Read the customer comments, they are better than the video!!!

HomeDelivery

Pride in one's job should not be dependent upon your hourly wage.

that HD driver wasn't getting paid by the hour; shoulda known that by now

the only drivers getting paid by the hour in this division are the temps

I agree that guy had to be fired

even with lower pay than UPS, I wouldn't have done what he did... but my work-ethic is old-school like some other vets i'm seeing in both sides of the same industry

& today's "kids" as well as some HD drivers that have lost the "zest" for this job are performing poorly from what i'm seeing lately

if you can't hold the "purple promise", move on already

PS: i've turned down so many contractors this peak, it isn't funny since they'll go broke trying to match the OT i'll be getting starting next week (but i'll help them find "good" workers out of the temp pool)

FedExer267

You don't know that. I think for most how much they care is in direct relation to how much they have to lose. You get what you pay for.
That is exactly the attitude going through my building. I do not condone throwing boxes however I know there are drivers slammed with freight working over 14 hours a day, speeding to make deliveries, getting in wrecks, all with no breaks and no lunches. That being said when they get in a wreck or back into something because they are trying to get all their deliveries done to only be shown the door, why would anyone that works under these circumstances care. In most cases you will get as good as you are willing to give. A lesson FedEx has not learned yet.

FedExer267

Well when the economy turns around and all the good jobs come back...
Thats right bbsam, untill then you can work 2 jobs like the rest of us. Thats what makes this situation sad working way beyond what you get paid for then trucking off to your next job because the company you work for is to cheap to pay you a decent wage. Maybe this is why buildings are having problems keeping drivers they either quit or get fired because they just don't care anymore. Experienced drivers will not work at FedEx for long once they know how the system works. Most of the Experienced drivers that have been hired in my building have left after 3 days. You know where all their freight goes right, on our trucks work harder for the same pay. What a joke.

Then there are the drivers lawsuits against their employer because they make below minimum wage. In many cases they never make it to court because the Contractor runs for the hills because they know they will be paying out lots of money. Again the system FedEx has created.

FedExer267

well bbsam I guess you work in neverland. I have no idea what your building is like all I can tell you what I see in mine. I cannot tell you how many days there are Contractors flipping out because their new employee has called in and said they are done or not called at all. This is exactly what happens when contractors expect quality out of drivers but are not willing to pay quality wages. In my building that is the way things go and I am pretty sure its like that elsewhere.
Not too long ago I had a Contractor trying to get me to come work for him. So I asked him what was the pay, he told me 700 so of course I was intrested that is until he said every 2 weeks. 350 a week what a joke. Oh the best part was I would be working 60 hours a week, really a whole 5.83 a hour where do I sign up.

vantexan

well bbsam I guess you work in neverland. I have no idea what your building is like all I can tell you what I see in mine. I cannot tell you how many days there are Contractors flipping out because their new employee has called in and said they are done or not called at all. This is exactly what happens when contractors expect quality out of drivers but are not willing to pay quality wages. In my building that is the way things go and I am pretty sure its like that elsewhere.
Not too long ago I had a Contractor trying to get me to come work for him. So I asked him what was the pay, he told me 700 so of course I was intrested that is until he said every 2 weeks. 350 a week what a joke. Oh the best part was I would be working 60 hours a week, really a whole 5.83 a hour where do I sign up.

Geez, how long can Ground last doing things this way?

whenIgetthere

Geez, how long can Ground last doing things this way?

It'll last as long as the customer is lead to believe Fedex as a whole cares about service. We know that's BS, it will be only a matter of time before evryone realizes that's not so! Once that cherade (sp?) is broken, maybe not long. Look at the way customers look at Express? How many times has someone remarked about the wages we make being comparable to UPS? Now consider that many of these people think Ground and HD are paid on a par with Express!

