Ready to retire "Happy, Wild, and Free"

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I noticed that there are several people who plan to retire in the next year and I thought I would post my approach and preparation for retirement which I am executing as I post this:
[h=1]When you retire, you have to replace 3 things that UPS gives you now.
1) A sense of COMMUNITY
2) A STRUCTURE to your day
3) A sense of PURPOSE

I seriously suggest buying this book and prepare for the emotional side of retirement.
http://www.amazon.com/How-Retire-Hap.../dp/096941949X

I will am doing Photography myself.
I spent 3 years preparing for retirement and as I enter retirement from UPS, I will be:
1) Teaching at a local college in the Adult Continuing Education department.
2) President of the local Photography club
3) Serve on the North Georgia Camera Council
4) Travel to other clubs and critique their monthly photo review/contests
5) Lead Photography workshops (Tetons, Appalachians and Gulf Coast)
6) Execute photography jobs

I credit this book (and my common sense) in having a full and robust retirement that I can ease into and keep myself in a positive frame of mind and a sense of purpose.

I think it is important that every retiree consider these things so they don't wind up as a statistic of "another retiree dead within 2 years".[/h]

texan

I noticed that there are several people who plan to retire in the next year and I thought I would post my approach and preparation for retirement which I am executing as I post this:
When you retire, you have to replace 3 things that UPS gives you now.
1) A sense of COMMUNITY
3) A sense of PURPOSE

I seriously suggest buying this book and prepare for the emotional side of retirement.

I spent 3 years preparing for retirement and as I enter retirement from UPS, I will be:

I credit this book (and my common sense) in having a full and robust retirement that I can ease into and keep myself in a positive frame of mind and a sense of purpose.

I think it is important that every retiree consider these things so they don't wind up as a statistic of "another retiree dead within 2 years".
Great post.

One must plan and get ready.

It is so sad to me when I go to PX / BX and some of the same older people (retires) are there
in the food court all day.

They hang out on base and can not get away from that environment.

E Roldan

Congrats on your retirement, seems like the key to staying alive is to stay busy! Mazel tov!

P.S. I totally hear you on the BX thing it’s pretty sad

trickpony1

You might check into the Patriot Guard Riders in your area.
This is a closely knit group that offers honor, dignity and respect to the fallen Vet and comfort for the family.
The PGR tries to fulfill any requests of the family.
The PGR participates in other military/veterans related events also.

It is a common misconception that PGR members must be Veterans and ride a motorcycle. This isn't true.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You might check into the Patriot Guard Riders in your area.
This is a closely knit group that offers honor, dignity and respect to the fallen Vet and comfort for the family.
The PGR tries to fulfill any requests of the family.
The PGR participates in other military/veterans related events also.

It is a common misconception that PGR members must be Veterans and ride a motorcycle. This isn't true.
I cannot wait to retire, but I dont want to be old. I will follow in my fathers footsteps, and he always said he didnt know how he had time to work, LOL.
I cant wait to have a real Christmas, time with the family I have left, and just time. I will be involved in meaningful causes such as patriot guard, and many others. My life will be new!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The worst would be for any of us to finally get to our retirement date only to ask ourselves "What now?".

Hoke is 100% correct---retirement planning is not just financial.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Lots of folks have "stuff" they have to put off because they work.......

After almost 13 years of retirement, my 20 + books I'm finally going to read are still 20+. I'll get around to it someday!!

oldupsman

When you retire, you have to replace 3 things that UPS gives you now.
1) A sense of COMMUNITY
3) A sense of PURPOSE

I think it is important that every retiree consider these things so they don't wind up as a statistic of "another retiree dead within 2 years".
Well Hoax, first of all I'm really happy for you. You deserve it. Second, to each his own. I retired with absolutely no plan whatever.
I had no clue whatsoever of what I was going to do. Only plan I had was to take care of my health. And you know what? Things just happened.
Worked part time for a buddy here, worked around my own place. I had no set plan and yet never got bored. Something always came up.
Now I have a part time job working on the grounds crew for the local minor league baseball team. This winter? I'm just putzing around.
Too many people ask themselves, "What am I going to do?" and then up staying at UPS 5 more years than they have too. Don't worry about what you're
going to do. Just get the hell out. Good things happen to good people.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well Hoax, first of all I'm really happy for you. You deserve it.

