Re-Classifying Couriers as Non-DOT

vantexan

Glad my state has a "Day of Rest Statute".

My mgr and I were just talking about this yesterday. They aren't happy about it because as he pointed out, what happens if a non-DOT courier's Sprinter is taken out of service and only truck available is a 700? Musical trucks?

Or if a non-DOT courier wants to transfer and new position is a DOT position. He thinks it will limit transferring.
My wife wants us to move to Kansas as soon as eligible. Since I don't want to jump through hoops with the physicals it may make it tough to transfer because I can't imagine most couriers choosing DOT over non-DOT, unless it paid noticeably more. I may just have to stay here in paradise.

vantexan

Our station had a DOT workshop meeting this AM. About 25 invited and told we would be reclassified Non-DOT. Usual info about saving dollars for physicals and so forth. Everyone driving econolines and sprinters will be changed eventually. Station goal is a 50/50 split of DOT and Non. The Isuzu and W700 will require DOT drivers. We were told the only change, as far as hours of service goes, is that a 7 day work week is permitted for non-DOT drivers. (lookout for mandatory Sundays) No day off required for non-DOT. All other hours of service rules still apply as they are mandated by FedEx. (for now, IMO) Guys this isn't coming soon, it's happening now. This group of 25 were told the paperwork will be done by weeks end.
I guess it would vary by station, but in my last few stations most vehicles were Sprinters with a few Econolines and very few 700's. Bigger cities with high volume and condensed routes might be different.

Rhoderunner

My mgr and I were just talking about this yesterday. They aren't happy about it because as he pointed out, what happens if a non-DOT courier's Sprinter is taken out of service and only truck available is a 700? Musical trucks?

Or if a non-DOT courier wants to transfer and new position is a DOT position. He thinks it will limit transferring.

We were told that bidding for new routes with a DOT truck or if the route you were on now were to see a increase in volume, say a bulk shipper that required a 700, a non-dot driver could be reinstated as DOT very easily.
A curious side note, if you have a medical condition on your DOT card now, diabetes/hypertension/apnea, you may still need a physical as a non DOT driver. That was to be communicated on a individual bias as needed.
Finally, the station mix of DOT and non doesn't necessarily match the vehicle split. There will be more DOT drivers than number of DOT vehicles for flexibility. IMO floaters likely stay DOT.