Ramifications of UPS Freight picketing UPS Package Facilities?

InsideUPS

I spoke with a UPS Freight driver yesterday about their contract. He informed me that their main issue revolves around UPS subcontracting their work.

This UPS Freight driver further informed me that they plan on picketing UPS package facilities...... in which case we (UPS Package Employees) would contractually be within our rights to honor their pickets. I would be interested in reading your informed input regarding the legalities and ramifications of such actions....

stink219

I spoke with a UPS Freight driver yesterday about their contract. He informed me that their main issue revolves around UPS subcontracting their work.

This UPS Freight driver further informed me that they plan on picketing UPS package facilities...... in which case we (UPS Package Employees) would contractually be within our rights to honor their pickets. I would be interested in reading your informed input regarding the legalities and ramifications of such actions....
Think! Who would be calling the strike?
Only the negotiating committee has authority. Is it a wildcat?

Nimnim

The Nim
​Hope you have a secure parking lot.

If my local doesn't tell me, how would I know? Of course I check this forum, but there's hundreds at my location that don't. If it's an official strike my local should attempt to contact me or send someone to my location to inform people. If they don't then my local either doesn't care, or it's not an official strike, and in such case why should I care?

If I show up to work one day, and there's a line in the parking lot picketing, that's a different story.

We do not have to cross any established picket line per the contract. Obviously I would hope the local business agents would coordinate with each other so everyone is prepared. If we all stand together it should force both the union and company into some sort of movement.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If Freight wants my support then the crabby bastard that drives for them in my area could at least acknowledge my presence when we are at the same stop.

Inthegame

You would not be within your contractual rights. Your contract clearly makes allowances for PRIMARY pickets, which are picket lines at the place of employment of the picketers. UPS FRT employees do not work in UPS ground facilities, therefore any line set up by FRT employees at a ground location would not be primary and not covered in the Master Agreement. You would be protected from delivering to any UPS FRT location manned by a primary line.

If Freight wants my support then the crabby bastard that drives for them in my area could at least acknowledge my presence when we are at the same stop.
Really?? Whenever I pass the ups freight guy I stick my tongue between two fingers and flick it at him and he does the same. You should try this it will build up your relationship.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Really?? Whenever I pass the ups freight guy I stick my tongue between two fingers and flick it at him and he does the same. You should try this it will build up your relationship.
thats a greeting I never heard of. Maybe I'll try it when I get my coffee from DD in the morning.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
You would not be within your contractual rights. Your contract clearly makes allowances for PRIMARY pickets, which are picket lines at the place of employment of the picketers. UPS FRT employees do not work in UPS ground facilities, therefore any line set up by FRT employees at a ground location would not be primary and not covered in the Master Agreement. You would be protected from delivering to any UPS FRT location manned by a primary line.

You are right on the money. Any picketing at a UPS facility by UPS freight employees would be considered informational and is therefore not protected by our contract to be honored. You would not have to cross the line at a freight facility if a strike was going on there.

brown_trousers

No way will I Iet the freight guys hold my paycheck hostage by picketing my hub. it is my personal perspective that UPS freight is a seperate company/entity that just happens to share the same logo as us. I honestly dont think they are being reasonable with their negotiations. The freight industry is really competetive right now, and I dont think UPS Freight is profitable enough on its own to justify what they are asking for in negotiations.

No way will I Iet the freight guys hold my paycheck hostage by picketing my hub. it is my personal perspective that UPS freight is a seperate company/entity that just happens to share the same logo as us. I honestly dont think they are being reasonable with their negotiations. The freight industry is really competetive right now, and I dont think UPS Freight is profitable enough on its own to justify what they are asking for in negotiations.

Say that on your way by. I'm sure they'll understand.

Returntosender

If you think Freight is'nt profitable you need to know. Monsanto seed bins move through UPS Freight. Those GMO seeds are wroth millions of dollars , Monsanto pays UPS a premium to get those seeds to final destination. Once in a while Monsanto packages on the belts within the small package system.

over9five

Staff member
My God, I can't believe we have TEAMSTERS here who will not honor a picket line set up by our brother's who work at the same company we do. That's just BS to say they're not the same UPS that we are.

More Me-sters killing the union.

Im fine with them picketing their own facilities... but if they picket my small package facility I will not show them any respect as I cross the line on my way into my union protected, benefits providing, fair wage, job.

My God, I can't believe we have TEAMSTERS here who will not honor a picket line set up by our brother's who work at the same company we do. That's just BS to say they're not the same UPS that we are.

More Me-sters killing the union.
Yep

:bsbullf: