Reaching out for some much needed advice ...facing a permanent termination

Hey guys I'm brand new to this website but in dire need of opinions/advice fellow teamsters across the U.S...A fellow friend suggest I visit this forum.I've been a UPSer for 15 years &currently a package car driver...I'm facing a impending panel hearing to decide the fate of my UPS career &life...Quick overview,a year ago I had DUI charge nullied by the state that I live in,during the course of a few weeks before the state handed down the nullied decision,UPS placed me into the mandatory aftercare program..even though my state found me to be innocent,UPS couldn't remove from the program&this became my 1 strike &you're out card...Well fast forward this past years holiday season,made a bad decision to grab a beer & burger after work,police pulled me over &I was charged with DUI..I've since been fired &awaiting my panel hearing...This would be my first officail DUI but UPS has mantained its stance of it being my second ..My union steward&bussines agent have said that I have a weak case&I suggest that I voluntarily quit on good terms...I don't agree & believe I have legitimate case...need advice,help,insight& a good joke...thanks for your time &advice in advance

NYdriver

If you drive for a living why in the world would you put yourself in that situation to begin with? The first time? The second time?

You just had one beer?? Are you like 65 pounds? Or did you have a bakers dozen?? Didn't you learn from the first one?? You will find that I like my beer but my livleyhood and yours depend on it. You my friend just $ h|+ where you eat for the second time. Best of luck.

DS

Fenderbender
Wow you done got yourself in a pickle of trouble boy.
I'm sure you will get some good(and some heartless) suggestions to your dilemma.
I agree it's worth fighting for.Obtain all documentation of the nullification of DUI#1
You were not on the clock so DUI#2 should be treated as such.I've seen drivers do preload
after getting charged with impaired and at least have an income till the suspension is over.
I hope someone here can help you...407 steward?

Re-Raise

By nullified do you mean you were given court supervision? Or were you actually found innocent of the DUI charge?

P

pickup

Cant hurt to fight it, what ya got to lose..

I suppose that is all you got, Original Poster: can't hurt to fight it.

But you asked for a good joke. Your situation reminds me of this one: What do you tell a woman who has two black eyes? Nothing, she has already been told twice. Okay maybe not so funny But my point is:

You already knew you were on thin ice and you chose to get in the same predicament that you got in last time before it was nullified. What can we tell you? The situation is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I made a mistake which will conceivably haunt me the rest of my life....On to Goochy's suggestion ... I have lawyer &the paperwork stating my nullied decision by the state ...A union where I paid close to $80 dollars a month for dues...I shouldnt feel alone in a case that decides my future...don't know what to do or say...and here I am searching the Internet for help...anyways I guess the union has a lawyer for my panel hearing....

iruhnman630

Definitely sounds like you need a lawyer. Your one out may be they can't fire you as a repeat offender if there is not a first offense according to the law.

But that may not matter if UPS expected you to remain clean and dry after putting you through the treatment program, something you obviously failed to do.

Maybe it is time to move on. Good luck.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I know this hits hard. Its a terrible situation. You really have to fight it. Get the paperwork, hopefully you were found innocent, then it should not matter. You were forced into aftercare, normal, but could not get out of it, once nulled. Not fair, What did you blow, and what is your state limit. here you can work 2 ptimes during suspension, and be randomly tested.
Everyone please, drink at home, tis much more relaxing, and no worries.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Come clean. How many beers and what was the cop's excuse to pull you over? I'll admit I had 4 bottles of High Life at the pub tonight and drove home.

By nullified do you mean you were given court supervision? Or were you actually found innocent of the DUI charge?

The state threw my case out due to negligence on their behalf...wrongfully accused...my head business agent said there is past cases like mine across the U.S ... I don't believe there's a lot cases like mine...just really frustrated...walking away from $30.88 hour isnt a option...so what go good would come of an additional case with my own attorney?

NYdriver

A union where I paid close to $80 dollars a month for dues...I shouldnt feel alone in a case that decides my future...
Obviously the 1st and 2nd DUI was clearly the unions fault...

I hate to sound like a :censored2:, but i enjoy a beer(s) as well. If i had a job where I sat behind a desk, yeah I would have 1 or 2 prior to driving...but being a driver, I will not touch a drink before I drive "just in case".

But hey, im not your father, im not here to lecture you. Do whatever you can to fight it. I just hope you learned your lesson, and as a fellow TEAMSTER i hope everything works out in your favor.

I'm not placing blame on the union.I knew exposing myself & my story in the forum would yield some good / bad ...i appreciate everyone's reponse.Its worth a thread topic with nothing lose but pride &feelings...All I can do is take one day at a time &realize no matter how bad my day is,somebody is having a worse day.