Radios in package cars

HazMatMan

I am an air driver, and for the last several months I have brought with me a small radio I bought at radio shack. Yesterday my supervisor came and told me that I can no longer take a radio with me on route. I told her that it was my understanding that radios were allowed in package cars per the national master agreement. I searched through the prior contract and found the language under Article 18 Section 8, but I thought it would be best to find it in the new contract just to have something recent to reference to. The only place I know of to download the new contract is makeupsdeliver.org and it is just the tentative agreement. In that version is appears sections 7 through 13 seem to be missing under article 18. Does anybody have a more recent version of the new contract, or can tell me where I can find the language about radios being allowed in the package cars? Thanks!

I bet she is trying to make a name for herself by being little miss bully. Women in management (from my experience and not all of them) seem to think they need to be a little more abrasive with the workers to get respect. As long as I have been working at UPS (19 years 4 months) I have seen radios come and go. Some management allows it, others don't. Once again, I am not talking about all female management. And I am sure there are plenty of male management that don't allow radios either. I think I saw something in the contract about feeders and radios.

Here in New Jersey, the younger drivers LOVE to use radios. For instance, the driver that delivers on my street has his radio blasting everytime I see him. I know that it definitely helps to pass the time. When I was a helper, conversation tended to be running on empty when you were with your driver for 5-8 hours a day for 30+ straight days.

Last edited:

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Re: Another "radio in pkg cars" question

Most drivers in my center with radios have the alligator clips connected to the battery. They wrap rubber heater hose and electrical tape around the cord to protect it from the elements and cushion it from the impact it receives from being sandwiched underneath the steps.

I am currently trying to explore my best options for a radio and connection setup. My P12 has two cigarette lighter outlets but they are not hot and receive no power through them.
Try this. Open the battery compartment and see if there is a fuse holder on top of the batteries. If there is, check to see if there is a fuse in it. My p700 has the posts under the dash, but when I checked to see if it had power, it did not. I spent my 10 minute break one day searching for the reason and finally found the empty fuse holder at the battery. Put a 10a fuse in it the next day and have had power ever since. Good luck

browntruckracer

JUICED85STANG
guys, we all need to be real careful when wiring these radios in the pkge cars. if they are not correctly they could cause a fire and then they demand for all the radios to be removed. there is power available underneath the dash in every pkge car even the old ones. do not have any wires on display to be tripped over or in the way when the mechanics are doin repairs. if you are in good with your mechanic give him a little something to help u get it properly installed. if you are doing it yourself make sure you put a fusible link somewhere on the positive side and make sure you dont route the wires somewhere they will be crimped by metal, this is what will cause a fire. i have installed many car audio systems so if you have any questions feel free to ask. i had a fellow UPSer who has a cabinet shop build a box then i install a car head unit and 2 5 1/4 inch speakers. it sits comfortibly on the dash held down with 2 bungy cords. i drive a 700 so there is power available underneath the dash with gator clips attached to them. AND A 20AMP FUSIBLE LINK.