Raises for hourly employees defered till October.

!Retired!

I am also free to voice my opinion here. You can always move to North Korea. I hear they have a little fat man that doesn't like free speech. Otherwise don't read the posts on this website.
I'm not the one on here complaining my job and the company I work for suck. If I didn't like my job or the company I work for, I'd leave. Are there things that can be done better/differently? Of course. But, that would be true for any large corporation if you worked for them.

P.S. Just voicing my opinion, not trying to ram my views down your throat like others on here.

MAKAVELI

I am also free to voice my opinion here. You can always move to North Korea. I hear they have a little fat man that doesn't like free speech. Otherwise don't read the posts on this website.
I'm not the one on here complaining my job and the company I work for suck. If I didn't like my job or the company I work for, I'd leave. Are there things that can be done better/differently? Of course. But, that would be true for any large corporation if you worked for them.

P.S. Just voicing my opinion, not trying to ram my views down your throat like others on here.

What does it matter to you that we voice our opinion about our employer? You ask why don't we just leave? Well it's simple most of us have families to take care of . We can't just leave tomorrow. We have mortgages, rent, medical bills, kids in college, etc.I'm sure most who feel the disgust of the treatment that we are getting are thinking of a exit plan if things don't change. So if we want to come here and vent, that's our right. If you don't like it then don't read the posts. Plain and simple.

jmeti000

Well, not to interupts the family squabbling...but I just wrote the teamsters and asked why with all of todays modern technology they havent figured out a way for people to sign union authorization cards online. If anyone knows feel free to answer. Personally, it seems like it would make efforts a little easier not to meantion save a few trees in the process.

MAKAVELI

Well, not to interupts the family squabbling...but I just wrote the teamsters and asked why with all of todays modern technology they havent figured out a way for people to sign union authorization cards online. If anyone knows feel free to answer. Personally, it seems like it would make efforts a little easier not to meantion save a few trees in the process.

Because that process is stuck in the past. First the union would need to have a majority of the workers to sign the union cards then have a third party verify the cards and petition for a vote. Sounds simple , but isn't. They probably would need legislation to change the process and we all know the probability of that happening.

Ricochet1a

I"m going to break my silence and chime in here...

For those who are relatively new posters, you'll need to look up some of my posting history...

I would dearly love to put out a "I told you so" to a select few posters here; but since all the hourly employees of Express are going to get screwed (as I told you so...), I'll just leave it at that.

Memphis is paying out over 500 MILLION in buyouts to the redundant salaried employees (posted 2 years ago that they could do this if they needed to), but they can't scrape together 10% of that amount (50 MILLION) in order to get modest pay raises for its wage employees who are actually doing the work...

Has the proverbial lightbulb gone on yet?

People, when are you going to realize that you are being screwed and decide to do something CONSTRUCTIVE about it (either leave or organize)?

I left, I'm gone from Express, I knew this was coming years ago and made my exit plan. I tried to do my best to get those of you that are left to do one or the other - or be prepared for Fred taking you to the shearing shed then the screwing shed each year. This year he is shearing you a little closer and having you spend a bit more time in the screwing shed afterwards.

For all the talk going on around here, you might as well go out and buy yourselves a fanny pack with a large tube of K-Y in it, so you can lube up prior to being taken into the screwing shed so it isn't quite as painful - you might as well take out a few subscriptions to a few magazines so you'll have some reading material to keep you occupied while you are bent over too.

Here's an idea... Each of you go out and have union rep cards printed up tonight (FedEx Office has late hours in many cities...), then make an announcement to your fellow Couriers tomorrow AM and tell them about the news that just came out (I doubt station management will make the announcement tomorrow AM - they haven't had the necessary HR approved talking points to dish out with the steaming pile of dung). Then hand out rep cards to any and all Couriers who are interested.

That would put the fear of God into your station's management. Not some futile threat of work stoppage.

If you merely make an announcement, then hand out cards, station management would be the ones making futile threats against you, showing all the station suckups how management truly fears a union move.

