Rally today at City Hall for the Maspeth 250

710 steward

atabl

Posting here to only stir the pot serves you nothing. There is no glory. There is no winning. It's to get negative attention and honestly nothing else. These drivers may have made a mistake in the way this was handled but there are management folks who's jobs will be in jeopardy before this ends too. The union and local government appear to be working together to not only reinstate these drivers but fix the working conditions. The only thing UPS understands is money. Wouldn't it be something if the city eliminated the parking ticket exemption? You may have grown disenchanted with the Teamsters but the organization as a whole guarantees you have a job tomorrow and beyond because if you believe they want to keep you as a driver you are mistaken. They don't want any of us. They want a very young group with nothing but turnover. Keep laughing and your search for negative attention. Like it or not you are in this with UPS Teamsters for the long haul.

Steward773

I admire what my brothers did, just not the way they did it. There were more options to choose from to make their point, job abandonment was not one. Good luck to them.

710 steward

atabl

I have been on these boards for every bit of those 7 years as well. I have chosen to read everyone else's thoughts and stay silent. Because others including yourself were posters and I was not does not make me somehow a newbie because I am anything but a newbie. Sometimes taking it all in is the way to go. I have since chosen to break the silence and be more vocal because as a corporation we are at a crossroads with this awful contract and the current work environment.

I did use the word may and do realize that there was a better way to fight this fight. You are mistaken about some things. UPS does employ us and compensate us well. That does not give them the right to harass, coerce, or mistreat employees without just cause and being honest that happens daily. These people have the right to be treated fairly. A fair days pay for a fair days work. If you sit behind a computer screen and have no idea what the job truly in tales then maybe you shouldn't be supervising package car drivers. We both know the vast majority of these people are honest, hard working individuals who are only trying to do the best for their families. They made a emotion based decision and emotion based decisions rarely turn out the way they were intended. Where UPS fails in this saga is they let all of them back in to run their respective routes. If you really want to make a termination stick you pull them out of service immediately. Make them file to work during the grievance process and then deny them their jobs back at panel. That's how you do it. UPS is going to lose this in the court of public opinion and in the courts if they choose to go down that road. Remember they allowed them to their jobs right after. That's powerful.

As far as the parking exemptions, that's on the table. It should be. There are laws against harassment in the workplace. If this or any company chooses to not follow the law then there are penalties. UPS Inc doesn't break laws but their people do. There is a great deal at stake for both sides. This just isn't an hourly issue. When this is all said and done the 250 will be interviewed. If labor laws were not followed and broken UPS Inc will have to then answer for the sins of their management. This isn't black and white.

My final thought for you is this, if you feel you have superior intellect then why personally attack those on this board. If you feel your level of intelligence is beyond the "average" poster then why stoop to personal attacks? One would believe if you are that confident you could make your argument because the only way anyone else could respond is to personally attack you which I have seen they do on this board. If you are truly trying to be what you believe is the correct side of an argument then those "weaker" minded shouldn't matter. Your personal attacks make you look weak and while you may not care, credibility is everything.

Last edited:

IzzyTheNose

"'...we believe there must be adherence to the bargaining agreement by both parties,” UPS spokesman Steve Gaut said in an email.'"

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

710 steward

atabl

We all make decisions at some point in life that we regret. They are usually(and hopefully rare) emotion based or heat of the moment decisions. I guarantee you have one or two of those where you wish you could call a do over or a mulligan. These decisions happened at work in this instance. It is extremely rare or these people would have worked themselves out the door years ago. This isn't about this one event. It's about this event was the straw that broke the camels back.

On to the infraction. There are so many variables here I don't know where to begin. Was he showing up for safety questions and mixed up the day he was supposed report for them. Is UPS being honest about this? Was this an honest mistake and his sup doesn't like him so there's an opening for theft? This is to cut and dry for me as a steward. There is tons more here and we are being told what UPS wants us to know while the union will stay mum until his hearing.

Let's face it these guys are coming back. Most likely without back pay as a lesson learned and the parking ticket threats will end there too. The aftermath will be management lateral moves and 30 day termination notices for those who have seriously compromised the integrity of this company and life goes on.​

Feederquacker

It is always amazing to see how people empathize after something happens that was so clearly the wrong way to handle a situation. Should those drivers have protested the firing of our Union Brother? Hell yea!!! But damn!!!! All they did was create a WAY bigger problem rather than pressuring the Company to reinstate our Brothers job. Anytime emotional and impulsive behavior replaces rational thought, it wall always end badly. I can feel bad these guys and gals are facing termination, even if it will be short lived, but I also have ZERO problem saying that what they did was freakin stupid. Now their Local is going to go into overdrive and overtime to get 251 jobs back instead of just 1. Oh, how those resources could be put to better use. I'll bet that none of them thought of that. Pick your battles. Don't just battle everything.

Sent using BrownCafe App