Rails

Discussion in 'The Archives' started by upslocal480, Oct 28, 2002.

1. upslocal480

upslocal480 Guest

There isn't much rail traffic where I live but I've been through other towns and seen trains passing through carrying a crap load of UPS Pups on them. I've never seen a UPS with a rail yard. I'm just curious about how the UPS rail system works. Do any of those trailers have packages on them? I was driving through Springfield, Tenn a while back and saw a train with UPS trailers on it and was wondering where it came from and where it might be going. I believe it was headed northwest. Anyone deal with this?

2. thedrooler

thedrooler Guest

UPS does a tremendous amount of rail movements. These loads are called TOFCs.(Trailers On Flat Cars) The Chicago Area Consolidation Hub(CACH) has a rail yard ajacent to it strictly for UPS rail movements. These rail movements go all over the country.

Drooler

3. upslocal480

upslocal480 Guest

How is the rails handled as far as labor is concerned? Does UPS have it's own trains? Or is out contracted out with other rail companys?

4. jackvette

jackvette Guest

UPS is a customer of the railroads. There are many hubs with adjacent railyards or ones very close.

I think I once read that 1 in 5 trailers on a flat car (TOFC) are UPS movements.

5. peacock71

peacock71 Guest

UPS and the USPS are the railroads largest customers. My guess is that UPS spends about $1.5B with them every year...

Go UPS!
    P71