Rant: Drivers refusing to do their jobs!

brown_trousers

This little rant is about drivers that refuse to do their jobs correctly. Every center has them and their self absorbed and narcissist behavior only ends up screwing other drivers and the customers. My two main beefs are when they refuse to take NIs to the offices at apartment complexes and refusing to scan their misloads.

So, refusing to take NIs to the office is the worst. If an apartment complex usually averages 15 stops and one of these guys runs the route then the rest of us can expect to have close to 30 stops the next day! That's potentialy double the amount of trips we could have to make up and down flights off stairs and also double what we will have to carry or cart into the office.

The problem is the lack of solid rules on such deliveries. I cant recall any "official" training spelling out apartment delivery methods, and one on-road sup actually trained me to just attempt at the specific apartment, not the office. I personally rarely have an apartment stop. But until I recieve official training I consider it to be at my best discretion

MethodsMan

No greater feeling than sheeting up 20 apartment packages as 'left at' intending on taking them to the office and then getting to the apt office only to find out that the manager is away for a couple hours.

Golden.

Overpaid Union Thug

This little rant is about drivers that refuse to do their jobs correctly. Every center has them and their self absorbed and narcissist behavior only ends up screwing other drivers and the customers. My two main beefs are when they refuse to take NIs to the offices at apartment complexes and refusing to scan their misloads.

So, refusing to take NIs to the office is the worst. If an apartment complex usually averages 15 stops and one of these guys runs the route then the rest of us can expect to have close to 30 stops the next day! That's potentialy double the amount of trips we could have to make up and down flights off stairs and also double what we will have to carry or cart into the office.

The problem is the lack of solid rules on such deliveries. I cant recall any "official" training spelling out apartment delivery methods, and one on-road sup actually trained me to just attempt at the specific apartment, not the office. I personally rarely have an apartment stop. But until I recieve official training I consider it to be at my best discretion

I was trained (via diad training and supervisors) to leave NIs at the office. Many of our apt complexes offices know about it and do expect it. Some (not many) have us bring them straight to the office. Those rock!

barnyard

KTM rider
Some (not many) have us bring them straight to the office. Those rock!

We have 1 HUGE complex that demands we not ring individual apartments. The manager told me, "The residents here pay for me to take care of them, that includes getting their deliveries and making sure that they receive them when they are awake and want to receive them."

I wanted to hug that woman.

browniehound

. Thanks ARSE HOLES! And what is their lame excuse for not taking theirs to the office? Usually "I don't get time for that." Seriously? What? Who cares!!! You get paid (very well) by the hour! And I'm sure the customers really care whether or not a driver feels that they are getting an adequate time allowance to deliver their package. It just is an excuse. Plain and simple.

!
Exactly. You get paid by the hour so you shouldn't care if the driver goes to the office or not. Like you said you get paid by the hour so the other driver is actually doing you a favor by not going to the office because its more money in your pocket. you should write him a thank you note.

iowa boy

I was trained (via diad training and supervisors) to leave NIs at the office. Many of our apt complexes offices know about it and do expect it. Some (not many) have us bring them straight to the office. Those rock!

Where I'm at we have apt complexes that won't take the package if the consignee is not home unless they are specifically asked by the receiver. There are complexes around here where they won't sign for anything. Been told by those that it isn't their problem if the receiver isn't home and they don't want the liability of signing for the package. We also have at least one that I know of where you have to be buzzed in to the office, and there are times when the manager or secretary are in the bathroom, so guess what, NI1 and come back tomorrow.

I went to a complex last week that wouldn't give out an apt number to me as the label didn't have the apt number on it, (I even showed the manager the box,) I was told it is a violation of the apt. renters right to privacy. I told her they gave up that right to privacy when they ordered something and expected to have it delivered to their apt. She didn't like that too well, so I said "okay be back tomorrow" and sheeted it accordingly.

So all of us cover guys aren't lazy, our hands may be tied by the management of the apartment complex.

Overpaid Union Thug

. Thanks ARSE HOLES! And what is their lame excuse for not taking theirs to the office? Usually "I don't get time for that." Seriously? What? Who cares!!! You get paid (very well) by the hour! And I'm sure the customers really care whether or not a driver feels that they are getting an adequate time allowance to deliver their package. It just is an excuse. Plain and simple.

!
Exactly. You get paid by the hour so you shouldn't care if the driver goes to the office or not. Like you said you get paid by the hour so the other driver is actually doing you a favor by not going to the office because its more money in your pocket. you should write him a thank you note.

Sounds like you MIGHT be one of the drivers I've described. This was clearly a topic about drivers not doing their jobs. Not a topic about all of the different ways drivers can get additional hours. And what makes you think I want additional hours? I don't. Especially when its the result of someone else's laziness.

