REAL gop debate: has the gop lost touch with reality?

804brown

I'm talking about the regulations that tie the hands of businesses and sends them packing out of this country. Wall Street is one aspect of businesses

my favorite line from the article I posted was....
........."But, then should we have expected anything different from the Administration that the Wall Street Journal says has "turned a regulatory firehose" on American business?"..............
Countries like Germany have a more robust regulatory system and higher taxes yet it retains its businesses at higher wages than our country. Please, "ties the hands of businesses" ?? Protecting workers health and well being, protecting our water, land , air and food from polluters, etc is "tying" anyone's hands?? Well I guess that is why we are a better country to live in than China which exploits its workers, ignores health and safety concerns and pollutes at will. A decent regulatory system in a decent government should rule over a greedy rapacious strive for more profits!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Countries like Germany have a more robust regulatory system and higher taxes yet it retains its businesses at higher wages than our country. Please, "ties the hands of businesses" ?? Protecting workers health and well being, protecting our water, land , air and food from polluters, etc is "tying" anyone's hands?? Well I guess that is why we are a better country to live in than China which exploits its workers, ignores health and safety concerns and pollutes at will. A decent regulatory system in a decent government should rule over a greedy rapacious strive for more profits!!
We used to look out windows and see soot & smoke and black stuff. Those days are gone and regulations helped to get us there. Then they wanted to go too far. We already have clean and and clean water....good job!!
True, China's air is horrible.......we used to be horrible too. Businesses spend plenty to remain compliant to the present regulations. Make more and you'll bust them. You know, there is no "separation of air". Maybe China should be made to come up to our levels of clean air and then let's see how cheaply they'll be able to make things. Their dirty air goes up in the atmosphere too and it all mixes up there.

We would like a level playing field in manufacturing just like UPS would like a level playing field with FDX.

Klein still thinks that LA is black with smog. We have some of the bluest skies I've ever seen.

The boundaries of all the countries don't go up in the sky. All their crap air becomes everyone's crap air. There's no wall up there!

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Germany has a stable, well-defined regulatory system and they don't threaten their domestic businesses and declare them the enemy of the state. Another aspect is that Germany creates an environment protecting existing medium and smaller businesses. Look up how many Wal-Marts there are in Germany.

And to the real point of regulations affecting US businesses - it is all about the uncertainty about future regulations. A good example is the half-assed National healthcare bill (ObamaCare) that was passed. Companies don't know how this new social program is going to affect them. And they don't know what other laws and regulations the "hostile to business" Obama administration will send their way.

One interesting point you brought up is the deregulation that has taken place over the last 40 years. This deregulation is not good for the businesses but for the consumer - that is it's purpose. Regulation (if stable and well-defined as in Germany) helps the businesses but hurt the consumers.

804brown

We used to look out windows and see soot & smoke and black stuff. Those days are gone and regulations helped to get us there. Then they wanted to go too far. We already have clean and and clean water....good job!!
True, China's air is horrible.......we used to be horrible too. Businesses spend plenty to remain compliant to the present regulations. Make more and you'll bust them. You know, there is no "separation of air". Maybe China should be made to come up to our levels of clean air and then let's see how cheaply they'll be able to make things. Their dirty air goes up in the atmosphere too and it all mixes up there.

We would like a level playing field in manufacturing just like UPS would like a level playing field with FDX.

Klein still thinks that LA is black with smog. We have some of the bluest skies I've ever seen.

The boundaries of all the countries don't go up in the sky. All their crap air becomes everyone's crap air. There's no wall up there!

Agreed polution has no boundaries. Also agreed a level playing field in which standards go up not down. But how come China has to go to our "higher" standards but we cant go up to germany's "high" standards.

804brown

Germany has a stable, well-defined regulatory system and they don't threaten their domestic businesses and declare them the enemy of the state. Another aspect is that Germany creates an environment protecting existing medium and smaller businesses. Look up how many Wal-Marts there are in Germany.

And to the real point of regulations affecting US businesses - it is all about the uncertainty about future regulations. A good example is the half-assed National healthcare bill (ObamaCare) that was passed. Companies don't know how this new social program is going to affect them. And they don't know what other laws and regulations the "hostile to business" Obama administration will send their way.

One interesting point you brought up is the deregulation that has taken place over the last 40 years. This deregulation is not good for the businesses but for the consumer - that is it's purpose. Regulation (if stable and well-defined as in Germany) helps the businesses but hurt the consumers.

You are correct the Affordable Care Act is HALF assed. But it certainly is not a "national" healthcare system. It pushes people into the arms of Big Pharma and Big Insurance and Big Hospitals- the greedy private corporations that drain our system. To me a Medicare for all would have been best . So in a way im routing for the Supreme Ct to reject it.

Companies didnot know how Medicare would affect them back in the 1960s too but we all survived that. We are all better that politicians made that decision .