Read Between the Lines - Update to UPS Contract re: Retiree Healthcare Costs

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Look at their pay rate, compare it to their payrate in the early 80's before the pay rate for new hires was lowered. Virtually all the money in the contracts went to awarding the FT'ers. I get the reason why, in that they are the one that votes. But, they are the lion's share of the employees (granted who don't vote much) and yet they do not get the lion's share (or even their share) of the extra money in each contract.

beentheredonethat covered it very well ... no reason to retype what he posted.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ok I don't see see what's so horrible about retirement insurance costs going up a little bit. Now I'm not saying these guys should just get reamed.

However If you retired at 50 and are living so tight that you can't afford for costs to go up $100-200 a month then guess what you should of never retired. Your living beyond your means.

Also most of these guys that are retired will only have to adjust for a few years until they hit Medicare age. The rest that aren't retired can adjust accordingly.

brown_trousers

Ok I don't see see what's so horrible about retirement insurance costs going up a little bit. Now I'm not saying these guys should just get reamed.

However If you retired at 50 and are living so tight that you can't afford for costs to go up $100-200 a month then guess what you should of never retired. Your living beyond your means.

Also most of these guys that are retired will only have to adjust for a few years until they hit Medicare age. The rest that aren't retired can adjust accordingly.

I think we should take a step back and research into how these older retirees treated us younger employees during previous negotiations. Did they support us when they were negotiating contracts in their days? We should show them the same level of "brotherhood" they showed us.

I've only been here for 2 contracts, so im not quite familiar with previous negotiations. Can anyone shed light on how selfless these retirees were when negotiating the contracts of the past?

anonymous4

Hey Sun Tzu.. When ten to the enemy's one, surround him; When five times his strength, attack him; If double his strength, divide him.

The dividing has been in progress for decades. Next step is to see if there are enough sellouts to vote on two-tier wages.

I'll be the first to pack my bags and never look back despite coming on a decade of busting my ass inside the hub. Ten years waiting on a full-time job and in the last moment get ram-rodded by my own team. Not a chance I can turn my head to such treason by this joke of a brotherhood.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
beentheredonethat covered it very well ... no reason to retype what he posted.

So somehow you are arguing that I am selling out part timers when every contract I have voted for has included the exact same raises per hour for p/t & friend/t? Okaaay....

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I think we should take a step back and research into how these older retirees treated us younger employees during previous negotiations. Did they support us when they were negotiating contracts in their days? We should show them the same level of "brotherhood" they showed us.

I've only been here for 2 contracts, so im not quite familiar with previous negotiations. Can anyone shed light on how selfless these retirees were when negotiating the contracts of the past?

Everything in the Contract today is because of the struggles of those before us. What you should be asking is if it is fair for retirees to be screwed when they cannot vote on this new deal. They retired trusting that their healthcare would remain at the $50/mo rate and planned accordingly, selflessly making room for you to move up. Were it made clear that this could be 'up in the air' many would have delayed retirement as long as possible (I know I will be looking at that myself) which could keep you in Package, keep another in the Hub.

pretender

Look at their pay rate, compare it to their payrate in the early 80's before the pay rate for new hires was lowered. Virtually all the money in the contracts went to awarding the FT'ers. I get the reason why, in that they are the one that votes. But, they are the lion's share of the employees (granted who don't vote much) and yet they do not get the lion's share (or even their share) of the extra money in each contract.

So I, as a full timer, should be concerned about the part timers who don't even bother to vote?

beentheredonethat

They retired trusting that their healthcare would remain at the $50/mo rate and planned accordingly, selflessly making room for you to move up. Were it made clear that this could be 'up in the air' many would have delayed retirement as long as possible (I know I will be looking at that myself) which could keep you in Package, keep another in the Hub.

