rather drive a feeder

Nockahate9

Is there a different route I need to take to drive a feeder truck. I would rather drive that than a package car. Just figured I would check some responses before I asked something at work.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I hope you are in a location where there are lots of feeder runs like a large hub. In a small hub or center that wait time for feeders might be 20 plus years.

Listen to what everyone says with a grain of salt!

blaeux35

like the above post said, hopefully you are in a large hub. If this is the case, just sign every feeder intent list they come out with(these may be scarce with the economy being crappy ie nobody retiring)

brownrodster

Is there a different route I need to take to drive a feeder truck. I would rather drive that than a package car. Just figured I would check some responses before I asked something at work.

depends on where you are at. In my kneck of the woods feeder positions open up for the highest seniority full time employee who wants it. If no full time employee wants the job then the senior part time employee who wants it gets it. If no PT employee wants it then they can hire off the street. That being said there are very many high seniority full time employees who are waiting patiently to become feeder drivers. There is no fast track. You simply have to wait your turn.

diesel96

Yeah....and I would rather drive that NASCAR #44.....I have a lot of experience going to Daytona. Just thought I might check some responses before I asked the crew chief.....:wink2:

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
You need to find out when your building posts its feeder school intent list. My building does it every January. Might be different where you are. All you can do is sign it and wait your turn. Some buildings it could take you a couple of years or some it could take you 15 or more years. Feeders is great. Package car is not worth being involved with. Go to your HR department and find out when your building posts the list. Do it soon.

Bryishre

ktm atv racer
There is one catch to feeders. You have to know your stuff inside and out. If not you will not make it. Over half of the people in my building does not make it because they didnt study or did not listen to what the instructors had say. Im glad i made it. This was my first peak over in feeders. To me it was like vaction now its over. Now back to work.

Anyone can drive a feeder--- be a REAL MAN and drive a package car:peaceful:

You`d be surprised how many "real men" crap their pants when they transfer to feeder and hit their first patch of ice with a set of doubles. Anyone can drive something that doesn`t bend in the middle.:happy-very:

As far as Nockahate9, pay your dues in package car. The skills you learn their will make you a better feeder driver when your time comes. Plus you`ll get more respect.

A

anonymous6

You`d be surprised how many "real men" crap their pants when they transfer to feeder and hit their first patch of ice with a set of doubles. Anyone can drive something that doesn`t bend in the middle.:happy-very:

As far as Nockahate9, pay your dues in package car. The skills you learn their will make you a better feeder driver when your time comes. Plus you`ll get more respect.

Ya, we had two sets roll over in one week in snow storms recently. fortunately both drivers just had some bruises.

feeder has it's plus and minuse just like every job. feeder drivers coming over from package usually gain 20-30 pounds in their first year, ha ha.

feeder drivers have to work strange hrs, have higher divorce rate. our dept has 70 % divorce so wives make out like bandits. higher stress and blood pressure. life expectancy is about three years less because of night hrs.

however, less wear and tear on body.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
When I was in package it only took me twenty minutes to drive to work.

The closest building that would take me for feeder was almost an hour and a half from my house. After a night of driving I would sometimes have to pull my car over and take a power nap in order to make it home. Than, if they were maxing me out on hours I would be lucky if I got five hours a sleep before I started the whole process again the next day.

For me it was worth it. Luckily, I have since transferred to a building that is closer to my house.

So, if you are willing to travel, you may be able to cut the amount of time you have to wait to get called up.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!

well said !!!!

rushfan

All well said. This was my 2nd vacation from package. It just doesn't feel right to come in after a night's run, and see the stressed package drivers....

The real fun comes when you have to pull a "turnpike double" (twin 45's) through traffic making sure you don't pinch them in the middle.

East of us, there is a center where the package drivers didn't want any feeder positions. So they went to the part-timers. Imagine, working part-time for 3 months and getting a feeder position. Even so, few part-timers took the job. So many were hired off the street (they haven't even lifted a package). They have the best feeder schedules IMHO in the nation. They start at 6:30 am and end around 4:00 to 5:30 pm. One problem, they all fight, and don't get along.

Big Babooba

That's just extraneous events talking, Big. Give it time.
No Dill, Peak was handled stupidly at our center this year. They used to always take work off of me to keep me at 120 stops max in a 700. This year they kept me at an average of 160 stops and gave me a helper. They tried to jam my route into a 57 and realized it was too small. The center manager is giving me **** about not utilizing a helper properly. When I am averaging a stop every mile, how do I use a helper properly? Give him 4 stops and pick him up an hour later?(assuming that he can walk 4 miles in an hour.) I had him running the packages off and it didn't save me much time. I can deal with hard work and bad weather, I'm used to that. Some decisions made no sense at all. Maybe on paper they did, but not in reality. Maybe next year Christmas won't sneak up on them.