Ramifications of UPS Freight picketing UPS Package Facilities?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
When we struck in 97 the pilots union backed us 100%, not a single pilot crossed the line and that made a huge difference. You can debate whether or not the strike was worth it but there is no question that the pilots helped us win. Unions are strong when working people stick together and help each other out so I don't need my local to tell me whether or not it's ok to cross a picket line because I already know. If I have any doubts I'll ask the men and women walking the line, their opinion is the one that matters.

stink219

My God, I can't believe we have TEAMSTERS here who will not honor a picket line set up by our brother's who work at the same company we do. That's just BS to say they're not the same UPS that we are.

More Me-sters killing the union.
I don't think that is the issue. Its the fact that their picket line would be in front of our facilities. This is also a non issue. You will never see that happen. They may in fact strike, but it will be in front of their freight facilities. And if that happens, everyone will and should honor that strike.

UPSBOT

When UPS Was Fun
I don't think that is the issue. Its the fact that their picket line would be in front of our facilities. This is also a non issue. You will never see that happen. They may in fact strike, but it will be in front of their freight facilities. And if that happens, everyone will and should honor that strike.

We share a building with freight. We all leave thru the same gates. If freight strikes at the exits can we go across the picket line??????

UPSGUY72

When we struck in 97 the pilots union backed us 100%, not a single pilot crossed the line and that made a huge difference. You can debate whether or not the strike was worth it but there is no question that the pilots helped us win. Unions are strong when working people stick together and help each other out so I don't need my local to tell me whether or not it's ok to cross a picket line because I already know. If I have any doubts I'll ask the men and women walking the line, their opinion is the one that matters.

It made a huge difference ???? How did things turn out after the strike ended ????

UPSGUY72

I spoke with a UPS Freight driver yesterday about their contract. He informed me that their main issue revolves around UPS subcontracting their work.

This UPS Freight driver further informed me that they plan on picketing UPS package facilities...... in which case we (UPS Package Employees) would contractually be within our rights to honor their pickets. I would be interested in reading your informed input regarding the legalities and ramifications of such actions....

So lets see they are going to be picketing at the UPS freight location and every UPS package location ?? There isn't enough people working at freight to pull that off unless they make a picket line from one or two person picket line. at each location.

There one small freight terminal in my area and 3 UPS buildings about 7, 35, and 55 miles from the UPS Freight terminal. I don't see anyone driving 55 miles or 35 to picket they would spending more money for the gas then they would get from the strike fund.

Anyways freight isn't going on strike they know it and UPS knows it a strike isn't going to pan out well for either side. But in the end UPS is going to come out on top. The days of going on strike and then getting what you want are long gone.

over9five

Staff member

That's what I was thinking. We were very lucky the pilots didn't have the Me Me Me attitude we're seeing in this thread.

brown_trousers

Can you? Yes

​Should you? No

If we were to honor their picket line outside our facilities, it would essentially be the same as going on strike ourselves, as we wouldnt be able to even go to work. I would only support that, if we got to vote on it as well. A strike should always be authorized by its members, anything less is unnacceptable to me

Perhaps if we go on strike, we should post a picket line outside of every other unionized business in america.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No way will I Iet the freight guys hold my paycheck hostage by picketing my hub. it is my personal perspective that UPS freight is a seperate company/entity that just happens to share the same logo as us. I honestly dont think they are being reasonable with their negotiations. The freight industry is really competetive right now, and I dont think UPS Freight is profitable enough on its own to justify what they are asking for in negotiations.

If you think Freight is'nt profitable you need to know. Monsanto seed bins move through UPS Freight. Those GMO seeds are wroth millions of dollars , Monsanto pays UPS a premium to get those seeds to final destination. Once in a while Monsanto packages on the belts within the small package system.

One customer does not a business make.

stink219

No way will I Iet the freight guys hold my paycheck hostage by picketing my hub. it is my personal perspective that UPS freight is a seperate company/entity that just happens to share the same logo as us. I honestly dont think they are being reasonable with their negotiations. The freight industry is really competetive right now, and I dont think UPS Freight is profitable enough on its own to justify what they are asking for in negotiations.

If you think Freight is'nt profitable you need to know. Monsanto seed bins move through UPS Freight. Those GMO seeds are wroth millions of dollars , Monsanto pays UPS a premium to get those seeds to final destination. Once in a while Monsanto packages on the belts within the small package system.
That's your proof of profitability? Seeds? All you need is to check freights financial reports for 2011, 2012 and 1st quarter of 2013 and you will read with your own eyes that UPS Freight is losing money.
http://www.investors.ups.com/mobile.view?c=62900&p=irol-newsArticle&id=1554323

brown_trousers

That's your proof of profitability? Seeds? All you need is to check freights financial reports for 2011, 2012 and 1st quarter of 2013 and you will read with your own eyes that UPS Freight is losing money.
United Parcel Service, Inc. - Home

Exactly!... labor unions have been suffering a lot of negative publicity because of irresponsible negotiating. A union should not be negotiating for wages and benefits that exceed their profitability. I would be curious to know how much profit UPS freight really has to negotiate with.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I will support freight and picket with them at their own facilities on my own time. The contract does not cover us for informational or secondary picket lines. There's not a union in the world that would win my job back for me and I'm not a martyr. I will support them as the contract provides. And the pilots wouldn't cross the picket line in '97 because they would have had their asses handed to them at the airport.