Reaching out for some much needed advice ...facing a permanent termination

hypocrisy

Banned
Yes I made a mistake which will conceivably haunt me the rest of my life....On to Goochy's suggestion ... I have lawyer &the paperwork stating my nullied decision by the state ...A union where I paid close to $80 dollars a month for dues...I shouldnt feel alone in a case that decides my future...don't know what to do or say...and here I am searching the Internet for help...anyways I guess the union has a lawyer for my panel hearing....

You need to see a lawyer specializing in labor law, not your criminal attorney. The Union will not have a lawyer at the panel hearing.

Showing up at panel may not be the best decision...

Re-Raise

I would guess the mandatory aftercare program was supposed to ensure that you wouldn't make the same mistake again. Did you have to sign off on anything during this program?

I am not going to be a hypocrite and pass judgement on you. There have been times in my life I would have probably blown over the limit.

One day I was watching Cops on TV and saw the people trying to beg the cop to give them a break after failing a field sobriety test, and I decided I was never going to put myself in that position. As responsible adults we have to make responsible decisions.

I have no idea if having your previous case thrown out will help you save your job. I feel for you and wish you luck.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The more I hear, the more I am convinced you need to fight it. You have the right attitude, you know you were wrong, no sense in beating a dead horse. I got one that got reduced to a reckless op in 86, before it was popular, and I didnt blow the legal limit, but I did a u turn on a turnpike, duh, I should have been arrested for stupid. Get a lawyer, fight it tooth and nail.

You need to see a lawyer specializing in labor law, not your criminal attorney. The Union will not have a lawyer at the panel hearing.

Showing up at panel may not be the best decision...

Hmm..that definitely makes a lot of sense ..well I have additional financial backing to hire a competent lawyer that specializes in such labor laws..My hearing doesn't take place until March...I appreciate the feedback

menotyou

bella amicizia
I would fight tooth and nail. I don't know what state you are in, but in NY you should hire this guy for your DWI.
New York State DWI DUI DWAI Lawyer
Then, hire a lawyer to come to panel with you. He won't be allowed in, but you can excuse your self and ask advice.
Good luck, to you. We all make mistakes of some kind. I, for one, will not throw stones.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a sales lead ride with our district manager a few years ago and the conversation made it's way to DWI's. He told me that the district had little tolerance for the 1st and zero tolerance for the 2nd. We now have a new DM and he has even less tolerance than his predecessor.

I would definitely fight this but I would do so knowing that I would most likely be fighting a losing battle and would be preparing myself for the next phase in my life.

Come clean. How many beers and what was the cop's excuse to pull you over? I'll admit I had 4 bottles of High Life at the pub tonight and drove home.
I love high life it's one of my go to beers when I'm feeling cheap but I just recently tried another that I haven't had in years P B R. It was good do you like it?? Does anyone else on here like it??? I've got to know.

Hey guys I'm brand new to this website but in dire need of opinions/advice fellow teamsters across the U.S...A fellow friend suggest I visit this forum.I've been a UPSer for 15 years &currently a package car driver...I'm facing a impending panel hearing to decide the fate of my UPS career &life...Quick overview,a year ago I had DUI charge nullied by the state that I live in,during the course of a few weeks before the state handed down the nullied decision,UPS placed me into the mandatory aftercare program..even though my state found me to be innocent,UPS couldn't remove from the program&this became my 1 strike &you're out card...Well fast forward this past years holiday season,made a bad decision to grab a beer & burger after work,police pulled me over &I was charged with DUI..I've since been fired &awaiting my panel hearing...This would be my first officail DUI but UPS has mantained its stance of it being my second ..My union steward&bussines agent have said that I have a weak case&I suggest that I voluntarily quit on good terms...I don't agree & believe I have legitimate case...need advice,help,insight& a good joke...thanks for your time &advice in advance
I would fight it tooth and nail don't resign. Take it to the panel and don't be afraid to have you ba put the case on hold for a month so you can present the best case possible. I would also find and talk to a good lawyer to make sure the documentation is spot on with the nullification. Also if you get your job back I would quit drinking forever.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I love high life it's one of my go to beers when I'm feeling cheap but I just recently tried another that I haven't had in years P B R. It was good do you like it?? Does anyone else on here like it??? I've got to know.

DAMN STRAIGHT !!!! Love the Champagne of Beers !!!

To the OP, you have to realize UPS's point of view !!
You were PULLED OVER twice, and after the first they made you take the substance abuse class. You were spared termination the first time but you should have thought it over before you went behind the wheel again.

My town is basically the DUI capital of my state, where police will pull you over in a heartbeat and throw a DUI charge at you. I use to hit the bars in town and drive home, just stupid and lucky. BUT MOSTLY STUPID. I stopped doing it because my job would be in jeopardy, let alone any other bad things that could happen.

I wish you luck, and you probably should have fought the 1st DUI pull-over with UPS harder before you got hit a second time.

rocket man

Hey guys I'm brand new to this website but in dire need of opinions/advice fellow teamsters across the U.S...A fellow friend suggest I visit this forum.I've been a UPSer for 15 years &currently a package car driver...I'm facing a impending panel hearing to decide the fate of my UPS career &life...Quick overview,a year ago I had DUI charge nullied by the state that I live in,during the course of a few weeks before the state handed down the nullied decision,UPS placed me into the mandatory aftercare program..even though my state found me to be innocent,UPS couldn't remove from the program&this became my 1 strike &you're out card...Well fast forward this past years holiday season,made a bad decision to grab a beer & burger after work,police pulled me over &I was charged with DUI..I've since been fired &awaiting my panel hearing...This would be my first officail DUI but UPS has mantained its stance of it being my second ..My union steward&bussines agent have said that I have a weak case&I suggest that I voluntarily quit on good terms...I don't agree & believe I have legitimate case...need advice,help,insight& a good joke...thanks for your time &advice in advance
I dont belive( any) bussniess agent would tell you to resign. no matter how good or bad he/ or she maybe. . . I wish you luck I hope the union helps you. ID WAIT ON A LAYWER Right now the union is your laywer let them handle it just keep your head up . .

Last edited:

badpal

I never met one i didnt like. I perfer the cheapest available. The last decade have drank milwaukees best.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I'm not placing blame on the union.I knew exposing myself & my story in the forum would yield some good / bad ...i appreciate everyone's reponse.Its worth a thread topic with nothing lose but pride &feelings...All I can do is take one day at a time &realize no matter how bad my day is,somebody is having a worse day.
yah,,like some one who lost a loved one to a drunk driver !!!!

Indecisi0n

I had a sales lead ride with our district manager a few years ago and the conversation made it's way to DWI's. He told me that the district had little tolerance for the 1st and zero tolerance for the 2nd. We now have a new DM and he has even less tolerance than his predecessor.

I would definitely fight this but I would do so knowing that I would most likely be fighting a losing battle and would be preparing myself for the next phase in my life.

Jesus has spoken, fight it.