Re: Missort posts

GayOfThrones

Hey all,

I'm a recently promoted supervisor and in the area I run, I post everyone's SEAS numbers for the previous day. I was approached by an employee who claimed that this was against the Union's rules. I'm on here to ask if that's the case. Not trying to bust anyone's chops, it's just that one of the many aspects of my job is reviewing everyone's numbers. Many times I will do this, and my boss will come to "verify" I've done it, only to find the employee I reviewed it with not 5 minutes before has already forgotten and it looks as if I've failed to do my job. This way employees can remind themselves, and to be honest many of them really enjoy being "on top". If it is infact against Union rules can anyone cite the article number. The employee in question was unable to. Many thanks!

GayOfThrones

Harassment would imply that I'm unfairly targeting or singling anyone out. I'm simply posting the numbers for our area. When ever the need arises for me to address missort performance it's always done one on one and in private. Again, my main objective here is to prove/disprove if what was said was true or not, and for that I'd need to read the language on the union ruling that states whether this is banned somehow.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Hey all,

I'm a recently promoted supervisor and in the area I run, I post everyone's SEAS numbers for the previous day. I was approached by an employee who claimed that this was against the Union's rules. I'm on here to ask if that's the case. Not trying to bust anyone's chops, it's just that one of the many aspects of my job is reviewing everyone's numbers. Many times I will do this, and my boss will come to "verify" I've done it, only to find the employee I reviewed it with not 5 minutes before has already forgotten and it looks as if I've failed to do my job. This way employees can remind themselves, and to be honest many of them really enjoy being "on top". If it is infact against Union rules can anyone cite the article number. The employee in question was unable to. Many thanks!

Article 10 Section 2 of the Master prohibits you from posting SS#'s and phone numbers.

That is all I recall unless it is a local policy.

Personally, I don't think they should be posted. It is not necessary for everyone in the building to see how everyone else is doing.

Our building just posts the totals for the sort as a whole. Does not post individual employees.

10 point

Hey all,

What is SEAS numbers?

upschuck

Harassment would imply that I'm unfairly targeting or singling anyone out. I'm simply posting the numbers for our area. When ever the need arises for me to address missort performance it's always done one on one and in private. Again, my main objective here is to prove/disprove if what was said was true or not, and for that I'd need to read the language on the union ruling that states whether this is banned somehow.
You are trying to intimidate the people lower on the list to move up that list. The people that don't want that list up, you will lose quickly. Pitting people against each other does not promote teamwork.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I believe that you are publicly trying to humiliate people who are slower, for whatever reason, than the others. That wouldn't fly when I was working. If you want people to look at the OR, make it available in your office for any hourly that wants to see it. We had a newly promoted center supe once who gathered his group of drivers for the AM meeting. He handed a driver a beach ball. We asked what was that for and he said that driver "dropped the ball." the day before by running the most over allowed in his group. Public humiliation. We couldn't believe it. The drivers just walked away, shaking their heads. He wondered why nobody would get along with him. They moved him out quickly. Last I heard he was a big shot in Louisville, he just wasn't a people person.

Hey all,

I think you will first change ups. Then you Will change the world. You are the the one.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A few years back, one of the centers in my building decided that they were going to chart and display the drivers over/under and total stops stats on a large whiteboard.
It was posted daily outside the center offices on a brand new fancy easel.
Those who ran under were in black magic marker, those who were over in bright red.

This went on for a couple weeks and was meticulously maintained, the block numbers printed with old world craftsmanship.
The centers management team stood by and over it with great pride, despite the protests of the steward and several of the older drivers.

Just when this whiteboard was really starting to fill up with numbers, exposing the "weak links" of the center, the whiteboard befell an "unfortunate accident".
That fateful evening, as the steward made his way out from another center, he clumsily tripped, toppling the easel and whiteboard.
As he struggled to get back to his feet, rolling around on his back, the multicolored entries were smeared and erased to the point of being illegible.
Sadly, the easel was also irreparably damaged.

Fortunately in the end, nobody was hurt and this experiment and whiteboard was abandoned forever and this center's drivers have since enjoyed an improved degree of "dignity and respect".

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
A few years back, one of the centers in my building decided that they were going to chart and display the drivers over/under and total stops stats on a large whiteboard.
Those who ran under were in black magic marker, those who were over in bright red.