Last edited:

didyousheetit

Where I'm at we have apt complexes that won't take the package if the consignee is not home unless they are specifically asked by the receiver. There are complexes around here where they won't sign for anything. Been told by those that it isn't their problem if the receiver isn't home and they don't want the liability of signing for the package. We also have at least one that I know of where you have to be buzzed in to the office, and there are times when the manager or secretary are in the bathroom, so guess what, NI1 and come back tomorrow.

I went to a complex last week that wouldn't give out an apt number to me as the label didn't have the apt number on it, (I even showed the manager the box,) I was told it is a violation of the apt. renters right to privacy. I told her they gave up that right to privacy when they ordered something and expected to have it delivered to their apt. She didn't like that too well, so I said "okay be back tomorrow" and sheeted it accordingly.

So all of us cover guys aren't lazy, our hands may be tied by the management of the apartment complex.
Why confront manager over lack of apt. number not her problem. Sheet as need apt. let ups charge $10 for address correction.

BrownArmy

So, refusing to take NIs to the office is the worst...Everyone else......get bent!

NI's to the office isn't the worst...

I covered a route today for a driver who's on vacation:

Here's what said driver left me with, aside from a truck with an empty gas tank:

Four oversize pkgs for the 'kids' center' behind the school - you have to drive past and around the school, through two one-way streets, to get to the back door...it's a drag, not doubt, but...

I show up today, they ask me 'where were you on Friday?' LOL. (sheeted as NI1, 14:30...seriously?)

Package for the Senior ctr. office...(sheeted as NI1, no time, really? they're open till 5pm and you drove past the stop at least four times...)

(The dentist's offices were actually closed).

The apartment building complex (21/22 floors, three separate buildings, no DR) were definitely open...out of 20 separate stops, nobody was home? (NI1...etc...)

I could go on...

Look dude, I know you're going on vaca, but I don't need to get effed by management AND you!

Are we on the same team here?

iruhnman630

Why confront manager over lack of apt. number not her problem. Sheet as need apt. let ups charge $10 for address correction.
This. Correct and sufficient address information that allows for delivery without having to hunt the person down is the shipper and recievers' responsibility, nobody else's.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Some drivers are just lazy and have a crappy work ethic. Its everywhere today in society. Do you want to be average and mediocre in life or above average, that's what people have to ask themselves. A lot of people would be just content on only doing the minimum they have to do in life. I see it all the time in todays society and just shake my head and laugh. I don't want to be one of them people that looks back on their life when they get older and know they underachieved because they were lazy, weren't mentally strong, and didn't have the intestinal fortitude to keep going when they were pushed to the brink mentally and physically of their comfort level. You cant teach a tremendous work ethic and the drive to do extra if you have to, to get the task at hand done correctly and responsibly. Last time I checked your not going to die putting a little extra work in. Some drivers lack commonsense and intelligence to solve problems. If that person cant solve problems and situations that pop up on this job then they will be just ordinary drivers with an ordinary lackadaisical(lacking enthusiasm and determination,carelessly lazy) work ethic.

Squint

No more work for me!
When I was a tot, single digits in age, my mother asked me to clean the garage. I spent the better part of a Saturday cleaning and rearranging everything in the garage. When I got done I went and got my Mom to show her what I had done. The look on her face was unbelievable! I had never seen my Mom so excited about much but this cleaning of the garage really hit home with me. It instilled gratification in that I provided a service that was truly unexpected. I felt good about that and have lived my life accordingly. I always finish the job to the best of my ability no matter what the task is at hand.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Exactly amigo know the feeling. No silver spoon here, no way no how. A dogfight to survive every day, you learn from your determination and perserverance. You don't understand the lesson being tought when your young but when you graduate to adulthood you learn n master the lesson. Funny how it works.

browniehound

Sounds like you MIGHT be one of the drivers I've described. This was clearly a topic about drivers not doing their jobs. Not a topic about all of the different ways drivers can get additional hours. And what makes you think I want additional hours? I don't. Especially when its the result of someone else's laziness.
Well maybe that driver doesn't want any additional hours and he did his job my going to the apt. There is nothing anywhere that says he has to make the extra effort and go to the office. Like you said yourself you get paid by the hour it shouldn't matter for you

Overpaid Union Thug

Well maybe that driver doesn't want any additional hours and he did his job my going to the apt. There is nothing anywhere that says he has to make the extra effort and go to the office. Like you said yourself you get paid by the hour it shouldn't matter for you

My last statement still stands. Only without the "MIGHT".

With Orion, we don't run misroutes in our center. The Sup comes and gets it and takes it to the driver. However, it still can add some miles if the driver has to go to the part of his route that was already ran.