Random Cash Tips

brown bomber

brown bomber
prior to my retirement, I had several customers who would tip me on a regular basis. One guy was a "retired" Hells Angels Member...he would get motorcycle parts several times a week, he would give me $5.00 for every delivery if he answered the door,..a few times he would hop in his truck and chase me down if I left before he opened the door, just to give me a tip. He also knew where I took my lunch,..He would occasionally show up on Fridays (lunch with the drivers), and pick up the tab. I had a few others that would tip on each delivery,..most were bar owners, who were getting CD's for the juke box.....I never had a problem accepting any and all compensation

Future

Victory Ride
Pat-Priest_attractive_munster.jpg
I have a lady that gives me a $15 Starbucks card every year and as I get home I hand it to my wife and tell her Merry Christmas from the people at 1313 Mockingbird Lane, as I don't drink coffee.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The folks from my parents generation and older, tipped more IMO. Back in the stone age when I first started driving, many older customers would give a dollar tip. Ten to fifteen dollars a day was not uncommon. We also had to get signatures on everything so we had a lot more customer contact.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I always han

I always hang around a little longer when the "old folks" have a story to tell.

I once got caught on a porch of a real old timer for a half hour. Just plugged in a half hour of lunch and took a seat.

I've done this many times. I love talking to interesting old people. Learned a very important life lesson from an old lady about not putting off things you want to do until you're old.

oldngray

nowhere special
I used to deliver to a retirement community. Low income people who had no place else to go and will be there until they die. Often the only people they could talk to would be the UPS and mailman. Just speaking to them for a minute or doing little extra things for them could make their day. Some would want to tip me and I would say no but would take it if they insisted because it made them feel better.

xtelevisionset

Surprisingly I'm at $79 year to date. Funny thing is my residential is the most economically depressed area in the state. One of the better tippers is in the heart of the ghetto. I don't know if he's a drug dealer or just well off or just generous, but everything I deliver to him is from companies--nothing possibly drugs or anything so no clue why he's so generous. Another guy doesn't appear to have much money, but tips every time I bring him something.

Anyone else get random non-Christmas cash tips during the year? This is the first year I've gotten random tips during the year, granted it's the first year I've had my own route...

My first day driving I got a $20 tip for bringing an old lady's luggage into her house. They were 60 pounds each and there were 7 of them. She also gave me a glass of cold water. Pretty nice.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
My first day driving I got a $20 tip for bringing an old lady's luggage into her house. They were 60 pounds each and there were 7 of them. She also gave me a glass of cold water. Pretty nice.

I forgot, I had one of those, too. This nice old couple sold their condo in Florida and moved up north.....10+ heavy ass boxes into a cramped (not yet unpacked) condo....think I got a 20 for that...covered lunch for the next few days

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I was talking to a neighboring driver yesterday about tips and he said he once had a corporate complaint where the woman said "and I even tip him all the time" which got him suspended for accepting tips. This blew me away. Has anyone else ever heard of discipline for accepting small tips?

oldngray

nowhere special
There is nothing in the contract that says you can't accept tips. You can't try to charge extra on the side but if someone wants to give you something then you are allowed to take it.

Tiny Panda

I've a customer who i go far out of my way for as they give me $100 at Christmas, they ask me to do their collection last thing some days which means i have to travel across town but they regularly give me $30 for doing so.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Rule of thumb....the more you do extra for a customer, the more likely they won't tip. My best tippers are the ones who rarely ask for any favors.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Since i have mainly a residential route, it took everyone about ten years to remember my name and 20 years to get a tip. I average about 2 to 3 hundred and not from pickup accounts. Homemade goodies and a card is a nice thought and i do appreciate it, but the greedy overworked side of me says throw gift card or preferably some green in there please. I stopped hoping for something from the houses i go to everyday almost, its funny that nothing comes from them in that 600000 dollar home. Guess thats why that 25 year old doctor or retired corporate couple owns that house. Some of those unopened boxes of candy (except for Sees chocolate) are nice to regift or pass along . Merry Xmas!