As to online union rep card potential...

The law isn't set up to handle that. Technology has outpaced the law, and the law regarding certification of unions requires physical cards to be signed by potential organizing employees. The employer has the right to contest the signing of cards and to verify the signatures (have someone look at the cards PRIOR to a certification election being held), BEFORE the NLRB rules that a sufficient number in in craft have indeed signed valid cards and an election is to be held. You can bet your last dollar, that corporate interest will do everything in their power to PREVENT any form of electronic representation card signing, it isn't in THEIR interest.

So that option is out. You are stuck with the RLA and stuck with the need of signing a paper representation card and stuck with the IBT. It is a hell of a position to be in, but there isn't any changing it - so no use in complaining about it. Your options are to jump through the hoops and organize, make an exit plan and get the hell out, or get yourself a fanny pack and a few subscriptions and get some reading in.

I'll hang around for a few days to put in what I can, but there isn't any good news to put out. The screwing is just getting worse for you, and until you take some action one way or another (organize or get out), it will just continue.

Ricochet1a

Because that process is stuck in the past. First the union would need to have a majority of the workers to sign the union cards then have a third party verify the cards and petition for a vote. Sounds simple , but isn't. They probably would need legislation to change the process and we all know the probability of that happening.

Partly incorrect. It doesn't require an absolute majority to sign union representation cards to get an election held (if memory serves correctly, it is 35%, but don't hold me to that). The third party would be the union who is specified on the signed representation cards (when one signs a card, they are signing a petition for the NLRB to hold a certification election for a SPECIFIC union - in Express Couriers case it would be the IBT). If and when the union being petitioned to have a certification vote held decides to ask for an election, there is a process of "verifying" the signed representation cards (to ensure the signatures are authentic AND to verify the cards are from actual and current employees).

Given the situation with Express and the IBT, the IBT would most certainly want to have a majority of Couriers (or others in a different craft) sign representation cards BEFORE they petitioned for an election - they don't want to lose face in having only 40% sign cards, then not being able to get enough fence sitters to vote for certification once an election is approved.

Ricochet1a

Welcome back R1A.

Only temporary... For some reason I have some sliver of hope that enough will see what is happening and do something about it (either find other employment or get organized) - and improve their lives. The economy has improved in the past year, so there are options for experienced drivers out there. Get your CDL and hit Monster... there are some job opportunities for those with a demonstrated work ethic and the proper training. At this point, there's no hope of staying with Express - excepting the development of a collective outrage at the machine of Express and actual organizing activity going on...

XFILED

I"m going to break my silence and chime in here...

For those who are relatively new posters, you'll need to look up some of my posting history...

I would dearly love to put out a "I told you so" to a select few posters here; but since all the hourly employees of Express are going to get screwed (as I told you so...), I'll just leave it at that.

Memphis is paying out over 500 MILLION in buyouts to the redundant salaried employees (posted 2 years ago that they could do this if they needed to), but they can't scrape together 10% of that amount (50 MILLION) in order to get modest pay raises for its wage employees who are actually doing the work...

Has the proverbial lightbulb gone on yet?

People, when are you going to realize that you are being screwed and decide to do something CONSTRUCTIVE about it (either leave or organize)?

I left, I'm gone from Express, I knew this was coming years ago and made my exit plan. I tried to do my best to get those of you that are left to do one or the other - or be prepared for Fred taking you to the shearing shed then the screwing shed each year. This year he is shearing you a little closer and having you spend a bit more time in the screwing shed afterwards.

For all the talk going on around here, you might as well go out and buy yourselves a fanny pack with a large tube of K-Y in it, so you can lube up prior to being taken into the screwing shed so it isn't quite as painful - you might as well take out a few subscriptions to a few magazines so you'll have some reading material to keep you occupied while you are bent over too.

Here's an idea... Each of you go out and have union rep cards printed up tonight (FedEx Office has late hours in many cities...), then make an announcement to your fellow Couriers tomorrow AM and tell them about the news that just came out (I doubt station management will make the announcement tomorrow AM - they haven't had the necessary HR approved talking points to dish out with the steaming pile of dung). Then hand out rep cards to any and all Couriers who are interested.

