Re-Certifications_DOT Medical Certificates

Discussion in 'UPS Freight' started by NikDiesel, Feb 7, 2010.

1. NikDiesel

NikDiesel Inmate #STO142-034

This question pertains to: UPS Package Bargaining Unit Members...

FMCSA requirements do not address nor grant exclusive permissions to an employer:

The DOT Medical Exam and CMV Certification

My understanding is that the only reason that the company prefers the use of their own company doctor is to simplify their documentation retention process...

UPS utilizes a 3rd. party documentation retention company for: long form DOT information (only) while UPS only retains a copy of Our valid medical certificates.

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

It is much easier to go to a UPS approved medical provider for your DOT but it is not required. I went to a local walk in clinic on a Saturday for mine. I had stopped in during the week to see if they did DOT physicals and if I could come on a Saturday to have it done and they replied yes on both counts. Turns out they were short staffed on that Saturday and my physical was a pain in the butt for them. I then proceeded to get a bill from them for the physical which I simply handed to my HR person who then stressed the importance of going to a UPS approved medical provider. Do yourself a favor-- go to the clinic they tell you to go to.

3. rod

rod retired and happy

pain in the butt? I think you need to keep an eye on that Dr.---------------------------after re-reading your post mayby that clinic should keep their eye on you.:happy2:

4. UpstateNYUPSer

Whatever.

5. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

He likes that part.[video=youtube;tBsIcRZBh3A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBsIcRZBh3A[/video]

6. Bubblehead

Stick with "whatever".
    If you hit us with a "yawn", I'll be worried.

7. NikDiesel

I too went to My own personal doctor...

Although, with that decision, I did not expect the company to foot the bill...

This is Our plight:

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Company believes this sentence binds Us into using their company approved doctor or clinic exclusively...[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]I believe otherwise...[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]That the sentence is referring to: Applicants & New Hires (in paragraph one)[/FONT][/FONT]

8. NikDiesel

I'm not particularly concerned with challenging Our language as it is written (above) - I just figured I would show all of You what We are dealing with... and why I was asking...

Can any more of You confirm this statement though?

Are You all allowed to go to < any > doctor for Your DOT re-Certs...

If so... do You take paperwork supplied from the company: DOT long form, Billing information etc...

Or, do You provide it Yourself or does Your doctor of choice usually have their own and You submit to the company what You have or have been provided?

9. UpstateNYUPSer

If you had bothered to read my post in its entirety you would have seen that I did answer your question(s). Instead you chose to selectively quote me.

Go to the doctor that they tell you to go to.

10. NikDiesel

Why?

Out of convenience... and for whom... company or employee?

Where is the selective quote in My follow-up?

irrelevant:
    I went to a local walk in clinic on a Saturday for mine. I had stopped in during the week to see if they did DOT physicals and if I could come on a Saturday to have it done and they replied yes on both counts. Turns out they were short staffed on that Saturday and my physical was a pain in the butt for them.

I saw a significant contradiction in Your response... yet, I didn't throw You under the bus for Your cordial participation in this inquiry... I didn't think this was that kinda site... and I guess I expected otherwise!

Are You retracting the requirement, as suggested in part one of Your reply?

If so... then thank-you for the clarification!

11. Bubblehead

I see that you're new here.
    Upstate often comes off jerky like that.
    He's a know-it-all.
    Most people are very cordial here.
    Pay him no mind, or slap him around a bit.
    Either way, welcome to the Brown Cafe.

12. NikDiesel

13. rod

rod retired and happy

:rofl:

14. pickup

pickup Well-Known Member

I think there would be a few good reasons for them to want you to go to their doctor. You named one of them: document retention. Another good reason is that they already have an account with that doctor, billing is probably a lot easier than for them having to pay a doctor that they don't have an established relationship with.
    Another good reason is that the doctor essentially works for them and knows where his bread is buttered. ( That might be a good reason not to go to their doctor). If you have a legitimate medical issue such as a hearing loss, he will be sure to report it as such. A doctor that you chose may not even bother checking such things or will overlook it (especially , if you used your network of truck driving friends, which allowed you to find out about such a doctor that doesn't do such a thorough exam).

Another final good reason is that the medical doctor/center that ups wants to send you to probably is charging a low fee per physical because of the volume that ups sends them. It is very possible that the bill you submit for the physical you had with another doctor might be higher than the fee they would have paid had you gone to their doctor.

15. UpstateNYUPSer

The joke here is a retiree who has been unable to move on.

16. NikDiesel

Thank-You for Your reply!

I understand the reasons behind their preference...

The < preference > is what I am questioning... since it is to a point where as it is now an implied expectation and or requirement, based on company interpretation of contract language...

17. NikDiesel

Both of Our contracts have similar language:

Perhaps I should have added a poll to this thread, asking this same question...

18. TheKid

TheKid Well-Known Member

You are right NY. It is just easier to go where they say. They get paid...we get paid....the Dr. has all the forms...everyone is happy.