Realistic Question From a Newbie

Greetings my fellow Brownies! My name is Matt and I have just passed my 90 day probationary period within Preload. Being that this is my introductory posting(my 1st) it is my top priority that I tell you a bit about myself. I do this within every forum for which I am involved. I do so that people will be aware ahead of time that I call things as I see them realistically. I am sure that many of you are of the same school of thought so I am only hoping that I am in the same company(no pun intended).

I have an honest question that I need answered. First a few statements, then the question.

I am in the midst of paying a $350 Union initiation fee. They are garnishing up to $45 per paycheck. I started at $9.85 an hour and have now seen a $1 raise thereby lifting my pay rate to $10.85. I live 14 miles from work of which is an uphill drive daily(more gas required to tackle the hill). I am claiming (3) dependents 'only' as a means of getting the most out of each check. I am getting anywhere between 21 and 23 1/2 hours per week. My only bills in this world are $45 a month(phone), $65 a month(auto insurance), $250-$300 a month(food) and GAS. That's it. What I do in the morning(loading 4 trucks) takes everything that my 40 year old bones have got energetically. I don't have much left over to take up a second part-time job. I just don't have it. I wish I did.

So... being that I now have (2) of my guns in the pawn shop and (2) of my guitars in the pawn shop because I literally do not make THE GAS that it takes to get to work. I am repeatedly told that this benefits package within my hands is worth so much $$$$$$ and that it needs to be considered in the Big Picture. Now...

The Question: Can someone within this forum tell me that this is all worth it somehow?

Signed,

Living in a cardboard box with a handsome benefits package for the next two years should I choose to stay.

HULKAMANIA

I guess it really depends on what you want out of it. Do you plan on trying to be a driver? Your first year or so in this company you get beat up so bad its unbelieveable-literally and figuratively. You do know you dont have to be a part of the union right? I mean thats just one option that would put $45 back in your pocket a month.

If you are looking for optimism this site is probably not the place to come, but then again you may hear exactly what you need to hear from someone. I hope the best for you though. I dont know what your center is like or what your aspirations are but have you considered being an air driver? Sometimes you are lucky and can be an air driver on Saturdays for extra cash?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First off, welcome to Brown Cafe. I for one will appreciate your candor.

Do any of your co-workers live near you or do they drive by or near your house on their way to/from work who you could share expenses with? Is mass transit an option? I would suggest a bike but 14 miles each way would be a long way to ride your bike each day.

You say that you are too tired to work a 2nd job but unless you decide to apply for food stamps or other public assistance then getting a 2nd job is your only other option. (I would say reduce your expenses but they are already pretty low) I would try to find a 2nd job somewhere between your cardboard box and work to make more money and to save on gas.

Hulk mentioned above about the possibility of not being in the union. Do you live in a RTW state? If so, this may be an option for you.

BrownArmy

As far as a second job goes, I know you feel beat-down by the work-load and it's effect on your body, so you feel like you couldn't swing another job.

I promise, it gets better.

It took my body about one year to get the hang of driving, and I was in good shape beforehand.

It's just like anything else, your body will get used to it, eventually.

So, you may feel now that you couldn't possibly get a 2nd job, but that will change (many guys in my center do the preload for the benefits, and have other jobs).

In terms of benefits, when they actually kick in, they're pretty worth it.

Sooo...overall is it worth it?

Only you can answer that question, but if there are no other immediate options for alternate work, I'd say stick with it.

Seems like you've been it long enough to know what the job actually is, so if you can hack it, etc.

Thank you for your responses!

I was expecting the very responses that I have been you've replied with so here are my answers: I have already been offered Saturday driver and declined for all the right reasons. Sometimes it takes someone who can see us from the outside-looking-in to put us into perspective. In this case it's my $120K a year making girlfriend when she very clearly pointed out, "I don't see you on Saturdays anyway because you sleep until the afternoon hours trying to make-up for what was lost during the week. Just how do you plan on coming up with the energy to tack-on a 5th work day?"

Well, she's right.

I don't have the energy in a day that most people have following the 1100 parcels that I touch daily and we haven't even seen the beginning of Peak yet. Our facility is so small for the volume that we have coming through there. Everyone knows it. It gets brought up in every single Safety Committee meeting that I attend(yes I'm on the Committee too).

So to answer your other questions: I don't really know that I want to be starting a driver program ahead of the holiday season peak. Having considered a Management position I've come to the conclusion that I refuse to treat other human beings the way management treat myself and others within our facility.