I love it, oh I was going to keep working but I decided to be selfless and allow another person to move on up to take my job. Really? Really? Maybe there is one or two out there that think that. But people will retire when they can (or think they can). Personally I'll be in the same boat, I'll retire when I think I can. Unfortunatley with 25 years in and minimum of 9 years to get to 55, I assume the way things are going, I'll need to work til at least 60. I have about 8+ years of college to pay for, and when I retire, I don't want to have to work at all or worry about money.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Everything in the Contract today is because of the struggles of those before us. What you should be asking is if it is fair for retirees to be screwed when they cannot vote on this new deal. They retired trusting that their healthcare would remain at the $50/mo rate and planned accordingly, selflessly making room for you to move up. Were it made clear that this could be 'up in the air' many would have delayed retirement as long as possible (I know I will be looking at that myself) which could keep you in Package, keep another in the Hub.

actually from what I have read in other posts is the packet they all got it says in there that costs could go up if certain criteria are made.

tardus

This goes back a ways, but I haven 't forgotten how my full-time brothers went on strike in 1976 in order that the wages and benefits of the part-time employees be equal to the full timers. They realized that in fact this was also to the benefit of full-timers because it would reduce the incentive for the company to turn a massive number of jobs into part-time work. Unfortunately, this contract was undermined with the splt wage for part-timers that was approved in a later contract.

PT Car Washer

This goes back a ways, but I haven 't forgotten how my full-time brothers went on strike in 1976 in order that the wages and benefits of the part-time employees be equal to the full timers. They realized that in fact this was also to the benefit of full-timers because it would reduce the incentive for the company to turn a massive number of jobs into part-time work. Unfortunately, this contract was undermined with the splt wage for part-timers that was approved in a later contract.
And I thought I was old. Thank you for your comment.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

So somehow you are arguing that I am selling out part timers when every contract I have voted for has included the exact same raises per hour for p/t & friend/t? Okaaay....

I was hired in 1973 and I remember this and I also remembered that P/T years prior to '76 counted as friend/T years for pension.
Since I wound up with 40 years and it doesn't matter after 35, it wound up being an empty benefit.

PT Car Washer

I was hired in 1973 and I remember this and I also remembered that P/T years prior to '76 counted as friend/T years for pension.
Since I wound up with 40 years and it doesn't matter after 35, it wound up being an empty benefit.
Tonight is turning into a history lesson. This is good.

pretender

How about the PTers who walked the picket line in 1997. In my building not a single PTer crossed including presenority people. Not many FTers crossed, but some did.

Let me phrase it a little differently: The part timers have the numbers to vote down any contract they don't like--they don't have to depend on anyone looking out for them.

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS sold that split rate in early 1980's by buying the part time vote with bonuses if the contract passed. They were red circled in at a higher rate and didn't care about the long term consequences or that new hires would get the shaft. It was the part timer votes that mostly passed the split rate back then.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I remember in the 80's something called a 401K became available and in the 90's we could start buying company stock. Those who took advantage of these options have no worries about the cost of retiree health care.

InsideUPS

I think it is important to remember that retiree healthcare costs currently varies from Local to Local IF you are not in a company plan. ONLY those retirees in a company plan are potentially being affected. (this may all change with the upcoming contract).

That said....some of you are taking me down "memory lane" and beyond.. (Hoaxster for example 1973). Gone are the days of the 50lb package... the "batmobiles"...sheeting on paper...and our beloved RED and BlUE air labels. NOT GONE are the starting wages for p/t employees which were the same 35 years ago.

InsideUPS

I remember in the 80's something called a 401K became available and in the 90's we could start buying company stock. Those who took advantage of these options have no worries about the cost of retiree health care.

And then in 2001 the stock markets crashed (9/11) (people lost big on their 401k's). In regard to hourly employees being able to purchase company stock.... ONLY after it went to the IPO of $50...some dollars....which prior to the IPO was $25 and some change... This was when management was able to "hypo"thecate their $25+ shares.....AND use their existing 401k money to purchase additional shares at $25+......making many management people millionaires.. How many hourly people back then (retiring today) had enough money to purchase enough B stock at $50+ per share. ALSO......we hourly were FORCED to get out of the THRIFT plan which little did we know was actually Class A stock..... ..yes...I as an hourly wanted to buy all the UPS stock I could using my existing 401k money but was NOT ALLOWED by the company UNTIL the stock price doubled in the IPO.... Really didn't leave me feel like investing in UPS at that point...