad they chose you, because you are easy pickings.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sounds like you had a lot of imaginary friends as a child .

Those are his real friends. He is Lt. Colonel Dano from the Cornpone County Citizen's Alliance to Protect America. He is tasked with public relations for these militia warriors who are going to save America!! He spends a lot of time in the backwoods. You remember "Deliverance", don't you?

TUT

Here's a little history lesson for both of you. The organization effort failed in 1996-97 because Fred S successfully had the Express Carrier Exemption language snuck into the FAA Reauthorization Act literally at the last minute by his political buddies. This let the RLA live-on, at which point the Teamsters just vanished. It was not the extra money tossed at topped-out couriers that made the difference, it was the legislation.

I had approached our Teamsters local back in 1995 along with 2 of my fellow disenchanted couriers. We met with 2 of their reps several times over lunch, and I met with their entire organizing team because my route had the IBT office on it and it was easily accessible to me on break. I'd park around the corner, and walk a block so management wouldn't see a FedEx van parked in the IBT lot.

Holy crap, you were already pissed off way back in '95? How do you do this to yourself is so far beyond me, self-mutilation. Your life is to get justice in some way from Fedex, then what? So it used to be the '95 October Surprise, interesting!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Holy crap, you were already pissed off way back in '95? How do you do this to yourself is so far beyond me, self-mutilation. Ground was taking your jobs even before Fedex acquired them, good grief.

The takeways were just gathering steam.

vantexan

Holy crap, you were already pissed off way back in '95? How do you do this to yourself is so far beyond me, self-mutilation. Your life is to get justice in some way from Fedex, then what? So it used to be the '95 October Surprise, interesting!

Topped out employees went about 4.5 years without a raise and pay was much lower then. Our jobs were much closer to what UPS did back then with stepvans full of boxes.

jmeti000

Topped out employees went about 4.5 years without a raise and pay was much lower then. Our jobs were much closer to what UPS did back then with stepvans full of boxes.

Hence the meaning of the words "Topped out"...and the cost of living was also cheaper back then too.

vantexan

Hence the meaning of the words "Topped out"...and the cost of living was also cheaper back then too.

We weren't paid that great. When I quit in '97 I was topped out on the C payscale at $13.50hr. That was in July, was making $13.11 until a few months before and finally after 4.5 years got 39 cents an hour raise. Even if topped out we should get a cost of living adjustment every so often to account for inflation. And by the way, I was domiciled up in the mountains of Colorado where costs were about 30% higher than where station was that brought me my freight. Found out that guy before me domiciled there got same at as station but when he transferred they posted the job with two payscales lower pay. And don't say if you didn't like it why didn't you quit? That's where I did quit, got rehired about 17 months later.

IsItME

Thank you....
I wrongly speculated on why he dropped off, my mistake. As I count down the days until I walk out with my buyout after making years of havoc, I'd like to add that everyone needs to wake up. So many people like to attack Mr. FedEx, who's real name should be something like Mr. Anti-FedEx but his message is consistent. There's one more point that needs to be understood. The clock is ticking on getting a union in FedEx. The company is systematically destroying those with a living wage and those with a functioning brain. See, they replace the talent with low paid morons each time someone is terminated or quits. They will remove everyone with an expectation of this company. Then, when union activity shows up, they can easily trick the $11-$13 employee into understanding how bad a union is for them. You know, the company gets wind of union activity and then the worthless corporate goons come in and pretend they care and the new employee is easily fooled. The scum bag HR babes start hanging out and they wage a war against the activity. It happens at more than just FedEx. When that happens? Someone has to be there to say, SEE, WHY DO YOU THINK THEY'RE HERE? IT'S BECAUSE THEY'RE SCARED WE ARE GOING TO STAND UP FOR OURSELVES. Everyone is overpaid at this point. The company is on the edge of the cliff and just needs to be kicked off. For those of you talking union, do not let the few cowards/idiots on here trying to tear you down distract you. It starts with a vision. Imagine you're the first to get a union in. Imagine the dominos fall and this garbage company stock sinks to where it belongs at about $50. It can be done. In this case, the union isn't really about how much better it can make it on the individual, it's about how bad you can make it on the company.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I wrongly speculated on why he dropped off, my mistake. As I count down the days until I walk out with my buyout after making years of havoc, I'd like to add that everyone needs to wake up. So many people like to attack Mr. FedEx, who's real name should be something like Mr. Anti-FedEx but his message is consistent. There's one more point that needs to be understood. The clock is ticking on getting a union in FedEx. The company is systematically destroying those with a living wage and those with a functioning brain. See, they replace the talent with low paid morons each time someone is terminated or quits. They will remove everyone with an expectation of this company. Then, when union activity shows up, they can easily trick the $11-$13 employee into understanding how bad a union is for them. You know, the company gets wind of union activity and then the worthless corporate goons come in and pretend they care and the new employee is easily fooled. The scum bag HR babes start hanging out and they wage a war against the activity. It happens at more than just FedEx. When that happens? Someone has to be there to say, SEE, WHY DO YOU THINK THEY'RE HERE? IT'S BECAUSE THEY'RE SCARED WE ARE GOING TO STAND UP FOR OURSELVES. Everyone is overpaid at this point. The company is on the edge of the cliff and just needs to be kicked off. For those of you talking union, do not let the few cowards/idiots on here trying to tear you down distract you. It starts with a vision. Imagine you're the first to get a union in. Imagine the dominos fall and this garbage company stock sinks to where it belongs at about $50. It can be done. In this case, the union isn't really about how much better it can make it on the individual, it's about how bad you can make it on the company.

Exactly. Excellent observations on the intentions of upper management. I hope you decide to keep posting at least until you leave.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Well said my friend, but that last sentence really hits the ball right out of the park.

The upper management needs to see what it's like to lose and their time is overdue.