Racism @ UPS and the Union

It won't be long and us white guys will be able to play the race card. I've already started to practice my "boo hoo whoa is me" speech.

I don't know.......Slavery, Reconstruction, Jim Crow, the Civil Rights movement..... It takes a few hundred years of systematic oppression before you are able to 'play' the race card. Keep practicing that speech.

Coca Cola Delivery Man87

Exactly how does UPS & the Union handle racism and workplace violence? We had feeder driver recently cursing racial slurs, threaten a supervisor, and threaten to kill workers at the center... yet he is back in service less than a week after the incident.There's something terribly wrong with this. Is this tolerable just because my center is in South Carolina?

hours upon hours of heavy lifting(warehouse,driver,etc) and dealing with "less than desirable" customers make most men more aggressive.

oldngray

nowhere special
I don't know.......Slavery, Reconstruction, Jim Crow, the Civil Rights movement..... It takes a few hundred years of systematic oppression before you are able to 'play' the race card. Keep practicing that speech.

Nobody still alive was alive 100+ years ago so blaming those issues is just an excuse. Equality = equal with no favoritism for any race. Race should not be an issue or even considered or it is either discrimination or reverse discrimination.

Nobody still alive was alive 100+ years ago so blaming those issues is just an excuse. Equality = equal with no favoritism for any race. Race should not be an issue or even considered or it is either discrimination or reverse discrimination.

Equal? Like Jim Crow, separate but equal? How well did that work out? Which by the ended in the 60's, not a 100+ years ago.

Something as institutionalized as racism doesn't die with the people who practiced it.

oldngray

nowhere special
Equal? Like Jim Crow, separate but equal? How well did that work out? Which by the ended in the 60's, not a 100+ years ago.

Something as institutionalized as racism doesn't die with the people who practiced it.

Separate and equal still factors in race. I said race should not be looked at in any way whether segregation, desegregation, affirmative action, or any other method of using race. By their very natures any program that uses race as a factor is racist whether it hinders or benefits minorities.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I have noticed at our hub (Whites Creek , Tn) in Nashville that we now have a Union within our Union . We have a Black Caucus that has a very strong presence around our facility . Strange as it might seem to some , it seems as if a large portion of our black Teamster brothers participate in this new found Union . While we are seeking to strenghten our Union , Local 480 , we are put at odds with each other when having to wonder why would we need a seperate Union just for minoritys . I have personally tried to buy a T-shirt/hoodie as I thought the design was cool , but told I couldnt purchase the shirt , I was told I could purchase Teamster or Local 480 shirts at our Local Union Hall , which left me to feel as if my 20 dollar bill wasnt wanted because it was coming from a white guy . If anybody could please explain to me why we need 2 seperate unions for blacks and whites , while in the end the same business agents represent us both , do me a favor and give me and the rest of us a reason why a black caucus is needed

The Teamster were running out of holes to blow smoke into. There is also a womens caucus, and a hispanic caucus.

Its bigger than you think.

TOS.

Tired

[quote="rod, post: 1308705, member: 5382"calledwon't be long and us white guys will be able to play the race card. I've already started to practice my "boo hoo whoa is me" speech.[/quote]
So exactly what would you do if you were called all types of racial names and mfs to your face and even had your life
threatened while at work? Please educate
us on what proper procedures/ steps
should be taken. I have yet to get an answer.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So exactly what would you do if you were called all types of racial names and mfs to your face and even had your life
I wouldn't take it up with management, HR and my steward....I would just post about it on the internet.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
This thread goes to the top of my "this will not end well" list...

h4A4658BF.jpg

This Will Not End Well.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Call the 800 number.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
hours upon hours of heavy lifting(warehouse,driver,etc) and dealing with "less than desirable" customers make most men more aggressive.
I feel ya dude. People have no freakin clue about people in our profession and how quickly we love to destroy somebody in under 60 seconds. Time bomb waiting to go off. That's what cracks me up about people who are dumb enough to step to us or cuss us, or what have ya. Im just like really you will get destroyed by one of us lol.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I saw a center manager and a driver almost comes to blows out in the parking lot I was like wtf dude lol. If it were me I would have told that center manager, dude you don't want to go out there cause you might get put to sleep for the rest of your life lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I feel ya dude. People have no freakin clue about people in our profession and how quickly we love to destroy somebody in under 60 seconds. Time bomb waiting to go off. That's what cracks me up about people who are dumb enough to step to us or cuss us, or what have ya. Im just like really you will get destroyed by one of us lol.
I saw a center manager and a driver almost comes to blows out in the parking lot I was like wtf dude lol. If it were me I would have told that center manager, dude you don't want to go out there cause you might get put to sleep for the rest of your life lol.

You really need to tone it down.