Reading Package labels as a Loader

How can you avoid miss sorts from reading the packages? How do you read them?

• Read all the packages and any package with numbers that stands out shouldnt be loaded

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The numbers on the package should match the trailer number

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Loyee Kotee

I haven't quite got the hang of reading the packages to know what trailer they should be loaded in. I know that any package that has a different number than most of the volume doesn't belong in the trailer. I wanna be sure though. I work at a ground hub but were moving to a new location and I was told that were getting rid of the scanners and are only loading the packages. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to know how to read the packages so I can avoid miss sorts. If the numbers on the package label match the trailer number, whats the formula I need to know to accurately load the packages?

J

jibbs

Personally, I've never loaded feeder trailers before.

Do you guys use anything similar to PAL labels, or do you skim the address and go from there?

J

jibbs

Okay, well since you're unavailable to clarify, here's the trick: You read the label (whichever label that is), and then you look up to make sure the truck you're walking/throwing into is the truck corresponding to the label.

Load by zip code? Check zip codes. Load by PAL? Read the PAL-- truck number AND shelf number. Load by shovel? Fuggit, bro, just keep doin' what you're doin'.

It's not difficult. The tricky part is being able to stay calm and remain working efficiently while simultaneously being overwhelmed, which happens fairly often.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Find out what the SLIC range is for your trailer. So if you're loading a preload trailer you know you should only see say NE 681s. If you're loading an area you should only see NE 681-689, or something like that. Use the SLICs to help you, it's way easier and way quicker than individual zips.

I'm willing to bet though if you aren't scanning you are going automated in some way, that should help, but I'm sure you will still see missorts from time to time.

Loyee Kotee

Personally, I've never loaded feeder trailers before.

Do you guys use anything similar to PAL labels, or do you skim the address and go from there?

I believe we've been using PAL labels and motorola scanners to verify which trailer the packages go to

Loyee Kotee

Find out what the SLIC range is for your trailer. So if you're loading a preload trailer you know you should only see say NE 681s. If you're loading an area you should only see NE 681-689, or something like that. Use the SLICs to help you, it's way easier and way quicker than individual zips.

I'm willing to bet though if you aren't scanning you are going automated in some way, that should help, but I'm sure you will still see missorts from time to time.
I think I'm gonna try and do this.

Loyee Kotee

Okay, well since you're unavailable to clarify, here's the trick: You read the label (whichever label that is), and then you look up to make sure the truck you're walking/throwing into is the truck corresponding to the label.

Load by zip code? Check zip codes. Load by PAL? Read the PAL-- truck number AND shelf number. Load by shovel? Fuggit, bro, just keep doin' what you're doin'.

It's not difficult. The tricky part is being able to stay calm and remain working efficiently while simultaneously being overwhelmed, which happens fairly often.
The truck number is the number I see when I look to the left as soon as I enter a trailer right?

Loyee Kotee

When loading by zip codes am I checking for any zip that isn't the same as the rest of the packages? What exactly am I checking for?

J

jibbs

When loading by zip codes am I checking for any zip that isn't the same as the rest of the packages? What exactly am I checking for?

Focus on Frigid's feedback. His is infinitely more valuable than mine because he's actually familiar with the loading of trailers.

Me, I'd have to ask you questions and get answers and then maybe another round of questions and answers before I could really give you any decent, trailer-specific advice. I load package cars, brutha. Whole different ballgame.