Random Facts

moreluck

golden ticket member
Yams vs. Sweet Potatoes

True yams have rough, scaly skin and often purple or red flesh, can grow up to five feet and are starchier than sweet potatoes. But they're difficult to find in American supermarkets. There, you'll actually discover that one variety of sweet potatoes has been labeled 'yams'.
The USDA allows orange-fleshed sweet potatoes to be called yams to differentiate them from white fleshed sweet potatoes.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Pasta vs. Noodles
Pasta, made from a stiff dough of durum wheat and water, has a stronger, more elastic texture than do noodles and is usually dressed with sauce.
Noodles, on the other hand, are typically made from a soft paste of eggs, flour and salt and served in a broth.

moreluck

golden ticket member

I love this... 1939, Kansas Wheat ~ When they realized women were using their sacks to make clothes for their children, the mills started using flowered fabric for their sacks so the kids would have pretty clothes ~ Pure kindness. The mill label washed out.

moreluck

golden ticket member
nectarines vs. peaches
They are nearly genetically identical and can be used interchangeably in cooking. The main difference: Peaches have a dominant variant of a gene that gives them soft fuzzy skin. Nectarines express a recessive gene that results in fuzz-free, smooth skin; they also tend to be smaller and firmer than peaches. Both grow in white and yellow varieties.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The last job I had, I had to wear this badge around my neck all day -- like, a laminated badge. Its like a backstage pass to the crappiest concert ever invented.

moreluck

golden ticket member
New Supercuts opened in our area. We went to Supercuts and were the first ones there. We both got a free haircut with our coupon mailout. We had to use it before the end of May. We parked, walked to the door and waited about 15 mins and then they opened. Bob said a guy who was waiting in his car, then walked in behind us. The parking lot is big and a person can't just sit in his car and expect anyone to know what he is waiting for. There is a cleaners, beauty supply, nail salon and other businesses there. What a dope! Snooze you lose.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

New Supercuts opened in our area. We went to Supercuts and were the first ones there. We both got a free haircut with our coupon mailout. We had to use it before the end of May. We parked, walked to the door and waited about 15 mins and then they opened. Bob said a guy who was waiting in his car, then walked in behind us. The parking lot is big and a person can't just sit in his car and expect anyone to know what he is waiting for. There is a cleaners, beauty supply, nail salon and other businesses there. What a dope! Snooze you lose.

You remind me of the people who are sitting outside of Gamestop, Verizon Wireless and Vision Works every morning when I make my deliveries. I love the look on their faces when I lay on the horn and the employees unlock the door(s) for me only to tell those who were patiently waiting that they would need to continue doing so.

moreluck

golden ticket member
You remind me of the people who are sitting outside of Gamestop, Verizon Wireless and Vision Works every morning when I make my deliveries. I love the look on their faces when I lay on the horn and the employees unlock the door(s) for me only to tell those who were patiently waiting that they would need to continue doing so.
I would rather be early & wait in the rain by myself than behind people. First is the best!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
d3b2b116054969dc4f6427fe6cc7a9b2.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
The most dangerous states for driving
Despite gripes about New York and Washington, D.C. drivers, those on the road in the Northeast actually have some of the lowest hazard rates in the country: New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and D.C. have the lowest traffic death rates in the country. The states with the highest death rate per capita are Wyoming, Mississippi, Montana, New Mexico, and North Dakota, respectively

moreluck

golden ticket member
The sound that conjures up my childhood best is........

Cards shuffling and dice rolling brings back memories of huge family get-togethers.

Us slamming doors and dad yelling, "Stop slamming the door!"

Pots & pans banging in the kitchen...it reminds me of mom cooking.

Church bells.

Cows mooing....my cousin and I would spend hours listening to the cows talk to each other.

A whirring fan. That sound would put me to sleep on a warm afternoon.

Playing cards in my bicycle spokes.

A straw sucking up that last bit of chocolate milk.