Re-Classifying Couriers as Non-DOT

MAKAVELI

In that case, if I say you molest little boys and you can't prove you don't, then I'm right. Right?

While we're at it, none of the smokers I've known have died early deaths from smoking-related illnesses. I guess smoking is healthy.
The more you post the only thing you prove is that you're a major *****

Last edited by a moderator:

vantexan

It may mean if you go over 14 hrs they don't have to worry about fines, but I doubt it means you'll work 16 hr days all week. Tired couriers are more likely to get in accidents which would expose FedEx to huge lawsuits. It's much more likely it's about saving money with physicals. I have to jump through hoops every year with my stent and diabetes. It has never affected my work, and I take my meds anyways, so I'd love to be non-DOT. The careers page at FedEx.com lists some non-DOT courier jobs.
Just checked the fedex.com site and there are a lot more non-DOT jobs posted than when I posted the above.

Rhoderunner

Our station had a DOT workshop meeting this AM. About 25 invited and told we would be reclassified Non-DOT. Usual info about saving dollars for physicals and so forth. Everyone driving econolines and sprinters will be changed eventually. Station goal is a 50/50 split of DOT and Non. The Isuzu and W700 will require DOT drivers. We were told the only change, as far as hours of service goes, is that a 7 day work week is permitted for non-DOT drivers. (lookout for mandatory Sundays) No day off required for non-DOT. All other hours of service rules still apply as they are mandated by FedEx. (for now, IMO) Guys this isn't coming soon, it's happening now. This group of 25 were told the paperwork will be done by weeks end.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Our station had a DOT workshop meeting this AM. About 25 invited and told we would be reclassified Non-DOT. Usual info about saving dollars for physicals and so forth. Everyone driving econolines and sprinters will be changed eventually. Station goal is a 50/50 split of DOT and Non. The Isuzu and W700 will require DOT drivers. We were told the only change, as far as hours of service goes, is that a 7 day work week is permitted for non-DOT drivers. (lookout for mandatory Sundays) No day off required for non-DOT. All other hours of service rules still apply as they are mandated by FedEx. (for now, IMO) Guys this isn't coming soon, it's happening now. This group of 25 were told the paperwork will be done by weeks end.

Glad my state has a "Day of Rest Statute".

My mgr and I were just talking about this yesterday. They aren't happy about it because as he pointed out, what happens if a non-DOT courier's Sprinter is taken out of service and only truck available is a 700? Musical trucks?

Or if a non-DOT courier wants to transfer and new position is a DOT position. He thinks it will limit transferring.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Glad my state has a "Day of Rest Statute".

My mgr and I were just talking about this yesterday. They aren't happy about it because as he pointed out, what happens if a non-DOT courier's Sprinter is taken out of service and only truck available is a 700? Musical trucks?

Or if a non-DOT courier wants to transfer and new position is a DOT position. He thinks it will limit transferring.

Great point. Watch for the days that the non-DOT courier is in a 700 to be conveniently ignored and/or falsified to show them driving a Nissan, Econoline, or Sprinter.

STFXG

Great point. Watch for the days that the non-DOT courier is in a 700 to be conveniently ignored and/or falsified to show them driving a Nissan, Econoline, or Sprinter.
Why? When they are moving to a part time workforce the hours of service regulations won't really matter... right? So what would be the point in falsifying records? How often do you go out and work more than 70 hours in a 7 day period? Does that happen often?

M I Indy

Why? When they are moving to a part time workforce the hours of service regulations won't really matter... right? So what would be the point in falsifying records? How often do you go out and work more than 70 hours in a 7 day period? Does that happen often?

My guess is two words: Operational needs.