That would put the fear of God into your station's management. Not some futile threat of work stoppage.

If you merely make an announcement, then hand out cards, station management would be the ones making futile threats against you, showing all the station suckups how management truly fears a union move.

As to online union rep card potential...

The law isn't set up to handle that. Technology has outpaced the law, and the law regarding certification of unions requires physical cards to be signed by potential organizing employees. The employer has the right to contest the signing of cards and to verify the signatures (have someone look at the cards PRIOR to a certification election being held), BEFORE the NLRB rules that a sufficient number in in craft have indeed signed valid cards and an election is to be held. You can bet your last dollar, that corporate interest will do everything in their power to PREVENT any form of electronic representation card signing, it isn't in THEIR interest.

So that option is out. You are stuck with the RLA and stuck with the need of signing a paper representation card and stuck with the IBT. It is a hell of a position to be in, but there isn't any changing it - so no use in complaining about it. Your options are to jump through the hoops and organize, make an exit plan and get the hell out, or get yourself a fanny pack and a few subscriptions and get some reading in.

I'll hang around for a few days to put in what I can, but there isn't any good news to put out. The screwing is just getting worse for you, and until you take some action one way or another (organize or get out), it will just continue.

Its good to see you post again......Thank you for your posts.....Can you point me in the right direction to obtain Union Cards??

Ricochet1a

Its good to see you post again......Thank you for your posts.....Can you point me in the right direction to obtain Union Cards??

I've forgotten how many times I've posted this link....

http://fedxmx.com/sites/fedxmx.com/files/FedEx_RepresentationCard.pdf

It is a PDF file, one page. I just checked it and the link is still valid (the IBT hasn't given up on the mechanics it seems...)

Don't count on any help from the IBT - they have given up on Express Couriers. You are on you own. It is a hell of a situation to be in, but there isn't any other way to put it.

You can put this file on a stick and take it into any copy shop and they can open the PDF -and print out as many "cards" as you want. There is no requirement for it to be printed on heavy stock paper, but people seem to like that better (from experience in handing them out 3 years ago when I was a Courier).

The card doesn't have the address to send it.... You can either take it into you IBT local (do some research, you can find it), or

IBT

25 Louisiana Ave. NW

Washington DC 20001

Their phone number is 202 624 6911

Might as well call them up (EVERYONE) and create some havoc at IBT HQ. If they get a couple of hundred phone calls tomorrow in regards to Express Couriers, they might just get off their asses and decide that there is some life out there in Express (in regards to organizing), and may do something. It may take 1000 calls, but for those still in Express, what in the hell do you have to lose at this point (you are in the process of losing your dignity, don't let it go without a fight).

overflowed

It is a PDF file, one page. I just checked it and the link is still valid (the IBT hasn't given up on the mechanics it seems...)

Don't count on any help from the IBT - they have given up on Express Couriers. You are on you own. It is a hell of a situation to be in, but there isn't any other way to put it.

You can put this file on a stick and take it into any copy shop and they can open the PDF -and print out as many "cards" as you want. There is no requirement for it to be printed on heavy stock paper, but people seem to like that better (from experience in handing them out 3 years ago when I was a Courier).

The card doesn't have the address to send it.... You can either take it into you IBT local (do some research, you can find it), or

IBT

25 Louisiana Ave. NW

Washington DC 20001

Might as well call them up (EVERYONE) and create some havoc at IBT HQ. If they get a couple of hundred phone calls tomorrow in regards to Express Couriers, they might just get off their asses and decide that there is some life out there in Express (in regards to organizing), and may do something. It may take 1000 calls, but for those still in Express, what in the hell do you have to lose at this point (you are in the process of losing your dignity, don't let it go without a fight).

Thx from Everyone.

XFILED

IBT

25 Louisiana Ave. NW

Washington DC 20001

Thank You!! I appreciate all the info you posted....