Radios in package cars

raceanoncr

I see waht your saying racer, but ive had it with the company making up rules as they go on contractual language. They cannot change the rules without the unions consent, but yet they do as they want until someone stands up for what is right. Im refusing to get pushed around anymore, if they want to go into battle over petty non infractions LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE.

I agree Red, they DO make up the rules as they go along until someone stands up. I DO think more should "go into battle" by filing grievances.

Again, I only try to talk about what's happened to me and with me at this company. I know I've got a big target on my back. I've been here almost 29 yrs and, I figger, have filed maybe 5 or more grievances a yr, on average. Over situations or excess pay or something I didn't deserve? No. Every time it was over something in the contract the company would try to circumvent and I would just try to rein em back in. I'm not a steward but have bid on some unusual runs that the company had no experience in so they would make up their own rules.

I learned a long time ago to "work as directed" and file later. Digging my heels in the sand before a violation has occured will just anger all parties. Let THEM violate first and then you're free to run with it to the limit! It's worked in my life. That's all I'm saying.

iloadthetruck

I was told the other day by a manager about not having my bluetooth on while in the building. i mildly argued my case that my earpiece and the in building wireless systems do not run on similar technology. The building should be wired with Wifi and not Bluetooth. Bluetooth only has a range of 33 feet and if our building is only communicating on 33 foot intervals then we are truely pathetic and a Fortune company.

Bluetooth and WiFi run on the same frequencies. So they will interfere with each other - when I use my Bluetooth stuff on my PC the WiFi signal drops a bit. The other problem is there are dozens of other Bluetooth/WiFi devices in the building - DIADs, GSS scanners, etc. I've had GSS scanners disconnect because the person using it was also using a Bluetooth headset at the same time. And the DIAD downloads/uploads and gets EDD through WiFi, you know. Would you like it if you and every other schmoe's Bluetooth headset kept your OMS from downloading a new board to replace your always-crashing DIAD?

As for radios, heck, go for it, I like the guy who has a Sirius boombox... that really guarantees you can listen to whatever you want.

Cementups

Box Monkey
As for radios, heck, go for it, I like the guy who has a Sirius boombox... that really guarantees you can listen to whatever you want.

That's why I have the sirius. I have drivers ask me about it al the time and if I really like. I must like it since I have 4 subscriptions to Sirius. I use the one in my package car the most of course:laugh:

upsguysavannah

Never found a reason to use a radio. I'm so busy I don't even think about it and the day is over before I know it.

I agree, I think that a radio is very distracting in a package car. Tried it a couple of times and decided to do without it. I can concentrate and keep my thoughts straight much better without the music/talking. And I never see any drivers in my building using them, so we may not be allowed to, I never asked. The majority of drivers in my old center (Philly area) had radios, but that was 3 years ago, don't know if they're still allowed. (BTW, Sirius is AWESOME! If you don't have it, get it.)

Regarding cell phones, mine stays in my backpack in the cargo area. If somebody at the center needs to speak with me, they can send me a "call the center" message on the DIAD. Using a cell while driving (even with bluetooth) is very distracting, I don't even do it in my personal car.