This went on for a couple weeks and was meticulously maintained, the block numbers printed with old world craftsmanship.
The centers management team stood by and over it with great pride, despite the protests of the steward and several of the older drivers.

Just when this whiteboard was really starting to fill up with numbers, exposing the "weak links" of the center, the whiteboard befell an "unfortunate accident".
That fateful evening, as the steward made his way out from another center, he clumsily tripped, toppling the easel and whiteboard.
As he struggled to get back to his feet, rolling around on his back, the multicolored entries were smeared and erased to the point of being illegible.

Fortunately in the end, nobody was hurt and this experiment and whiteboard was abandoned forever and this center's drivers have since enjoyed an improved degree of "dignity and respect".
Is that one of Esops Fables?

Inthegame

Did the black and red magic marker stains wash out of the back of your shirt?

dudebro

Hey all,

He can't, because there isn't one. Good on you for asking instead of blindly believing everything you're told. You can post performance of everyone on a belt, that's work related. Obviously no personal data other than their names should be there. I would want the employees to know which areas or other employees have misloads because if they go to assist with the work in that area, they should know. Maybe the other loaders can help, instead of taking everything negatively and assuming they're being "pitted against each other".

Often, people will tell new sups anything because they figure "the sup is new, he/she will believe anything". To those who'd file a grievance under "harassment", I guess we love that one because asking someone to have a nice day can be "construed" as harassment by some folks. I doubt an arbitrator (if it ever even got that far) would agree.

As for some of the stories of giving people mock prizes for poor performance, I agree, that is totally unprofessional and uncalled for. If I were a driver I would have popped that beach ball with my pen and thrown it in the garbage in front of everyone.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
He can't, because there isn't one. Good on you for asking instead of blindly believing everything you're told. You can post performance of everyone on a belt, that's work related. Obviously no personal data other than their names should be there. I would want the employees to know which areas or other employees have misloads because if they go to assist with the work in that area, they should know. Maybe the other loaders can help, instead of taking everything negatively and assuming they're being "pitted against each other".

Often, people will tell new sups anything because they figure "the sup is new, he/she will believe anything". To those who'd file a grievance under "harassment", I guess we love that one because asking someone to have a nice day can be "construed" as harassment by some folks. I doubt an arbitrator (if it ever even got that far) would agree.

As for some of the stories of giving people mock prizes for poor performance, I agree, that is totally unprofessional and uncalled for. If I were a driver I would have popped that beach ball with my pen and thrown it in the garbage in front of everyone.

I mean, are you asking an hourly to have a nice day or are you "instructing" them to have a nice day.

The line gets blurry.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Hey all,

It falls under Article 37, Sec 1- oversupervision and giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee. Guaranteed a grievance was filed which addressed this exact issue and that is what the steward is relying on. Here, only the posting of employee i.d. numbers is allowed.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Would you say that it would then be fair for your manager to post all your weaknesses on the wall for everyone to see also. That way, in case you were fired, they would know what goals you had not met, such as harassment and humiliation.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
You will be able to do this until ups runs out of paper or does their cutbacks for the year. Like when we only have one box of crayons for 20 people, no slide wax, no totes, or anything to do are job.

dudebro

Would you say that it would then be fair for your manager to post all your weaknesses on the wall for everyone to see also. That way, in case you were fired, they would know what goals you had not met, such as harassment and humiliation.
In my area, they used the "SSPVE" system, and FT management, managers, and division manager posted their metrics in highly visible locations, and their percent effective on each of them. I certainly don't know everyone, but I don't recall a single management person having a problem with it. Better, I would point to it and talk about what we needed to do to fix it. Most of the same things hourly employees are talked to about, are on the supervisor's QPR.

BrownT-beggar

You'll learn; 1day
This is pure intimidation & boarderline harassment, might as well throw over-supervision in there.
Employees should be only told their individual "numbers" in private as well as anything pertaining to performance or discipline. (This was all in your management test but you probably got that question wrong).
- obviously the "top" guys don't mind & enjoy the challenge(ThEIr ON TOP!!)
How 'bout you and your "gang" of "top" boy toys share eachothers numbers amongst yourselves. The rest of us will sit back n watch the show. Cheers