My next question is: If you didn't care to drive in the Bay Area of California and if you don't care to go into Management what else is there of upward mobility? I have been running WorldShip software as a shipper over the last, I dunno, 15 years... which I might add that our few Clerk positions remain very well coveted.

Any ideas?

Lolol! Chit.

If it weren't for her letting me live here I would be "Livin in my van... down by the river". Everyone that I know is telling me to not walk away from this job nor company. Thing is, I have not made this pitiful wage in over a decade. The benefits may be Great but I need to make a living too. It truly lowers any male's self esteem when it's his girlfriend paying for everything at the cash register... helping with gas... bringing home food... buying you clothes...

THIS is what UPS has brought me... and the joke is... I have voluntarily put myself in this position. See, our non-union competition(we won't name names) start their preloaders at $14.80 an hour, benefits at 90 days, same minimal upward mobility. Just a thought.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Lolol! Chit.

If it weren't for her letting me live here I would be "Livin in my van... down by the river". Everyone that I know is telling me to not walk away from this job nor company. Thing is, I have not made this pitiful wage in over a decade. The benefits may be Great but I need to make a living too. It truly lowers any male's self esteem when it's his girlfriend paying for everything at the cash register... helping with gas... bringing home food... buying you clothes...

THIS is what UPS has brought me... and the joke is... I have voluntarily put myself in this position. See, our non-union competition(we won't name names) start their preloaders at $14.80 an hour, benefits at 90 days, same minimal upward mobility. Just a thought.

Uh-oh---he's back.

If you are not planning on making this your career you should by all means go work at Ground.

I am the former CFO of a very large organic raw foods company. One might think there would be a position within UPS that would fit. I just want to know if you aren't interested in driving(immediately) and if you didn't want Management(immediately) what else is available to an entry-level employee?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are a number of non-union hourly and management support positions within the company that may interest you. Talk to your HR person.

Any reason you don't wish to pursue a similar role with another corporation?

anonymous4

Nothing union wise. Get in line. Otherwise pursue management. Surely they have room for a former CFO of a very large organic raw foods company.

Keeping my first post in mind(I often rub people the wrong way in my delivery calling things as I see them)...

I am NOT knocking the company nor am I harping any aspect of the company. If anything I am being inquisitive as to what else may be available. Here's the problem with HR: We share the same HR guy with one other location(Oakland). We spend our time in my location trying to track him down. Finding this guy is like looking for a needle in a haystack. We never know when he's going to be in our facility. It is by this that I have no idea what would be available to me which is in-turn why I am asking these questions within the forum here. :)

I'm not trying to play hardball here guys. Really. Am just having a hard time seeing a career "path" from where I am at this moment. On my belt alone there are 7 others who's average time with company is 5 years.

5 years as a pre-loader?!

That's what I'm getting at. How in the Hell does someone stay in preload 5 years? There has to be something wrong somewhere.

I greatly appreciate all of your responses. You've been a BIG help to me this morning. I'm just another lost newbie trying to educate myself. Nothing more. Nothing less.

anonymous4

I bet. In any case, 5 years is nothing. There is quite the lineup of decade+ employees waiting to make full time. Broken? According to some, not at all.

Upstate, "Any reason you don't wish to pursue a similar role with another corporation?" isn't a very promising response unless you're asking figuratively. I applied with UPS because I was told there would be upward mobility to those whom pursue it. I was told at the beginning that there are so many avenues for upward mobility within the company that the "possibilities are almost endless".

That... is what has kept me in pursuit of this. If it is not the case then they shouldn't "sell" it to us that way when applying for the job in the first place. Thing is, if you're an accurate pre-loader and are good at what you do- they'll keep you on the belt. You will not be informed of other openings because good pre-loaders are hard to come by. I have received the same conditioned response from multiple higher management when asking what else may be available. They know I'm good. They DO NOT want me off that belt.

pretzel_man

Just some thoughs:

- Most 40 year olds working PT are doing so for the insurance. You seem opposite of them. It's usually the 20 year olds who don't see that value.

- If your ride to work is uphill, your ride to work should be downhill. I assume that balances out. I'd guess you use a maybe a gallon and a half to commute. Even at $4 per gallon, that is a far cry from not making the GAS that it takes to get to work.

- Instead of worrying about a second part time job, why don't you just get one full time job?

- I'm sorry, but you seem to have a lot of reasons as to why you are a victim of your situation.....

Time to take charge. Go show your girlfriend that you still have Mojo. Got get three easier part time jobs. Get up before here and go to bed after. Go take control of your life, or you will have the same excuses at 50.

Best of luck.