Re: Union dues - Taxes

Overpaid Union Thug

I think the title of the thread could be another topic. For example: the extended centers in my local are indeed paying a tax called union dues to the union hall to supplement the local's cash flow. But then we are all treated as less than second fiddle to the hub on issues that involve the hub and the extended centers. Our own taxes are being used against us.

But like I said. That's another topic. And it has been discussed before. I just couldn't help but think of our dues as being like a tax when I first saw this thread title.

brett636

Don't work related expenses have to exceed some % (I think 7.5% of your income) to be deductible?
And it is only the amount above the 7.5% that is deductible?
Possibly a person could ask their tax person about this?
Same thing with Medical expenses, only the amount above a certain % is deductible?
A person more knowleedgeable than me could make sure if this correct.

You are correct(sorta). Union dues apply to job expenses which have to exceed 2% of your gross income in order to become deductible. I suppose you could get cute and creative with the deductions in this area, but I don't list them because it isn't worth my time. Just not enough in deductions to make a difference.

Last edited:

standtall

You can't hurt my feelings, I left them at home.
You are correct(sorta). Union dues apply to job expenses which have to exceed 2% of your gross income in order to become deductible. I suppose you could get cute and creative with the deductions in this area, but I don't list them because it isn't worth my time. Just not enough in deductions to make a difference.
Boots/shoes, cloths, gloves, dues. Adds up fast. Any and all legal deductions are worth my time. The federal government gets enough of my money, I don't need to donate any more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Boots/shoes, cloths, gloves, dues. Adds up fast. Any and all legal deductions are worth my time. The federal government gets enough of my money, I don't need to donate any more.

Tax software makes this process really easy.

brett636

Tax software makes this process really easy.

Yes it does, but the numbers simply don't add up to me. As I stated you need to exceed the 2% AGI threshold before the first dollar even comes off. For me thats over $2200. I paid $1012 in union dues last year, paid maybe $12 for my gloves, $45 for my shoes, and thats about it. Not to mention the fact that I don't put something on my tax return that I can't backup with a receipt or some other paper document proving it. I don't even come close to benefiting, but the software does let you put in the numbers which for some makes them think they are getting a deduction. If they only knew the truth...

brostalss

Yes it does, but the numbers simply don't add up to me. As I stated you need to exceed the 2% AGI threshold before the first dollar even comes off. For me thats over $2200. I paid $1012 in union dues last year, paid maybe $12 for my gloves, $45 for my shoes, and thats about it. Not to mention the fact that I don't put something on my tax return that I can't backup with a receipt or some other paper document proving it. I don't even come close to benefiting, but the software does let you put in the numbers which for some makes them think they are getting a deduction. If they only knew the truth...

I deliver to an IRS office. The kind where you don't want to goto. (It's the we caught you cheating on your taxes office)

Basically they look out for something unusual. They get the expenses. Shoes, socks, gloves, etc. You just can't make that number too high to where the ask, "really?"

Just give an fair and honest expenses report and you'll be fine.

Don't try and deduct a 60" flatscreen like a maid service did as business related. That didn't fly.