HomeDelivery

So I asked him what was the pay, he told me 700 so of course I was intrested that is until he said every 2 weeks. 350 a week what a joke. Oh the best part was I would be working 60 hours a week, really a whole 5.83 a hour where do I sign up.

are you sure he meant $700 per week, and not really every 2 weeks???

I was getting $750 per week MINIMUM with a contractor (~ 80-100 stops per day)

& i didn't care how many hours i was working per week since it was summer time and dusk is at 1930-2000
---------------------------

now, it's peak season, i'd rather just be a trainer & show the new hires the SAFE method & will do my job as directed without cutting corners (properly DR packages, door tagging, using weather bags, etc)

but, if they want to join a contractor, i'll show them how to be more efficient than following those turn-by-turns to increase their "sporh"

how to skip lunches or bring finger foods to snack on during the day,

the porta johnny taxi cab trick,

flashlights & gps use during night deliveries,

how to log on - off the scanner ASAP to meet DOT hours,

how to make those door tags into package tags instead of properly filling them out,

etc...

vantexan

It'll last as long as the customer is lead to believe Fedex as a whole cares about service. We know that's BS, it will be only a matter of time before evryone realizes that's not so! Once that cherade (sp?) is broken, maybe not long. Look at the way customers look at Express? How many times has someone remarked about the wages we make being comparable to UPS? Now consider that many of these people think Ground and HD are paid on a par with Express!

Seems like the only way they could shift P2 over to Ground from Express is to pay Ground better. If not and that extra volume is put on Ground drivers there'd most likely be a mass exodus. Where would the extra pay come from? Tens of thousands of Express couriers suddenly getting 35 hrs a week with no P2 to deliver. If OT is eliminated, and not getting a full 40, would save them a huge amount of money. They could kick some Ground's way to hire extra drivers and hopefully pay better to retain them. And most likely top us out at Express faster to make up for not getting OT. Most likely the one's at Express really hurting are current topped out employees who'll see a substantial reduction in hrs and thus pay. For the rest of us it'll be a wash if we top out quickly. That's my theory anyways, we'll see.

vantexan

And another theory is that they are conditioning us right now with pushing us to hit 100%. If P2 is sent to Ground they'll want us to get off clock as quickly as possible, no milking.

FedExer267

are you sure he meant $700 per week, and not really every 2 weeks???

I was getting $750 per week MINIMUM with a contractor (~ 80-100 stops per day)

& i didn't care how many hours i was working per week since it was summer time and dusk is at 1930-2000

now, it's peak season, i'd rather just be a trainer & show the new hires the SAFE method & will do my job as directed without cutting corners (properly DR packages, door tagging, using weather bags, etc)

but, if they want to join a contractor, i'll show them how to be more efficient than following those turn-by-turns to increase their "sporh"

how to skip lunches or bring finger foods to snack on during the day,

the porta johnny taxi cab trick,

flashlights & gps use during night deliveries,

how to log on - off the scanner ASAP to meet DOT hours,

how to make those door tags into package tags instead of properly filling them out,

etc...
HD he specified 700 every 2 weeks. That does not suprise me because we have guys in our building making 350 to 500 a week with 100 stops a day. They also expect you to go out for a week of training on routes with no pay because you are just learning the area. Like I said in a earlier post there are drivers suiing their Contractors for unfair pay. The guys who make 500 or less and work over 60+ hours are making below minimum wage. 750 a week would be great in my building but that is unheard of which is why there is such high turnover. Most guys get paid 600 to 650 a week and stay at that wage for the duration of their employment. Those are the drivers who stay a little longer. I know some Contractors give out bonuses but that is rare in my building. So In my case I go out do my job get back to the building and go to my night job. I will not help out anyone just do my set route and pickups because I cannot affrord to be late to my night job. I am just glad my night job is down the street. I start at 630 every morning then get back around 520 and start my night job at 6 and work til 10. For now its all I can do. I would welcome a bonus but in 4 years have yet to see one. Oh wait I do get a 10 dollar gift card every Christmas for 7 11.