Random Christmas things

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
525482_296452500455912_1595914938_n.jpg

My favorite is the young man who wants to be a dentist.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Toast your guests with this Inuit proverb: " May you have warmth in your igloo, oil in your lamp and peace in your heart."

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Arrow through the head" Steve Martin was my prime time stuff.

As a young married, we watched SNL when it had the real stars.......Chevy, John Belushi, Dan A., Bill Murray, Gilda, Jane, Laraie and Garrett.

That's when it was good!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Speaking of Gilda--the folks that run her charity recently changed the name because they felt that no one would know who Gilda was. It has been 23 years since her death.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Speaking of Gilda--the folks that run her charity recently changed the name because they felt that no one would know who Gilda was. It has been 23 years since her death.
Changing the name should re-route the funding. I think Gilda's Club was founded by her cancer psychotherapist ,and husband, Gene Wilder.

It's for women and children who are fighting cancer........as she did. So, if the kids of today don't know about this woman, then they need to read about her and learn about her fight.

If I name a charity in honor of my loved one, I would be offended if they tried to change the name. Change the name, get your own funding on your own!

moreluck

golden ticket member
To me it's the same as giving a ton of money to name a college library after someone. The George Barret Jr. Library.

Forty years later, the students don't know who the hell George Barret is, so they rename it the Book Building (the future graduates truly suck in the imagination area). That's criminal to me.

over9five

Staff member
If I name a charity in honor of my loved one, I would be offended if they tried to change the name. Change the name, get your own funding on your own!

But it seems they changed the name in order to INCREASE donations. Isn't the cause more important than the name?

over9five

Staff member
To me it's the same as giving a ton of money to name a college library after someone. The George Barret Jr. Library.

Forty years later, the students don't know who the hell George Barret is, so they rename it the Book Building (the future graduates truly suck in the imagination area). That's criminal to me.

That is a pretty lame new name!

moreluck

golden ticket member
But it seems they changed the name in order to INCREASE donations. Isn't the cause more important than the name?

I think (don't know for sure) that Gilda was fairly wealthy and hubby probably inherited from her too. He probably gave a lot of thought what to do with her money. Starting a charity in her name should be respected !! IMO

What could be more inspiring to a woman fighting cancer than the story of Gilda and her fight. Inspiration is what the name provides!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The charity felt a name change was needed as her name recognition was beginning to fade. As Over said, it's not the name that matters---it is the mission of the charity that matters and if the mission can be continued more effectively by changing the name then by all means change it.