Second, to each his own. I retired with absolutely no plan whatever.
Good things happen to good people.

1) Thanks.

2) I don't disagree with that and I probably over did it as related to myself.
I personally know 2 people that did not have a plan and when they retired they eventually went into depression.
One died of a heart attack after 2 1/2 years and another is a mental wreck - obsesses on everything. He is doing better though and getting out more.

I started "interviewing" retirees about 9 years ago. About half said they retired at the right time and about half said they wished they had worked longer. Except for 3 of about 25-30, they all went back to work within 2 years or did charity work because they needed something to do and a purpose.
Note: These were all men so I don't have any advice for women.

I was "afraid" that if I did not have something planned to do, I would sit around and watch TV and post on Brown Cafe and Facebook.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Finances are all important to your retirement, so your advice sucks!!

What if he used the work "dictate" instead of "impact"?

Your retort was my impulsive feeling as well.

Once you have housing (structure, utilities, etc.) and healthcare taken care of the basic necessities are all that is important.
Do you need to travel to Hawaii and Vegas? One's desire for such niceties as this have to be weighed against continued working if you are miserable at work.
If you have cable or satellite TV, you can get broadcast TV and save $150/month.
No cell phone - 100 - 150 or more a month.
Smaller house = less utilities.
Move to a smaller house in a less costly location. People are buying previously $500,000 houses on acreage in the mountains for $149,000 or less.
There are alternatives to maintaining current cost of living versus downsizing to a cheaper are.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
2) I don't disagree with that and I probably over did it as related to myself.
I personally know 2 people that did not have a plan and when they retired they eventually went into depression.
One died of a heart attack after 2 1/2 years and another is a mental wreck - obsesses on everything. He is doing better though and getting out more.

I started "interviewing" retirees about 9 years ago. About half said they retired at the right time and about half said they wished they had worked longer. Except for 3 of about 25-30, they all went back to work within 2 years or did charity work because they needed something to do and a purpose.
Note: These were all men so I don't have any advice for women.

I was "afraid" that if I did not have something planned to do, I would sit around and watch TV and post on Brown Cafe and Facebook.

You should point your buddy toward volunteering; at his Church, at the Red Cross (They LOVE UPSers!), anywhere that he can be useful. With a UPS background, most volunteer agencies cry tears of joy when they see one of us coming. If he can drive a Red Cross ERV, he will be doing stuff at least 2-3 times a week, as the Red Cross responds to house fires and other "small" disasters almost every day. Nothing like that feeling of satisfaction helping some family sitting on the curb watching everything they own go up in smoke.

moreluck

golden ticket member
dictate, impact......the finances matter period the end!!!!

Without finances, there is no retirement.

think about retiring......nuff money?

Think about activities in retirement.......nuff money?

everything you want to do involves $$$$$$$

oldupsman

You should point your buddy toward volunteering; at his Church, at the Red Cross (They LOVE UPSers!), anywhere that he can be useful. With a UPS background, most volunteer agencies cry tears of joy when they see one of us coming. If he can drive a Red Cross ERV, he will be doing stuff at least 2-3 times a week, as the Red Cross responds to house fires and other "small" disasters almost every day. Nothing like that feeling of satisfaction helping some family sitting on the curb watching everything they own go up in smoke.
Hey, everybody loves retired UPSers. You go anywhere to volunteer or look for part time work and tell them you retired from UPS, all
they ask is when can you start. I'll bet that institution Hoax is going to teach at is thrilled to death to have him.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I want to see you retire and not have finances impact or define your retirement.

You can try to say what you meant, but your written statement is what it is !! It is flawed.
Oh, I'll book all right....reservations for dinner maybe!!
If he's able to retire when he wants to and be financially secure, that means he's avoided letting finances impact/dictate when he retires. That's also my goal. We've got a poster who has worked at UPS for 32 years and by his own admission doesn't have a dime in savings and therefore cannot afford to retire. That's someone who has allowed finances to impact/dictate the terms of his retirement.