ralph nader on expectations, the american dream, corporate welfare

rickyb

"75% of so-called new molecular entities with priority rating (the most innovative drugs) trace their existence to NIH funding [the National Institutes of Health], while companies spend more on 'me too' drugs (slight variations of existing ones.)"

rickyb

this is a doozy of an image. you can see how much government is responsible for these modern technologies.

Mariana Mazzucato ‏@MazzucatoM 20h20 hours ago

Apple received LEGAL STATE AID from Uncle Sam (tech in iPhone) & ILLEGAL AID from Ireland http://marianamazzucato.com/the-entrepreneurial-state/ …

CrGdP5HWgAEPBIj.jpg

rickyb

Glad that the sea level hasn't changed in the last 70 years.
some islands are already going underwater and there has already been mass immigration because of climate change which bernie pointed out in his campaign. theres a video on florida cant remember where maybe miami which is already dealing with rising waters.

in my biology book which is old, 400 species per day go extinct because of human activity.

even if this were a lie, is that justification for the trillions in corporate welfare that goes to big oil?

but by all means, keep doing what you were doing the exact same

My neighbors boat burns 40 gallons an hour (twin gas engines). A buddy of mines boat burns 58 gallons an hour (twin diesels) so I am told.

rickyb

listening to the ralph nader radio hour, the guest says big oil gets 70 billion a year in subsidies, nuclear is almost that much. i think he said solar gets 15 billion.

wkmac

some islands are already going underwater and there has already been mass immigration because of climate change which bernie pointed out in his campaign. theres a video on florida cant remember where maybe miami which is already dealing with rising waters.

in my biology book which is old, 400 species per day go extinct because of human activity.

even if this were a lie, is that justification for the trillions in corporate welfare that goes to big oil?

but by all means, keep doing what you were doing the exact same

Google Isostatic Rebound as this plays into both rising and lowering sea levels in various locations all at the same time. NASA posted an article in August 2015 entitled "Glacial Rebound: The Not So Solid Earth" in which the following was stated:

"According to the 23-year record of satellite data from NASA and its partners, the sea level is rising a few millimeters a year -- a fraction of an inch. If you live on the U.S. East Coast, though, your sea level is rising two or three times faster than average. If you live in Scandinavia, it's falling. Residents of China's Yellow River delta are swamped by sea level rise of more than nine inches (25 centimeters) a year."

Since the last ice age concluded and we entered the post glacial warming of the Holocene 11,600 BP (before present) years ago, isostatic robound has been taking place and will continue another 10k years until the earth's crust settles from all the weight of ice from the last ice age. This also assumes we don't re-enter another ice age which ice cores suggest is mostly earth's normal climate and such ice occur on cycles of every 100k years with brief warmings in between where such ice return will once again depress the earth's floating mantle causing sea level collapse between earth crust rising from ice weight to the massive amounts of water stored up in massive continent wide ice sheets. Between stored up water in ice sheet and crustal inflation, sea levels at the end of the last ice age were around 400 plus feet lower than they are today. Some argue that several rapid ice melts known as pulse water releasing could well be some of the sources of ancient flood myths that are told world wide.

The more I read on the subject, the more I conclude that sea levels have never been static nor will be and that there are many factors that comes into play concerning their rise or fall.

P

pickup

relombardo ‏@relombardo3 13h13 hours ago

Walmart Costs Taxpayers $6.2Bill A Year In Public Assistance Like Food Stamps Medicaid&Subsidized Housing By Not Paying Workers Livable Wage

Ct-jAn9WEAAiBq5.jpg

My local Walmart just put in a ton of self checkout machines. Those machines aren't collecting food stamps, Medicaid or having their housing subsidized. The workers they displaced still do but now you can't blame Walmart for that anymore.

rickyb

My local Walmart just put in a ton of self checkout machines. Those machines aren't collecting food stamps, Medicaid or having their housing subsidized. The workers they displaced still do but now you can't blame Walmart for that anymore.
id prefer if they just automated the whole damn thing. it was always an immoral system.

then we can blame capitalism.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can blame them for displacing the affected employees.