Real Maple Syrup or Aunt Jemima/Pancakes-Waffles-French Toast?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have to do sugar-free.....Mrs. Butterworth's is my favorite.......if I have blueberries or blackberries, I'll do my own compote with Splenda.

klein

Für Meno :)
Nothing, but Butter !

All you need to do is look at the ingredients on the labels/containers, and anyone wise would choose butter !
(butter : cream, salt, and may contain color) - That's it !
(margarine : too many to name, and non pronouncable) !

Here's more facts :

Margarine is made by adding hydrogen atoms to the fat molecules to make them more saturated, raising the melting point of the fat so it remains a solid at room temperature, i.e., the margarine won't run all over the table. This process, called "hydrogenation", requires the presence of a metal catalyst and temperatures of about 500°friend (260°C) for the reaction to take place. It causes about half of the cis- bonds to flip over into a trans- configuration.
Hydrogenation became popular in the US because this type of oil doesn't spoil or become rancid as readily as regular oil and therefore has a longer shelf-life. You can leave a cube of margarine sitting out for years and it will not be touched by moulds, insects or rodents. Margarine is a non-food! It would appear that only humans are foolish enough to eat it! Because the fats in margarine are partially hydrogenated (i.e., not fully saturated), the manufacturers can claim it is "polyunsaturated" and market it to us as a healthy food.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Nothing, but Butter !

All you need to do is look at the ingredients on the labelsécontainers, and anyone wise would choose butter !
(butter : cream, salt, and may contain color) - That's it !
(margarine : too many to name, and non pronouncable) !

Here's more facts :

Margarine is made by adding hydrogen atoms to the fat molecules to make them more saturated, raising the melting point of the fat so it remains a solid at room temperature, i.e., the margarine won't run all over the table. This process, called "hydrogenation", requires the presence of a metal catalyst and temperatures of about 500°friend (260°C) for the reaction to take place. It causes about half of the cis- bonds to flip over into a trans- configuration.
Hydrogenation became popular in the US because this type of oil doesn't spoil or become rancid as readily as regular oil and therefore has a longer shelf-life. You can leave a cube of margarine sitting out for years and it will not be touched by moulds, insects or rodents. Margarine is a non-food! It would appear that only humans are foolish enough to eat it! Because the fats in margarine are partially hydrogenated (i.e., not fully saturated), the manufacturers can claim it is "polyunsaturated" and market it to us as a healthy food.

Just saying butter would have been fine.

outta hours

i dont mean to brag i dont mean to boast
but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast
rock it up baby bubbah
baby bubbah to the boogie da bang bang da boogie
to the beat beat, its so unique
come on everybody and dance to the beat

moreluck

golden ticket member
About "organic". Friends of ours work for Subway in procuring all their veggies....tomatoes, lettuce, etc. The guy told us over dinner that "organic" was the worst! People pay mega-high prices for organic and it's the worst culprit when it comes to sicknesses. Someone need to tell Kate Gosselin about that.

He said the run of the mill grocery store produce is healthier. He also informed us that Subway 'farmers' have no elec. wires over their fields of crops to prevent birds from landing & pooping on things. They have all kinds of rules for the farms they buy from.

People think organic is better.

Plain old butter at our house.

NHDRVR

In NH it is unlawful to use the word 'maple' on any product if it doesn't contain real maple syrup as defined by the state of NH. McDonald's is finding this out the hard way with their new oatmeal since it has maple flavoring. Word is, they are trying to incorporate real maple syrup into the product.

Imagine that, using unrefined syrup in what is essentially a completely refined and processed breakfast. What will the masses do???

FTR, we are taking more offense to this up here than we do electing politicians....go figure, lol.

PhatAzz

Log Cabin at my house AND French Toast. Nobody makes it better than I do. The grandkids love "Papa's" French Toast. Look at my screen name!!!

klein

Für Meno :)
Don't matter which butter.
Unsalted butter should only list cream as an ingredient (and may contain color)
Salted butter (cream and salt - may contain color).

They only add food coloring to butter in the winter months, in colder climates (when the cows no longer get fresh gras/feed to eat).
Without fresh gras, the color of the cream/butter becomes more white. The Dairies then add a bit of coloring to it, to have a consistent butter color all year round.

If someone was to buy organic butter in the winter months, it would be whiter, and probably unsalted or maybe salted with sea-salt ??.

Salt is not only added for favor, but also as a preserative, to give it a longer shelf life and will not spoil as quickly as the non-salted butter.

Btw: I only bought the organic syrup because it was on sale, and cheaper then the normal kind.
It happens now and then, that even organic produce might be cheaper then non -organic.
Depends if it's on sale !
What's ever cheaper works for me !

I noticed Safeway for example only has organic baby peeled carrots here now. It's ok, on sale this week $1.49 for a 2 lb bag.
I assume all the baby carrot growers in the area here, qualified as being organic.

Here's the 100% pure maple syrup I have currently :
00079893405704.jpg

Last edited:

curiousbrain

This discussion has prompted me to actually get off my butt, look halfway presentable, drive to Denny's, and eat something with maple syrup on it.