Real Safety Tips

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
Just out of curiosity, how many times have you guys gotten lucky and seen a whole lot more than just a thigh or boob shot?

I've gotten way more than that...unfortunately. It's usually the guys who come to the door in their boxer shorts that don't seem to have a button fly...:sick::not_fair:

satellitedriver

I wonder if anyone else has any. A veteran driver told me this about 15 yrs ago. " If you're constantly picking your pen off the floor, you aren't using your legs when you pick up packages." That has stuck with me all these years, and I don't have to memorize anything.
Many years back, UPS gave out a marble for drivers to put into their shirt pocket, for that exact same reason.
We lose pens all the time, but when you heard the "thunk" of the marble hitting the ground it made you "think" about what just happened.
It was one of the best teaching tools of proper body mechanics, by UPS.
IMHO,
The approach our company has taken in reducing injuries, by memorization is ludicrous.
Small wonder that UPS has the dubious honor of having the highest worker injury rate per employee in the US.
Longlunchguy,
I was fortunate enough to start working at a young age surrounded by older workers who taught me by example and guidance.
Safety is really very simple.
Always be aware of what you are doing and what is around you.
Excuse me for my rant.

satellitedriver

satellite, is that a figure of speech, or are you serious?
I was being very serious.
UPS has the highest worker injury rate per employee in the U.S..
This is based on published info from about two years ago.
I truly doubt we have become #2 in the last two years.
The push on safety is not based on a concern for safety of employees, it is based on simple worker comp claims and lost time injuries costing the company( read that as bean counters) loss of profit.
Just do a little Google search work, the facts are there.
Our rear view cameras were installed because of a lawsuit where a young boy died.
The Father of the young child did not sue for money. He sued to force UPS to make sure, as possible, that this type of accident would not occur again. UPS settled with him by installing our rear views.
The old UPS was very efficient and concerned with where all pennies were spent, but at the same time had a genuine concern for it's employees.
Those days have long past.
So,
I will lift a cup to auld lang syne.

browniehound

Many years back, UPS gave out a marble for drivers to put into their shirt pocket, you heard the "thunk" of the marble hitting the ground it made you "think" about what just happened.
It was one of the best teaching tools of proper body mechanics, by UPS.
IMHO,
The approach our company has taken in reducing injuries, by memorization is ludicrous.

Sat, I think you hit the nail on the head as square as humanly possible. I want to say it is an excellent post/idea.

What does memorizing and reciting the methods do if we don't practice them?

I think its much more effective to put a marble in your shirt pocket and try not to drop it all day. This way, we are always using our legs instead of back.

I think we should all know the 5 seeing habits, 10-pt. commentary, etc, but I believe it will not prevent injuries and accients by itself.

The point of my rant is that I disagree with memorization. It helps in one way and that's you can't practice it unless you know it.

Our annual 'space and vis' are now all day long. My opinion is for less emphasis on being able to recite the methods and more emphasis on actually doing these things.

My unconventional thinking would have the sup. do the job in front of me for at least an hour to demonstrate how it should be done. I know it would never happen, but its a good idea, right?

This is the only criticism I have with the supervisors. I would like to see him run the route as well as me. I have never had a 3-day ride. If I did I would take it very personal. My response would be "you're here for 3 days to show me how to do MY job when YOU CAN'T do it yourself?"

If my sup. did my route for 5 days straight he would still be more than an hour 'over' on the 5th day.

How is someone who can't do the route as efficently as me supposed to show me how to do it more efficiently?

This is my biggest question.

outta hours

Just out of curiosity, how many times have you guys gotten lucky and seen a whole lot more than just a thigh or boob shot?

That's one thing about driving at night you see all kinds of things, some good and some scary. Even the good stuff starts out a little unnerving when a car pulls up and stays directly beside you. As you are not sure what their intentions are. I hate for anyone to be right next to me as I drive my set down the road. But then when the dome light comes on and it's a car full of college girls laughing and waving you know whats coming next.:wink2:

over9five

Staff member
That's one thing about driving at night you see all kinds of things, some good and some scary. Even the good stuff starts out a little unnerving when a car pulls up and stays directly beside you. As you are not sure what their intentions are. I hate for anyone to be right next to me as I drive my set down the road. But then when the dome light comes on and it's a car full of college girls laughing and waving you know whats coming next.:wink2:

Too funny! That exact thing has happened to me! Pulling a set down to WORMA at 1am. Car pulls up beside my cab, I'm saying what the heck does this idiot want? Dome light pops on, topless girl!!! Hello!!!!

Makes my night!

Once while delivering a C.O.D. to a residence, I was standing in the doorway as the lady of the house wrote out a check, a girl around 17 or 18 was crossing the hall behind the consignee. The girl was in PJ bottoms and a not-so-loose fitting T-shirt, she stopped, smiled at me and raised the shirt over her head for about 5 seconds, put it down and walked on through to the next room. I was so shocked I couldn't talk, went back to the truck and continued on my day.

upsgrunt

Once while delivering a C.O.D. to a residence, I was standing in the doorway as the lady of the house wrote out a check, a girl around 17 or 18 was crossing the hall behind the consignee. The girl was in PJ bottoms and a not-so-loose fitting T-shirt, she stopped, smiled at me and raised the shirt over her head for about 5 seconds, put it down and walked on through to the next room. I was so shocked I couldn't talk, went back to the truck and continued on my day.

I believe everything except the last four words.:happy-very:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
ovah!! is that jeep still runnung up & down 495 flashing the rail rats, always looked for her but never saw her.... is that you who called me the other nite ?? I got a new phone,#'s got lost I think it was you if not csll me so i can reprogram it.....cove

rod

Retired 22 years

I think any driver that has a few years under his belt would have a story or two to tell. I always liked the old days better when you had real control over your clipboard and could use that advantage to get a boob shot. Sorry gals- every driver does it----------------except for maybe sexyupsmans driver.:peaceful:

jbomb1010

Of course you guys have all used the line to the good looking babe in the low cut blouse that " my diad is not working right and wont take a signature unless it is laying flat on a table" :wink2: havent you?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I've been there. I know exactly what you mean. For this reason when I am on the highway, either traveling in my personal vehicle or work vehicle, I don't lolly-gag behind, next to or in front of a semi. And it absolutely drives me crazy when I end up in a line of traffic b/c some maroon is afraid to pass one. Some people just don't have a clue.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think any driver that has a few years under his belt would have a story or two to tell. I always liked the old days better when you had real control over your clipboard and could use that advantage to get a boob shot. Sorry gals- every driver does it----------------except for maybe sexyupsmans driver.:peaceful:
LOL And who says us gals don't it too. There are alot of guys out there. I was going through St Louis one day (many years ago) and had a car full of guys come up next to me. They hung there for a while before I looked. One of the guys in the backseat was.......................ummm, having fun.:wink2:

greeny

Years ago they filmed a movie called strip tease,Demi Moore was the star.The cast and crew stayed at a apt complex on my route.one of the cast was Pandora Peaks she got pkgs every day thank god. 48 triple d and she was very proud of them. nothing beats the feeder night work if i told some of mine they'd kick me off the site.